Review by kwame1977 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Review by kwame1977 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by kwame1977 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! is a children’s book written by Len Foley and published in 2017. The main character of the story is called Sigfried. Sigfried felt uncomfortable due to an unpleasant smell he perceived in his house. He tried to find the source of this smell that has made him very uncomfortable. He considered all the possible sources. He examined various items; his books, food and clothing. Although this task wasn’t easy, it was a good adventure.

This is a colourful book with the pictures of Sigfried on most pages. The author has combined pictures with diagrams so children can easily understand the contents. He has used arrows to draw attention to items in his description. Some of the words have been highlighted and others are coloured. Few have been written in capital letters. The author has used lots of rhyming words to make reading interesting. I recommend this book to all children in the early childhood development. Children are exposed to the concepts of cleanliness.

However, I realized that some of the words and expressions are beyond the comprehension of children. The author should stress on the need for parental guidance which is very necessary. He should use simple vocabulary and expressions that children can understand. Also, I encountered one spelling mistake. The author must ensure that his books are well edited before publication. Furthermore, the illustrations in the book are below standard. The author must employ the services of a professional designer to assist him in doing this. I recommend the author uses either pictures or diagrams only in his books as the combination of both makes the reading unappealing.

Aside from these, the author did not provide any activity for children to do after reading. It is necessary for children to do an exercise or an activity to test their understanding. Children can be made to answer simple comprehension questions. They can also be made to colour a plain diagram of the main character of the story. The author can ask children to form simple sentences with some of the vocabularies or filling in some missing letters in words. Children love playing games. It is necessary to include some games so they can entertain themselves. Children learn best when they are engaged in an activity.

I see this piece of work done by Len Foley as an average work that needs improvement. I hope to read the next edition of this book so I can give good ratings. I, therefore, rate his book Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! 2 out of 4 stars.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwame1977's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I like your review! It's sad that the book isn't up to par. I just reviewed a children's book as well. If you could take a look at it and leave me a comment, I would appreciate it!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Your critique about this book is very interesting. I really like it. I agree the author has not included any exercise in the end of the book. Apart from this, the topic he has chosen to teach children, though interesting but is below standard. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I enjoyed your description of the book, but it's a pity you didn't enjoy the illustrations. I don't know the book, so I would have been interested to have some examples of words or expressions that you thought were too challenging.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It's not always easy to review a book that you find below standard. I think you did a good job of explaining why you didn't give a better rating for this one.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

Hey, Great Review. I also reviewed the same book. Would love to hear your comments on my review. Thanks.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Good idea for a next edition. I gave another idea for the book. But that I myself don't find much applicable.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”