Review by Libs_Books -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Review by Libs_Books -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Libs_Books »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I only had to read a brief outline of Charlie Sheldon’s novel Strong Heart to know that this book would appeal to me - and it certainly did not disappoint. Essentially, it’s the story of a journey – or, you might say, several journeys. As well as travelling in the traditional sense, there are travels through time, shamanistic travels in the spirit, and a journey of self-discovery, but they all come to one in the end. That might seem enigmatic, but it’s going to be difficult to say more about the plot without giving away too many spoilers.

The core of the story involves a group of people trekking through the Olympic National Park which, for those of you who – like me – have never heard of it before, is in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. Apart from any other virtues, the book really made me want to go there and see it for myself. One of the group, Tom, aims to visit his grandfather’s grave, and two Native American friends are going along to keep him company; they take with them Tom’s feisty young granddaughter, Sarah, whose existence was unknown to him until she landed up on his doorstep just a few hours before they were due to set out. In many ways, the book is Sarah’s story and she certainly develops into an engaging character; her companions are also strong and credible creations.

At first I found the writing style a little stilted, but I didn’t notice that once the story took off, which it did pretty quickly; taken overall, I think the book is well-written and it’s also professionally edited and presented. The tone and subject matter remind me a little of early work by Barbara Kingsolver (specifically, Pigs in Heaven). Furthermore, for me, the passages that go back into pre-history stand comparison with Golding’s The Inheritors. I mean, I know Golding is Great Literature and all, but I actually enjoyed this more. What’s terrific about these pre-history episodes – there are two, each several chapters in length – is the way the style changes to reflect the likely limitations on linguistic expression at that time.

One of the many things I liked about the book is the way that it doesn’t condescend to the reader: some of the conversations are complex and, occasionally, enigmatic, so you have to work to make sense of what is going on. It’s also intellectually quite rich, tackling, amongst other things, theories of migration relating to the question of how and when native peoples first began to populate North America.

I have to say, though, that I found the ending a bit of a let down. I appreciate that real life tends not to give us neat endings, but I just felt too many threads were left dangling. I gather that this book is planned as the first in a series, so it feels as though the lack of resolution is a bit of a ploy to make you want to read the next one. To be honest, even though I'm a bit annoyed by that, it still works - I will look forward to the second book - and probably the third, too.

All in all, I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I marked it down a bit because of the ending, but, If you’re a fan of this type of literature, it’s a great read.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Libs_Books's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

[/quote]The core of the story involves a group of people trekking through the Olympic National Park which, for those of you who – like me – have never heard of it before, is in the Pacific Northwest of the United States. Apart from any other virtues, the book really made me want to go there and see it for myself. One of the group, Tom, aims to visit his grandfather’s grave, and two Native American friends are going along to keep him company; they take with them Tom’s feisty young granddaughter, Sarah, whose existence was unknown to him until she landed up on his doorstep just a few hours before they were due to set out.[/quote]

Your short summary of this book is giving me a hint that this book has a touch of mystery. If I'm in the shoes of Tom, I would surely get shocked of the existence of an unknown granddaughter.

I was intrigued by the Pigs in Heaven that you mentioned. I wonder if there are really pigs in heaven or it's just an idiomatic expression - which means other things which I don't know about.

I'm sorry for your dismay on the ending of this story. Maybe, it just gives way to another sequel.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I liked your description of the author's description of the Pacific Northwest. I agree that it really makes you want to go see it. It even if the ending wasn't what you were expecting, it was a great read. Nice job.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Dolor wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 14:00Your short summary of this book is giving me a hint that this book has a touch of mystery. If I'm in the shoes of Tom, I would surely get shocked of the existence of an unknown granddaughter.
Yes, other people have used the word 'mystery' in talking about the book. There's certainly a mystic, spiritual dimension, but the way Tom comes to have a granddaughter without knowing anything about it is well explained.
I was intrigued by the Pigs in Heaven that you mentioned. I wonder if there are really pigs in heaven or it's just an idiomatic expression
I believe it's just another name for the constellation that's more generally known as the Seven Sisters.
I'm sorry for your dismay on the ending of this story. Maybe, it just gives way to another sequel.
Yes, I'm glad there are plans for a sequel. Thanks for your comments.

And thanks, kdstrack, for your kind encouragement.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I like how you constructed the summary - that's a really innovative way of putting it. I haven't read the book, but I do have an idea what the story is all about, and I was initially not very interested. I certainly have a newer perspective after reading your review, although your note on the ending is a bit bothersome for me. I think I'd wait until the entire series is done and see where the author takes the story.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

inaramid wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 20:13 I like how you constructed the summary - that's a really innovative way of putting it.
Thanks for that comment, inaramid - I wasn't trying to be different, but just felt that a flat summary wouldn't do the book any favours.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

That's really an interesting story. Journey to Olympic peninsula and its geographical details are amazing. Thanks for your review. I have also reviewed this book. You can check it out if you like.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I'm not surprised you've been able to write such a perfect review for this book. You have actually visited this place. I wish to visit this place also;but am from Africa. The cost of travelling is high. I hope one day I will make it.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for dropping by, kwame1977, and for your kind comment. Just to clarify: I have never actually been to any part of the Americas - I just said the book made me want to go and see for myself.

Thanks also Sarah Tariq - I appreciated your review and, if I haven't already left a comment, will do so soon.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I am not sure the book is for me, however, I did enjoy your review. Is quite refreshing and well written.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks, kislany, for your positive feedback.
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

Beautifully written! I just submitted my review of this story and had a hard time with summarizing it, you nailed it. I am actually from Washington State and have been to the Olympic National Forest many times. It IS fantastic, the author did it justice in his descriptions. I hope you get the chance to visit one day :)
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Thank you! There are quite a few places in the States I'd like to see, but that is pretty much top of my list now.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I originally passed on a review for this over another book, thinking it wouldn't be in my taste, but now I'm headdesking and wonder what I was thinking. It sounds like it's perfect for me! Great review!
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks, maggiechap - maybe you'll get to do the second one, which I believe is due out quite soon.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”