Review by Camille Turner -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Review by Camille Turner -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Camille Turner »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Everyone should take the time to read Van Fleisher’s life-changing book, Final Notice, which could not be a more accurate depiction of current issues with which the United States is grappling daily. The book interweaves the lives of many relatable characters with various backgrounds and does not shy away from addressing the myriad of different perspectives in regards to guns, technology, healthcare, politicians, immigration, racism, the treatment of the elderly, climate change and much more. While some characters’ stories build throughout the book, we are only given a glimpse of others’ lives, though I found some of those glimpses to be the most moving of all.

Final Notice takes place a few years into the future with an American backdrop in which guns are more accessible than ever — and more popular amongst the elderly — and technology has gone farther than expected. VitalTech, a young company, has begun testing a new smart watch which, through advanced vital sign technology, can accurately predict a person’s death up to 30 days in advance. The knowledge of impending death causes people to react in many different ways, some using it to take revenge or political action without culpability and others using it to give back to the community and say goodbye to loved ones.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, as I simply found no areas in which it lacks substance or is poorly written. On the contrary, the story starts at a robust pace that does not stop until the very end, leaving no time for impertinent information or irrelevant plot points. Each character, bit of dialogue and scene has an exact purpose and readers will not be disappointed with the twists and turns throughout the book nor its unpredictable ending.

Furthermore, Fleisher’s writing style captivates his readers as, along with the serious and difficult subjects he addresses, he is careful to inject bits of humor, touching details and loveable characters. His light tone helps take the edge off of such hard subjects while still ensuring that they are presented in an as truthful and open manner as possible. The entire book is precisely so moving because everything in it is traceable to events happening each day in real life, presenting readers with the good, the bad and the uncertain which define American life at present.

Final Notice expresses a lot of what is hard to consider and feel about today’s news, and as such, it is a story to not only read but with which to engage. Its themes will stay with you for a long time as you contemplate your place in the current state of affairs and face those subjects which we should not shy away from out of fear or hopelessness. This is a story to generate discussion and reflection, but above all, I feel it is a story that offers hope for a brighter American future.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Camille Turner's review? Post a comment saying so!
Kady74
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kady74 »

Thanks for this review full of details. I really want to read this Book even if the topic scares me: predict someone ´s death 30 days before, how awfull !!!!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Kady74 wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 09:37 Thanks for this review full of details. I really want to read this Book even if the topic scares me: predict someone ´s death 30 days before, how awfull !!!!
Thank you for commenting! :) Oh my gosh, I know! The book falls outside of the parameters of the books I normally read (with its subject matter of guns, political issues, advanced technology, etc.) but I was so shockingly moved by it and so glad I read it in the end!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I'm hesitant to pick this book up, just because the topics depress me so much, but if it has an overall hopeful message I'll reconsider!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

ViziVoir wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 18:17 I'm hesitant to pick this book up, just because the topics depress me so much, but if it has an overall hopeful message I'll reconsider!
I completely understand! I normally avoid books like this as well, but decided to go out on a limb and try it and was very glad I did so. I will say that many parts are quite emotionally difficult — so be ready — but despite all that happens, I was still able to get hope out of it overall, especially because of certain characters' actions. Let me know if you end up reading it and if you find hope in it as well!
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

WickedandLazy wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 17:09 It seems like a hard book to read because of the topics it contains, I mean hard not in the sense of a complex book but in the sense that is a shocking and direct book.

For this reason it seems like the kind of book people should read for it's content and the critical view of the author. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for your comment! I agree that it is a difficult book in terms of its topic. But, as you say, certainly one that people should read!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I think this is the best volunteer review I have read so far. Very descriptive without really giving anything away. These were some hard subjects but the author was very sensitive in his discussions. I really believe that Fleisher cares about people and his heart is in the best place with this novel.

The ending was awesome! I kept thinking..."what is she up to"....and Fleisher planned it out very well.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 11:34 I think this is the best volunteer review I have read so far. Very descriptive without really giving anything away. These were some hard subjects but the author was very sensitive in his discussions. I really believe that Fleisher cares about people and his heart is in the best place with this novel.

The ending was awesome! I kept thinking..."what is she up to"....and Fleisher planned it out very well.
Thank you so much for your kind words! I completely agree regarding Fleisher's sensitivity toward the subject matter and that he sincerely wanted his novel to touch people in a positive way. I was thinking the exact same thing as you were towards the end. I loved that it wasn't predictable at all and even his last few words at the end of the epilogue gave me chills!
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for this review - your enthusiasm and passion really shine through. I'm not sure that I entirely agree about the quality of the writing, but I absolutely agree about the way it depicts so many important current issues. Have you seen the thread about whether the book would make a good movie? I'd be interested to know what you think.
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

Libs_Books wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 13:06 Thanks for this review - your enthusiasm and passion really shine through. I'm not sure that I entirely agree about the quality of the writing, but I absolutely agree about the way it depicts so many important current issues. Have you seen the thread about whether the book would make a good movie? I'd be interested to know what you think.
Thank you for your comment! I can see how the writing in of itself might not read as smoothly for others as my tastes enjoyed (I believe someone had commented in a forum that they didn't like how he jumped between stories so quickly, for example). I haven't seen that thread so will be sure to check it out and leave a comment. That's a very interesting thought, turning it into a movie. Thanks for mentioning it!
wuesedaniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by wuesedaniel »

thank you so much. this is a nice work
Camille Turner

Post by Camille Turner »

wuesedaniel wrote: 29 Mar 2018, 13:15 thank you so much. this is a nice work
Thank you for your kind comment! :)
Christian horlicks
Currently Reading:

Post by Christian horlicks »

I loved every stories in this book. its talking about human behaviour, real life experience,fate,many more. histories about the old features lifestyles and technology to our new age generation.
Christian horlicks
Currently Reading:

Post by Christian horlicks »

I loved every stories in this book. its talking about human behaviour, real life experience,fate,many more. histories about the old features lifestyles and technology to our new age generation. I love the book,would want to read! :) :D

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”