Review by londonmartine -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
londonmartine
Currently Reading: American River
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londonmartine.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Review by londonmartine -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by londonmartine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

You know when you read the first few lines of a new book and immediately think, "Oh, I am going to like this"? And then you leap into it, happy in the knowledge that you're about to have some very pleasant hours? Yesterday was one of those books for me. It was an absolute pleasure to read from start to finish.

It jumps straight into the story: Our heroine, Amanda, finds herself in the right place at the right time to save the life of handsome police officer Mark. They instantly know that they are somehow connected - not to mention in love - and delve into a world of past lives and reincarnation to discover how they once knew each other, and the mystery behind Amanda's newly acquired grandfather clock which connects them. Under hypnosis, the novel unfolds into a parallel historical story set in the late 1800s, in Carolina and Chicago in the time of the Civil War. This was a really nice surprise for me - the book is down as historical fiction but this is more time-slip stuff for me, and I love it.

It's also an area of history that I don't know much about. Being British, American history is not something that we study much at school, so peeping through a window into this part of the past was very nice, and I feel that it was done well. I also felt that the language use was done pretty well, and I'd be interested to know what Americans would make of the Deep South, plantation phonetic vocabulary, and whether it is as convincing as I found it. Speaking of language use, handsome police officer Mark is the kind of Irish-American that US writers seem quite frequently to use when they are portraying someone as charming. This was the only element of the characters that I found cheesy, and again, I suspect this is a British thing.

The pace of the book kind of floats along; it never really feels very urgent or creates that what's on the next page? Quick quick quick! feeling, even in moments of crisis. But that doesn't mean it is ever boring or slow - it's just very relaxed and peaceful, and moves along so smoothly you barely notice that you've just read half the book. The writing style almost echoes the hypnotic concept of the storyline. The pace picks up towards the end as all the pieces of the story come together.

This is a love story. It is a romance. Furthermore, it is a time-slip romance, and I know plenty of people who have no patience for that kind of thing. If you are one of them, this is not for you. But I must stress that, despite being a romance, it is in no way sickly. Sentimental, sure, but not sappy. The characters are smart and not annoying, and I really believed Amanda and Mark's love for each other. Obviously, if you believe in past lives, this is a plus, but honestly, if you don't (like me), it's still a really enjoyable read and a dip into the hypothetical.

The writing and editing is very professional, and I liked the poetic use of language. It's a tiny bit over-descriptive - do people really need to "saunter to the living room"? - but there is such beautiful use of imagery in describing colour, taste and smell that you can't really argue. And speaking of describing taste, good god, these characters drink a lot. They are CONSTANTLY drinking wine or whiskey. Do you ever watch Mad Men, and start to cringe whenever they pour themselves a scotch at 9am? That was what I started to do whenever Amanda and Mark topped up each other's glasses and sipped their wine and requested another drink. I genuinely started to feel queasy for them. Ah well. Another character consistently drank tea throughout, which was more soothing.

I had a lovely time reading Yesterday. I enjoyed the concept, I enjoyed the language, and overall I really enjoyed the experience. I really do have to give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars, as I feel that anyone who likes this genre would certainly enjoy this book.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like londonmartine's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I'm not really into past lives or romance novels, so I don't think I would enjoy it. I know exactly what you mean about instantly knowing you will like a novel, though! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review. I also read and reviewed this a while back and I also liked it but thinking back this is not a book that inspires me to read it again.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I feel like I have a really specific taste in romance novels, but the fact that neither of the main characters became unlikeable is a very good sign! I'll consider giving this one a try.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I am glad you enjoyed this story. I liked it too. The language used for the southern characters was convincing. I thought it was a nice romance with a bit of mystery.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
londonmartine

Post by londonmartine »

kandscreeley wrote: 14 Mar 2018, 14:12 I'm glad you enjoyed this one. I'm not really into past lives or romance novels, so I don't think I would enjoy it. I know exactly what you mean about instantly knowing you will like a novel, though! Thanks.
Thanks for commenting! Yes I think this kind of story is not for everyone (although as one of the people who loves it I can't fathom why...!) but I do love sinking into a novel :)
londonmartine

Post by londonmartine »

Jaime Lync wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 11:28 Great review. I also read and reviewed this a while back and I also liked it but thinking back this is not a book that inspires me to read it again.
Actually I completely agree with that. I really enjoyed it and thought it was well written, but I don't think I'd need to read it again. However, if the author went down a similar route but with different time periods for a future novel, I'd probably read that.
londonmartine

Post by londonmartine »

Yolimari wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 13:23 I am glad you enjoyed this story. I liked it too. The language used for the southern characters was convincing. I thought it was a nice romance with a bit of mystery.
Yes I thought the language was done pretty well. But you know when you're reading something in your head and you're like "is this overdone?" Glad you liked it too - thanks for commenting!
londonmartine

Post by londonmartine »

ViziVoir wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 14:26 I feel like I have a really specific taste in romance novels, but the fact that neither of the main characters became unlikeable is a very good sign! I'll consider giving this one a try.
Okay well now I have to ask - what is your specific taste in romance novels?! I find that too much cheese just winds me up.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

londonmartine wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 11:26
ViziVoir wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 14:26 I feel like I have a really specific taste in romance novels, but the fact that neither of the main characters became unlikeable is a very good sign! I'll consider giving this one a try.
Okay well now I have to ask - what is your specific taste in romance novels?! I find that too much cheese just winds me up.
It's sort of hard for me to put into words! I think it really boils down to two factors for me. First, do the characters act like real people - that is, no forced conflict through simple misunderstandings, and no over-reliance on cliches? Second, are the main characters their own people, and do they have lives and important relationships outside of the main romantic pairing?

If the answer to both those questions is yes, it's pretty likely I'll enjoy the novel. These are main components of good real-life relationships, too. If the author doesn't have a good grasp on making their main characters both realistic and healthy (or at least not glorifying unhealthy behavior), I probably won't have the patience to finish the book. Unfortunately, a lot of romance authors miss the mark on both counts, so I'm a bit leery of the genre as a whole at this point.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”