Review by Vickie Noel -- Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Review by Vickie Noel -- Sigfried's Smelly Socks!

Post by Vickie Noel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is an illustrated children’s book which tells of a boy, Sigfried, who tries to uncover the origin of the stench all around him by investigating all possible sources. This leads to the discovery of several disgusting and covert practices which are potential causes of the “stink.” Written and illustrated by Len Foley, whose writing inspiration comes from the similar experiences of two members of his family, the aim of this book is to gross readers out in a humorous way and I can see how it may be appealing to some.

To be honest, I wasn’t exactly sure what to make of the book. Looking at it from the angle of a child, I’d say the author did a pretty good job of capturing the reader’s attention with full-page, realistic and lifelike illustrations. As a matter of fact, they’re a combination of hand drawings and freehand digital images. The font is also very fanciful and eye-catching, different from regular story book style. The author employed the use of rhyming words mostly at the end of one or alternating sentences. All words are arranged in such a way that they are neither lost on the pictures nor do they reduce appeal to the eyes. In addition, I particularly liked the alliteration in the title.

However, from the viewpoint of an adult, I couldn’t help but wonder, “What really is the theme of this book?” “What’s the lesson or take home for the reader?” Personally, I didn’t really find the tale genuinely funny enough to evoke a laugh-out-loud response. I felt like it attempted too hard to force such a reaction from me as a reader. Instead, I ended up with an upturned-nose/rolling-my-eyes facial expression. That may well have been the intention of the author, but it wasn’t my preference.

Then, I had this genius idea to test the book out. I read it to my lower primary class in a very dramatic manner to see what reactions it would generate. Sure enough, almost all the pages got them screaming, “eww,” “yuck,” “ugh,” and made for quite a ridiculously fun (and noisy) class. There were certain strange and tough words like “slobber,” “blubber lumps,” and “kraut” that I had to explain along the line, but all in all, it led to a very interactive session. I tried it with two other classes and got close to the same response. Interestingly, a number of them derived lessons from it as well, at least, on some things that they shouldn’t copy from Sigfried. Bearing in mind that this is a story targeted at an audience range of 3-7 years, I’d heartily say the author downright succeeded, thereby resulting in the softening of my feelings towards the book.

This twenty-six-page book had minimal errors. I noticed the wrong use of a period instead of a question mark on location 5 of 25, Kindle edition. I also think that part of the font style was inconsistent. Being of the opinion that the emboldened words signified the rhymes, I observed that some of the rhyming words were not written in bold like they should be as in the case of ‘head’ and ‘bed’. A completely unrelated word was written in all caps in its place. At a point, the author introduced color to the words. While describing the socks, the colored font for “blue socks” wasn’t blue but purple, in contrast to the other colored words which matched the varying colored socks.

My rating of the book Sigfried Smelly Socks is a 3 out of 4 stars because of these discrepancies. Although they aren’t exactly distracting, I believe that for a children’s book, nothing short of flawless is accepted. The rating may have been less if I hadn’t done that little experiment. Notwithstanding, I recommend it to parents and teachers who want their wards to take a break from serious studying or those who have a ‘gross-out’ sense of humor that matches the one presented in this book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vickie Noel's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

The fact that you tried the book out with children is very practical in your review assessment. Great review!
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

Thanks for the thorough review! Seems like the kind of book my youngest brother would appreciate.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

KitabuKitamu wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 13:01 The fact that you tried the book out with children is very practical in your review assessment. Great review!
Thanks a lot for commenting. Trying it out really helped me make up my mind on the book.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

ViziVoir wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 18:20 Thanks for the thorough review! Seems like the kind of book my youngest brother would appreciate.
Thanks for dropping by. Hope you two have fun like we did!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's an interesting and funny book. Thanks for your insightful review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 01:57 It's an interesting and funny book. Thanks for your insightful review.
Thanks a lot for the feedback, Sarah!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Thanks for sharing your experiment. That was such a great idea (as those kids are the intended audience) and I really like that you included them as part of your assessment. My only point of contention with this book was that at the end the rhyming pattern got lost. I couldn't tell if the ending was intentional, missing text, or missing a page. It just seemed like something was lacking.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

I'm glad you chose to test it out with children. I have two kids and thought this might be a good one to read to them. After reading about your experience, I may give it a try.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 11:03 Thanks for sharing your experiment. That was such a great idea (as those kids are the intended audience) and I really like that you included them as part of your assessment. My only point of contention with this book was that at the end the rhyming pattern got lost. I couldn't tell if the ending was intentional, missing text, or missing a page. It just seemed like something was lacking.
Thanks a lot for your heartwarming message and for sharing your observations! I do agree that the pattern slacked down towards the end. Let's hope the author takes note and improves on it.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

rcarr13 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 14:06 I'm glad you chose to test it out with children. I have two kids and thought this might be a good one to read to them. After reading about your experience, I may give it a try.
I'm glad to hear that. Do share your own experience when you're through with it. Thanks for reading.
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

Vickie Noel wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 13:28
rcarr13 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 14:06 I'm glad you chose to test it out with children. I have two kids and thought this might be a good one to read to them. After reading about your experience, I may give it a try.
I'm glad to hear that. Do share your own experience when you're through with it. Thanks for reading.
I read it to my kids yesterday. My 8-year-old thought it was "too babyish" but the two-year-old has asked me to read it 3 times since then. It's a good book for younger kids.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

rcarr13 wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 17:16
Vickie Noel wrote: 17 Mar 2018, 13:28
I read it to my kids yesterday. My 8-year-old thought it was "too babyish" but the two-year-old has asked me to read it 3 times since then. It's a good book for younger kids.
Wow, that's a perfect trial and result! Good job! I hope more of this occurs when we read children's books, after all, it's meant for them so they might as well "review" it. Thanks so much for the feedback.
qsusan
Favorite Book: Reaper Man
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qsusan.html
Latest Review: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial by Terry Higham

Post by qsusan »

The idea of carrying out an experiment is very interesting. Your idea is simply brilliant. It is a lesson though that a book can teach what to do by illustrating the complete opposite.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Vickie Noel »

qsusan wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 13:13 The idea of carrying out an experiment is very interesting. Your idea is simply brilliant. It is a lesson though that a book can teach what to do by illustrating the complete opposite.

I appreciate your kind words and I quite agree with you on that. Thanks for the feedback!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”