Review by Tobbs -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tobbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobbs.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by Tobbs -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Tobbs »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Drift To Shift is a motivational book with emphasis on how one can achieve their dreams regardless of several odds that may be stacked against the person.
The individual is therefore said to have been able to make' the shift from drift' if he or she is finally able to overcome at the end.

The author tries to make her points by examining and analysing the life experiences of several models who were somehow able to overcome their fears and limitations, and hence, make the leap from 'drift to shift' in their lives.

One of the stories that really touched me was that of Reid and Serita .Both of them had alot in common, Serita did not get to feel the warmth of her family in that, barely a year old she was taken from her family and put into a foster care system.
Reid himself grew up poor somewhere in Canada, his parents could not afford to send him to a decent school. Regardless of that, he did well in school, and proceeded to the university on government grants, and that was where he met with Serita. Like I said, they both had alot in common, in unfavourable and discouraging circumstances surrounding their early childhood experiences, and they both wanted to make a difference for the less privileged.

Without help or aid from the outside, they pressed on towards actualising their goal, they put in everything they had. Eventually, help started coming their way from reputable organisations and government agencies supporting their non profit organisation with funds, endorsements and recognitions.

They actualised their dream in iFoster, an organisation they set up together, to positively impact the lives of young children between the ages of 16-26, and helping them out with what they need.

The book also clears some common misconceptions people have with the notion of success, for example, people think most of the successful people in life faced no real life challenges that confronted them or still confronts them, whose mismanagement could have disrupted the achievements of their goals in life.
But, the author, having carried out proper research on her work, lists names of various successfull individual and couples who were confronted with real life challenges and still succeeded in making something meaningful out of their lives, and achieve their goals. Through hardwork and persistence.
There is neither excuse, nor obstacle that can hinder a determined person from actualising his or her life goals.
The author agrees that it's what one believes and what they are being told that can hold them down in despair or free them into success.

The author, through her book tries to help people come out of despair and take back control of their lives, by learning to effectively listen to their heart rather than the expectations of society.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars ,for the message behind the book, and also for how the author went extra miles to get real life experiences from real people and thereby give her arguments more authenticity.

This is a motivational book with a difference, and I strongly recommend it to everyone.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tobbs's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I liked your review. I also felt Serita's story was one of the strongest ones that truly fit the stated theme of the book. Some of the more extreme stories I wasn't sure about. Overall, I agree people will be influenced by this book. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your comments on this book. I agree that the stories the author investigated and included were encouraging and motivate the reader to never give up. Great job.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”