Review by kfwilson6 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by kfwilson6 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kfwilson6 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway is the first book in a trilogy of unique science fiction novels written by Alex Fayman. It is a thrilling ride that follows eighteen-year-old Alex Fine on a unique journey that uses the internet as the main mode of transportation. Orphaned at birth, Alex devotes himself to reading books and doing well in school rather than making friends and forming emotional attachments. His focus changes one day when his orphanage receives a donation of new computers. Constantly drawn to this new technology, Alex discovers he can use it in ways he never could have imagined when he accidentally finds himself traveling through the internet. The internet gives Alex access to the entire world, including all of the knowledge ever digitally documented. As Alex begins manipulating data in his pursuit to reallocate resources from the rich to the poor, it doesn’t take long for his invisibility as a notorious loner to disappear. He unintentionally manages to attract the attention of some high-power criminals who are the target of his Robin Hood-like antics.

Alex is an admirable, yet flawed character who Fayman does a superb job of developing throughout this book. Alex is crippled by common human mistakes which make him a truly relatable character despite his less than typical ability. Alex is a joy to get to know despite his flaws and the mistakes he can’t seem to help but make. He is driven by emotion, as so many teenagers are. Despite his efforts to use his ability to benefit others, sometimes he can’t help but work towards his own benefit as well. Fayman does an excellent job of compelling the reader to continue through the book to learn more about Alex as he: develops an understanding of the link between actions and consequences, discovers the source of his ability, and learns about how he ended up in the orphanage.

Fayman kept me constantly interested wondering what Alex would choose to do with the knowledge he could acquire through the internet and his ability to travel anywhere in the world with a connected computer. He literally has the world at his fingertips and travels to many places which are wonderfully described including Amsterdam, Switzerland, and St. Lucia. Alex encounters several intriguing characters on his travels who only serve to make the story even more compelling. All of Fayman’s characters are well written, even down to each of their flaws. They are all highly realistic, especially in their variations.

The story was most compelling because of its originality. I have not come across a story quite like this one despite attempts by other reviewers to compare it to Robin Hood and some superhero stories. As the story began, I was concerned that I would never learn of Alex’s family history or of the source of his ability, but Fayman has a well thought out explanation for every question I developed. This is a well-planned story that stops at the perfect point to make me feel satisfied while still itching to read the second installation.

I grant Fayman 4 out of 4 stars for this unique endeavor. I did note quite a few missing words, mostly articles, and some words that were incorrectly spelled, but this did not distract me from the story. Overall, the writing style is excellent. This is the perfect book for teenagers who enjoy a good science fiction novel and are looking for a book about a character they can easily relate to. As an adult who considers herself a fan of science fiction, I truly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone over the age of 15.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kfwilson6's review? Post a comment saying so!
rcarr13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rcarr13.html
Latest Review: Weaponized Prayer Missiles Against Infirmities. by Dr. Omolara Olaniyi

Post by rcarr13 »

You did a great job of explaining the story. I agree that it is a very unique story.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I loved your review! I also did a review on this book. It was a great read!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Mouricia25 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:13 I loved your review! I also did a review on this book. It was a great read!
Thank you both for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed my review and the book. I just started reading the sequel and I'm about a quarter of the way through and not yet impressed. Starting to wonder if Fayman should have just wrapped it up in the first novel and just made it a bit longer. Mouricia25 did you also read Superhighway 2?
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story of Alex who uses internet as a mode of transportation is interesting and unique. This time-travel science fiction novel would appeal the readers who like this genre. Thanks for your critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 08:09 I just started reading the sequel and I'm about a quarter of the way through and not yet impressed. Starting to wonder if Fayman should have just wrapped it up in the first novel and just made it a bit longer.
I just finished and reviewed it too! I thought it was a blast to read and am looking forward to checking out the sequel, but what you just said makes it sounds like it might be a bit of a grind? Is it worth checking out?
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for the review - you made the book sound really engaging, and I think some of the younger members of my family might appreciate it - I might even give it a go myself at some point. I like the idea that the main character is flawed, and that back stories are filled in later in the book, rather than everything being handed to you on a plate immediately.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Libs_Books wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 05:29 I like the idea that the main character is flawed, and that back stories are filled in later in the book, rather than everything being handed to you on a plate immediately.
I absolutely love when authors reveal information a little bit at a time. I don't like when they give you an entire back story all in one go. It can sound very boring and drawn out. It sparks my interest when I learn a new little tid bit about a character or a mystery to be solved and wonder what that revelation will lead to. Dan Brown is an excellent example of authors who do this well. I recently read Origin and I realized that for a large portion of the book the two main characters are running from place to place but I was never bored. I never got bored because with every chapter there was always something new revealed that renewed my interest in the mystery.
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

Zilelabelle wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 12:11
kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 08:09 I just started reading the sequel and I'm about a quarter of the way through and not yet impressed. Starting to wonder if Fayman should have just wrapped it up in the first novel and just made it a bit longer.
I just finished and reviewed it too! I thought it was a blast to read and am looking forward to checking out the sequel, but what you just said makes it sounds like it might be a bit of a grind? Is it worth checking out?
Z-I just finished the second book. I don't know what happened after book one. The sequel was so disappointing. Alex's relationships with women get even more annoying. There is a continuous stream of "poor me" content and as he ages he never seems to learn and ALWAYS makes the wrong choice. This was not at all like the first book. I recommend just stopping with book one. There is no satisfying answer to any questions that you might have lingering after book one.
Zilelabelle
Currently Reading: Dragonfriend
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zilelabelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by Zilelabelle »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:23
Zilelabelle wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 12:11
Z-I just finished the second book. I don't know what happened after book one. The sequel was so disappointing. Alex's relationships with women get even more annoying. There is a continuous stream of "poor me" content and as he ages he never seems to learn and ALWAYS makes the wrong choice. This was not at all like the first book. I recommend just stopping with book one. There is no satisfying answer to any questions that you might have lingering after book one.
I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the heads up on that.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

kfwilson6 wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 08:09
Mouricia25 wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 08:13 I loved your review! I also did a review on this book. It was a great read!
Thank you both for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed my review and the book. I just started reading the sequel and I'm about a quarter of the way through and not yet impressed. Starting to wonder if Fayman should have just wrapped it up in the first novel and just made it a bit longer. Mouricia25 did you also read Superhighway 2?
I thought the same thing.. I couldn't even pass chapter 1.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I enjoyed reading your review and Alex having access to all digitally transmitted information sounds so much like 'The Intersect in the movie "Chuck." I really enjoyed watching that so I'd like to check this out sometime but from all earlier comments, I'll stay away from Book 2!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
KLafser
Currently Reading: Nine Perfect Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 574
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klafser.html
Latest Review: The Road From Money by Sylvester Boyd Jr.

Post by KLafser »

kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:23 I just finished the second book. I don't know what happened after book one. The sequel was so disappointing. Alex's relationships with women get even more annoying. There is a continuous stream of "poor me" content and as he ages he never seems to learn and ALWAYS makes the wrong choice. This was not at all like the first book. I recommend just stopping with book one. There is no satisfying answer to any questions that you might have lingering after book one.
I keep running into you in the forums and because I appreciate your thoughtful comments, decided to come check out your reviews. I am so glad I did and that I caught this response. How disappointing! Like you, I thoroughly enjoyed the first book and had great intentions of reading the next. I may still start it but it's way further down on my list at this point. Thanks for this *added bonus* mini review!
kfwilson6

Post by kfwilson6 »

KLafser wrote: 19 Mar 2018, 10:17
kfwilson6 wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 10:23 I just finished the second book. I don't know what happened after book one. The sequel was so disappointing. Alex's relationships with women get even more annoying. There is a continuous stream of "poor me" content and as he ages he never seems to learn and ALWAYS makes the wrong choice. This was not at all like the first book. I recommend just stopping with book one. There is no satisfying answer to any questions that you might have lingering after book one.
I keep running into you in the forums and because I appreciate your thoughtful comments, decided to come check out your reviews. I am so glad I did and that I caught this response. How disappointing! Like you, I thoroughly enjoyed the first book and had great intentions of reading the next. I may still start it but it's way further down on my list at this point. Thanks for this *added bonus* mini review!
Thank you so much. I'm glad you stopped by :) I really appreciate the kind words.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I just started reading the sequel and I'm about a quarter of the way through and not yet impressed. Starting to wonder if Fayman should have just wrapped it up in the first novel and just made it a bit longer.
Oh, no! I'm disappointed to hear this as I was so interested to see what would develop next in the plot. I guess I won't rush to get ahold of it. You did a great job on your review! Thanks for sharing!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”