Review by jennyd2003 -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Review by jennyd2003 -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by jennyd2003 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a really good read. it doesn't matter if you support gun control or not. It captivates and relates to many events that are actually happening now.

The story starts with a question
What would you do if you knew-for certain-that you had one week to live?
It made me really think about what I would do. Would I spend more time with loved ones, get things ready for being gone, or seek revenge? For me personally, the answer is spending time with my family and get them prepared for me not being there for them.

We meet several people who receive a VT2 watch that monitors their health in addition to telling time and other things a smartwatch does. This watch can actually predict your death. How the people react varies and causes worries among the developers and law enforcement. We also meet Vince and Trudi Fuller. An elderly couple who face some challenges and discover what they would do if faced with death. We also meet the developers of the VT2 and see the way that they intended the watch to be used. We follow how they deal with the obstacles that arise surrounding the notice that it issues and how they try to better understand what caused the people to make the decisions that they did.

Upon meeting Vince and Trudi, I sympathize with them. They face loss of identity and get mistreated because of age. It is wrong for them to be treated this way and makes me think about how would I react. I know I wouldn't go buy a gun and shoot someone, but would I try to set up something against someone who wronged me or just let bygones be bygones? They face friends getting accused of thing because of their race. How would I react in those situations? It made me really ponder how I react to things happening around me. If I had a gun would I be bolder?

The story starts out a little slow for my taste but then I couldn't put this book down. I wanted to know what happened. I felt like these were my friends and I wanted to help them. I could feel their pain and wanted to cry with them. When a Final Notice was delivered I wanted to know how the person would react. I just had to keep reading. There are school shootings discussed and I believe that today that is something that we all need to think about. We need to help decide what we can do to prevent it.

I also felt that this book brings about the gun-ownership debate. I like this as it is a hot topic today. Who should have one, what should be the checks and balances on ownership, should the government be allowed to say who can own a gun or not? I feel that we should thoroughly vet anyone who wants a gun. I also feel that if you own a gun you should be properly trained on its handling and keep them locked up. Children shouldn't be able to get their hands on guns.Too much has happened to allow it to continue. I didn't like the fact that the killers died innocent. They murdered someone. They may have died, but they should still have been guilty of the crimes they committed. The families left behind still had to deal with all the after things that happen with death even if the individual did not.

I give this book a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't notice any errors and it was very well written. The characters were well developed and like-able for the most part. I would recommend this book to everyone. It is a very engaging read.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jennyd2003's review? Post a comment saying so!
Glady-s
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Glady-s »

Interesting it makes
you want to read more and more
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I also read (and reviewed) this book. It certainly is timely, and touches on many issues that deserve careful consideration.

Thank you for a good review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”