Review by Misael -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review by Misael -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tips, Myths, and Rips: A Physician's Advice
Morton E. Tavel
Published 2015
465 pages
Non-fiction

To realize that allergies are not psychosomatic was a huge sigh of relief!

Just when I thought I knew a lot about medical stuff, this book came along and proved me wrong!

This book by Doctor Tavel lists down very valuable information about so many things that affect our everyday life, especially our health. Every myth the world has regarding the different supplements every different individual takes for his maintenance, either as a supplement or a cure for illness, is presented and explained, paving the way towards better understanding and better health.

After reading this book, I became less hesitant of altogether halting my regular intake of supplemental vitamins, and more confident of the way I was taking better care of my health even without consuming these supplements on a regular basis. Moreover, this will save me money in doing so. It also provided a sense of security of knowing information came from an authority in the medical field.

This book enlightened me about vitamins, supplements and a whole bunch of health matters. So many myths, so many misinformation were practically thought of as true and served as guide in life. It left me to think of what could have been: so many lives would have been saved, only if we had the correct data.

I personally liked chapter 21 where the focus was on the different supplements: the myths and the truths. I would gasp every now and then as I traversed in every page for every enlightenment this book gave me. I am sure I became a much better person, now enriched with valuable information. Also, this book, as far as I am concerned, was the only book which identified the major culprit for acid reflux of which I suffer from. What was it? Well, it's for you to find out. Hahaha.

What I did not like about the book was the author giving example of specific brand of foods to avoid and to patronize. I would rather have the author give examples of foods to avoid and eat in generic terms. It felt, to me at least, like he was promoting some specific brands. Also, I got overwhelmed and was almost got drowned by the list of calories a food contained. I would prefer to refer to a table showing the required or recommended calories, protein or carbohydrates a person should consume per day, for example. This would be better. And then, there was at times some confusion when the book informed me the power of potassium, canned or fresh; then warned me of the huge amount of salt in canned goods. Also, the discussion about alkaline water was a bit abrupt: it did not say the importance of a body maintaining a pH balance for those who suffer acid reflux.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not give a 4 because this book was not as comprehensive as I thought on areas that are important to me and affect my current health issues; in terms of covering not only the benefit of a certain mineral or vitamin but on the side effects or lack of it as well. For instance, the danger of excessive intake of dietary supplements containing potassium was mentioned but the specific danger it brings was not really laid down. It left me hanging somehow. At some points while reading the myths, the book cautioned against exceeding doses of some minerals or vitamins sans explaining the result of such excessive intake. If I may suggest, the book could have disregarded those aspects already present in other books and focused on new findings or studies.

I was not expecting the topic about polygraph test, and the inclusion of which came as a surprise. Probably because it being a science that was why it was included, but in my opinion, this was not necessary and would not in any way affect the totality of the book. In short it would not be missed because it was unnecessary. I got bored reading this part, If I may say so.

I did not give it a 2 because for all it lacked in some areas, the book was truly informative, and a lot of people will benefit from reading this book. Who will like it? Those who are health conscious. But it will not be fully appreciated by the young ones for all the book's caution about junk foods!

I will not be fooled by sea salt and brown rice anymore! Men, you must read this book and you would be wary of Vitamin E!

Exploding with big reveals!

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Misael's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I appreciated your review. Very thorough. I agree that there were some gaps in the information that was imparted. I also felt some of the sources were outdated. But overall, a good book for those who are health conscious. And I agree that the inclusion of some tables or charts would have been useful. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Very nice review. It's nice when a book gives so much helpful information that you can use in your personal health regime. Looks like you benefited a great deal from this book. Great job.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Thank you for the comment guys! I benefited greatly from this book especially now that I am really taking care of my health for several years now.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”