Review by The BookWorm Nagham -- Heartaches 2

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by The BookWorm Nagham -- Heartaches 2

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 2" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Heartaches 2 written by I.M. Irwing is the second book of the Heartaches: Bad Boy Vibes series. True to its genre, this romance novel follows the relationship between Anna and Rafe two rape survivors in their journey to happiness and peace. Alas, their past still follows and haunts them. As they encounter harsh truths and fight to get justice, all odds seem to be against them. And it makes us wonder, will they ever be able to obtain their happily ever after? Can love really conquer it all?

This book is made for romance fans and people who believe that love is strong enough. Anna and Rafe are madly in love with each other to the point where they’re dysfunctional when apart. At first it seems like your typical love story, girl meets boy, girl and boy have similar background, girl and boy work past their issues, girl has a gay best friend, guy is jealous of gay best friend. But that’s where the similarity stops. The story takes place in a military college, where arguments are settled in a fighting ring, and the bad guys are still very much present.

The book starts with a disturbing dream haunting Rafe, his nightmare is the result of the fight happening between him and his rapist Eric the next day. Despite her boyfriend’s win, Anna feels pressured and drops the charges against her rapist. Meanwhile Anna’s best friend Pat is struggling with coming out to his parents.

What I really liked about this book is the addictive story and the continuous plot twists, I never knew what to expect. I read the book in one sitting and at no point in time I felt the need to take a break. The story wasn’t boring, it kept me entertained and served as an inspiration to my daydreams. Truthfully, Rafe and Anna’s love is a miracle, two damaged souls found their match, their love for one another is touching and motivating.

However, I did find some ridiculous moments, where the characters’ actions aren’t realistic at all. For example, Pat refuses to tell his parents about his preferences, so Anna challenges him to a fight which she wins eventually. Since Pat lost, he has to confess to his parents, although he doesn’t want to, he goes with Anna and Rafe immediately. I felt like he immediately agreed without putting up a fight, he could have at least complained. Additionally, Rafe goes swimming naked while sleeping in the same house with his rapist, and then he proceeds to make love with Anna on the open roof, I find that it’s very contradictory. I’m not saying that they should hide, but I also feel that survivors wouldn’t be taking these kinds of risks when they’re in a close proximity of a group of known rapists.

Toward the last chapters I.M. Irwing introduced a new character Susanne Smith, and from there the story was so fast paced that I couldn’t grasp all the twists the plot endured. The book ended with a cliffhanger that immediately made me want to read the sequel. And I.M. Irwing seems to be aware of that.

The book wasn’t professionally edited, I found a few mistakes, plus the pages weren’t numbered, although it didn’t distract me from the story, it could have been great if I knew how much I still have to read. Moreover, the narrator changes throughout the story in an aleatory rhythm, I was often confused and had to reread a few sentences in order to understand whose point of view is being shown.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, I was lost between 2 or 3 stars but then settled on 3. I feel like this book has a lot of potential and I hope the sequel is written in a more down to earth manner. It’s not my favorite romance novel but I definitely want to read the sequel.

Heartaches 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like The BookWorm Nagham's review? Post a comment saying so!
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! I didn't read the book in one sitting but I definitely could not put the book down in the final chapters. However, those chapters went too quickly and the new twists were too much to take in. I also found some ridiculous parts in the book. I was somewhat annoyed by the "fights". I know it's a military school but how does fighting help to resolve arguments? What did they really solve? I don't think that aspect did anything for the story. I think the book could have done without it. I really enjoyed your review! I might try the 3rd book... after you lol
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

KFree_Reads wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 07:07 Nice review! I didn't read the book in one sitting but I definitely could not put the book down in the final chapters. However, those chapters went too quickly and the new twists were too much to take in. I also found some ridiculous parts in the book. I was somewhat annoyed by the "fights". I know it's a military school but how does fighting help to resolve arguments? What did they really solve? I don't think that aspect did anything for the story. I think the book could have done without it. I really enjoyed your review! I might try the 3rd book... after you lol
The fights certainly were a down side. They never really resolved anything, the first fight with Eric? Rafe won, but life continued as it was, Eric was still at the base. Thank you for replying, and I just finished the third book, you should definitely try it, the writing and the story both improved and evolved.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 14:26
KFree_Reads wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 07:07 Nice review! I didn't read the book in one sitting but I definitely could not put the book down in the final chapters. However, those chapters went too quickly and the new twists were too much to take in. I also found some ridiculous parts in the book. I was somewhat annoyed by the "fights". I know it's a military school but how does fighting help to resolve arguments? What did they really solve? I don't think that aspect did anything for the story. I think the book could have done without it. I really enjoyed your review! I might try the 3rd book... after you lol
The fights certainly were a down side. They never really resolved anything, the first fight with Eric? Rafe won, but life continued as it was, Eric was still at the base. Thank you for replying, and I just finished the third book, you should definitely try it, the writing and the story both improved and evolved.
You're welcome! Did book 3 really get better? Wow! I'll definitely check it out. Thanks for letting me know.It's good to know I wasn't the only one who thought the fights were unnecessary. That fight between Eric and Rafe was pointless. Wish me luck on book 3 lol!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”