Review by EricaWilson -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by EricaWilson -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by EricaWilson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks is a picture book that highlights just how messy kids can be. Sigfried is a young boy who explores all of the different smells in his house. None of them are very pleasant. The rhymes are wacky, and there's even a couple of words in the book that will stimulate a higher level of learning for kids, but in no way interrupt the flow of the story.

I especially like how the book starts off with Sigfried describing all of the ways his book has gotten dirty. This made me think of how the best books are the most worn down, implying that the book being described is one of Sigfried's favorites. Each little kid usually has one or two books that they want to hear over and over again, just like Sigfried's book that has been destroyed over time.

From dog pee to dirty diapers, kids are sure to be laughing when they have this book read to them. Sigmund's room is so messy that even a fly is left wondering what it is that smells so bad. Parents will be able to relate to all of the excessive messes that kids make, and the horrid smells that go along with them. A common frustration for parents is when kids shove dirty clothes under their bed, so they will certainly be able to relate to Sigfried as he describes all of the nasty socks lingering under there. Kids with younger siblings will also laugh at how messy and smelly Sigmund's are, and think of their own siblings .The phrase "soap and water" is repeated near the end of the book to encourage kids to clean up after themselves. However, the ending goes right back into another example of Sigfried being silly that is guaranteed to make the young ones giggle.

The illustrations in this book are bright and colorful. The crazy socks are each unique and fun. They will definitely catch the eye of young children, and perhaps make them want some crazy socks of their own. I was especially impressed with the pictures of food. The banana, potato, and pizza look so real that I did a double-take, and so detailed that I could almost smell them myself.

I would rate Sigfried's Smelly Socks 4 out of 4 stars. I didn't find any errors among its pages, and definitely think that young kids would enjoy this zany book!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EricaWilson's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Sounds like a funny book! Thanks for the review. I recently wrote a children's book review if you want to take a look :)
readandsmile
Currently Reading: Boom! A Revolting Situation
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readandsmile.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by readandsmile »

Great, I enjoyed reading your funny review. nice one!
Reading is an antidote for...
Anger
Burdens
Discouragement
Fears
Hopelessness
Loneliness
Sadness
Tiredness
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Thanks For the review.
Even adults will enjoy such humour in this book.
Books are lovely.
Mildred Tabitha
Currently Reading: The Good Fight
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mildred-tabitha.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Mildred Tabitha »

This is a nice review. I am currently reading the book and I agree with every little detail you pointed out. The book is full of humour and every little kid will enjoy it. :D
Do good to others on your way up because you will meet them on your way down.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”