Review by sepicatt -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
sepicatt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sepicatt.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by sepicatt -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by sepicatt » 07 Mar 2018, 08:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!, written and illustrated by Len Foley, is a picture book for young readers, ages three to seven-years-old. The story is about a young boy who is trying to find out why his book smells so much. I would recommend this book for children who are at least five-years-old. Parents and children who enjoy toilet humor and overall silliness will enjoy this book. However, those who do not enjoy toilet humor avoid this book.

The book is about a young boy, Sigfried, who explores various stains in his book to figure out why the book smells so bad. The mystery aspect of the book will pull young readers in as they try to help Sigfried get to the bottom of the smells. The author touches on all aspects of gross smells and their causes. This includes dog pee, dirty diapers, rotten foods, and messy relatives. These are topics adults can appreciate.

I love the illustrations and graphics in the book. The pastel colors contrast well to make the book appealing. The mix of images and illustrations grabs the reader’s attention. The use of examples children can relate to, like pizza, makes the book engaging. Some examples are geared more toward the adult reader and are not ideal for children.

I didn’t care for the rhyming in the book. It’s basic and screams new writer. For example, the author uses hose and nose. This is what every class rhyming class advises against. The meter is off on a couple of pages. Also, the author uses words that are not appropriate for the intended age. Examples of this are ‘lard’ and ‘kraut’.

The book started off entertaining and I was excited to continue to read it. However, it quickly degenerates into topics I would not want to share with my child. There is no reason to use an example of an infant wiping her butt on a page. I didn’t care for a dog peeing on the book. Most parents would not allow a child to continue having a book that has been soiled. It’s unsanitary. Also, the book gives children the idea to put socks in the toilet. Children putting items in the toilet is already a problem parents struggle with. There is no reason the book should add to the problem. These are some of the reasons I rated the book with fewer stars.

I rate it 2 out of 4 stars.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sepicatt's review? Post a comment saying so!

AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 830
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson » 17 Mar 2018, 21:17

Thank you for your review! It's good to know the different topics this book covers. I also reviewed a kids book recently if you want to check it out. Feel free to leave me a comment. I would appreciate it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”