Review by HouseOfAtticus -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by HouseOfAtticus -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is essentially a book that chronicles the story of the eponymous “hero”, Hiram McDowell. He is a famous surgeon and basically a person without any character. He finds himself stuck in a bad marriage, and perhaps his infidelity is the reason for that. And on top of that, the fact that he is an absentee father makes his character more despicable.

The most intriguing thing about this book is the “antihero” element in it. McDowell might be the protagonist of the novel, but in no way is he the “hero”. The protagonist is by no means a loveable character. He has his own set of flaws and there is nothing idealistic about him. In fact, the one thing I loved the most about this book is the realistic element that the author brings with him. The character development has been strong and realistic and the author seems to have done his research.

The author has effectively created flawed characters who are hard to love but are nonetheless memorable. The author has built a realistic narrative that is strengthened through the characterisation of the book. As someone who loves realist novels, I certainly found this book wonderful. I love the way the characters have shades of grey, and none of the characters is too idealistic.

The author has also explored heavy themes in this novel, delineating ideas like revenge and betrayal and writing about them in an irresistible manner, and this brings me to the writing style of the author. The author does not over embellish his language but uses colloquial language to convey his message. There is a subtle eloquence in his writing style. I loved the dexterity and clarity with which he has delineated the plot of the story.

This book intricately explores complex relationships and that makes the plot of this book intriguing. Each character has his own baggage, and this heavily affects the narrative overall.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I feel that the plot of the book was wonderful, as was the character development that follows a complex arc in the book. I loved the psychological connotations of the story, as well as the effect the story has on the reader. I feel that while this book is primarily for adults, it can also be enjoyed by young adults. Anyone would find himself engrossed in this book, and hence I would recommend all avid readers to give this book a chance.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like HouseOfAtticus's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

HouseofAtticus, I have read your review of the book McDowell by William H.Coles. You have introduced us with a new term of antihero by your review. Actually you have said correctly about McDowell because he is not a hero in real. You have given a good review.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I like how you referred to each character as having their own 'baggage'. It makes the book seem more realistic, and more interesting to read. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Tiffy2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tiffy2 »

I like when he said the author of this book also explored heavey themes in this novel like revenge and betrayal and writing about them is an irresistible manner.
Nicky Rita
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicky-rita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nicky Rita »

The novel is a testament to the power of storytelling, with Coles demonstrating his mastery of the craft.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”