Review by lesler -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by lesler -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by lesler »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles chronicles the life of Darwin, a sixteen-year-old from Pittsburgh who is sent to live with his pro-quarterback Cousin, Luther. The book travels through about ten years' time, from Alex starting high school in a new place, to finishing up his residency at a hospital. Along the way, the book documents the stories of Darwin's acquaintances, from his Grandmother, Doctor that he sat next to on the plane from Pittsburgh, and the chief of security at Luther's estate. There characters in the book experience a lot of conflict, which makes for an interesting read.

In the beginning, we find out Darwin's parents were killed five years previously in a car accident, leaving Darwin a considerable amount of money to live. Without giving too much detail, Darwin's cousin Luther makes it a struggle for Darwin to receive this money, so he has to find different ways to procure money to take the path to become a doctor. The initial storyline focuses on the conflict between Darwin and Luther but moves rapidly to various topics throughout the book.

I enjoyed this book, but it left me wanting more. I felt the author tried to develop too many characters and did not provide many resolutions to the conflicts presented. Whether or not this is intentional and left to the reader to make conclusions, I am unsure, but I did not care for this writing method. The pacing was very strange, with the author dividing the book into multiple uneven sections. The beginning section was over half the book, with the remaining four sections divided into the second half, which I did not like regarding the detailing of the story.

There was some suspense in the book, with some interesting storylines. For instance, the head of security works on a murder case, involving the main housekeeper of Luther's estate. The murdered person involves multiple characters of the book only previously connected to Darwin, including his girlfriend Helen, Luther, and Lazlo, the chief of security.

I think what I disliked the most about this book was how boring the main character was. Darwin definitely showed courage and fortitude in his struggle to become a doctor, but there were no imperfections with him, to humanize him. He worked hard, did his best, and got what he deserved. There was no internal conflict of Darwin that would have helped me connect with him. The novel itself was well written and would be a good afternoon read for the average reader. I give this book 2 out of 4 stars, for its' lack of character development, irregular pacing, and unexciting word choice.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
Astrocelot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrocelot.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Astrocelot »

Awesome review, lesler! When I read this book, the pacing really was what got to me. Coles was just trying to cram so much into one book. The murder mystery was by far the most interesting storyline, and I think the novel would've done a lot better if he made the entire thing about just that. Darwin arrives at his cousin's estate, and when there's a murder of a frequent visitor, the aggression he sees in Luther becomes a lot more suspicious... practically writes itself!
lesler
Currently Reading:

Post by lesler »

Thank you Astrocelot! I completely agree, I think the murder with Luther under suspicion was the best part of the book, and could have been expanded upon.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. Your description of Darwin as boring really got me. He just seemed too unreal for all he had been through. I agree that he was hard to identify with.
lesler
Currently Reading:

Post by lesler »

Thank you!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Nice, Yes! But certainly more than enough spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”