Review by Abayomi2060 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Abayomi2060 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As the title suggests, Twisted Threads is in fact, twisted till the very end. It is a classic thriller composed of 369 standard pages written by Kaylin McFarren. I was thinking of dropping the book when I started reading it but after flipping a few pages I got interested. Although it is the fourth book in the Threads series, it truly stands alone.

Akira Hamada is a very beautiful Japanese geisha forced to become an assassin after a failed murder attempt on Kaito Mitsui, her boss. He assigns her a last mission, which upon successful completion, she would be granted her freedom. The mission takes her on a cruise ship to the Caribbean. She meets Paul Lyons, Devon Lyons (Paul’s nephew), Sara Lyons (Paul’s wife) and a host of other characters. Akira has ten days to identify and kill her target or face her own death.

The first few chapters of the book were about Akira’s past and how she got her last mission. Subsequently, her arrival on board the cruise ship was discussed. Apart from being an action/adventure novel, Twisted Threads is also erotic (with a few BDSM scenes). After reading the prologue and the opening poem (titled the death ship), I was prepared for ghastly murders and horrific scenes. It did not turn out as horrific as I expected, nevertheless, it was enjoyable. The book is written in third person with Akira as the main character.The pace starts slow and increased later on but I never experienced that edge-of-the-seat suspense until the last few chapters.

Twisted Threads was professionally edited as I couldn’t spot any error which made reading very smooth. With events arranged chronologically, the flow was maintained. The author deftly carves her characters and events in such a way that you can sit back and imagine the events vividly. I found it hard to keep up with the Japanese names. Sometimes I had to go back to where the name was first mentioned. What I like most about this book is the author’s writing style and her way of introducing twists as the book progressed. This is the first book I have read by Kaylin McFarren, also my first in the Threads series and I enjoyed it!

Although I was frustrated by the page layout of the book (two pages printed on each sheet), I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The book entails a mixture of romance, action, and mystery and I recommend it to those who love books of all genres.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Abayomi2060's review? Post a comment saying so!
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

From your review alone, I think it will be worth it reading Twisted Threads.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
desyree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by desyree »

GPM wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 05:05 From your review alone, I think it will be worth it reading Twisted Threads.
I have the same thought.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”