Review by bijyu -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bijyu
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bijyu.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by bijyu -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by bijyu »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R. F. Kristi follows the adventures of an exceptional cat named Inca on her road to become a “detective par excellence”. The book will capture your kid’s attention right away thanks to the colorful cover. The illustrations by Jorge Valle are cute and simple and they will help the kids imagine the characters. The book’s format makes the reading experience more enjoyable and the plot itself is interesting enough for the adults to become immersed as well.

The tale is told in form of dairy entries as Inca decided to run a diary, like every famous detective should. She begins with describing her family. We have Fromage, a tabby cat who is a bit clumsy and loves cheese, Cara, a pretty Siamese kitty who loves grooming and Charlotte, a small, clever hamster. There’s also Mom, a “humanoid” as the animals refer to her. According to Inca, the animals let Mom get away with thinking she owns them, when in fact it’s the other way around. I found that bit amusing because it rings true, especially when it comes to cats; they really do own their humans.

The book’s plot centers around the case of Mr. Finchley’s missing will. While Terrace, Inca’s doggy friend who is a detective famous among the animal community, goes away on a rescue mission with his owner Solo, Inca tries her best to prove that she can be a great detective as well. Her determination to achieve her goal is admirable and can be a source of inspiration for children. The partnership Inca forms with Boss, a dog which she was initially scared of, is another valuable lesson. Inca learns not to judge the book by its cover as they eventually become friends.

Aside from the mystery, the book is filled with humor and jolly Christmas mood as the events take place in the days leading up to Christmas. The conclusion of the book is heartwarming and it emphasizes the value of friendship and family. I liked that while the book does hold moral lessons for children, they are skillfully woven into the plot, which is firmly kept in the forefront.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. While this is a book aimed for kids, as an adult I really enjoyed it. The humor can appeal to adults as well and the plot was interesting enough for me to read the book in one go. All the characters, both animals and “humanoids”, have distinct personalities and are memorable and likeable. I would recommend the book to all animal lovers. Personally, I can’t wait to read the other books in the Inca series!

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bijyu's review? Post a comment saying so!
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

My kids and I enjoyed this book too. It’s a fun and suspenseful fable. I appreciate the themes and lessons of determination and the importance of friendship. Great review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”