Review by sarah92480 -- The Touch by Robert Flynn III

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Review by sarah92480 -- The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by sarah92480 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Touch" by Robert Flynn III.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Touch by Robert Flynn III is a supernatural fiction novel about an orphan boy named Gabriel who outwardly appears to be autistic but in reality is hearing a voice that no one else can hear. The voice has been with him as long as he can remember, and it gives him a supernatural ability that he can transfer to other people by touching them. He makes friends with another orphan boy, Josh, and they begin an interesting and adventurous life together. Along the way they discover others with the same abilities as well as the origin of the mysterious and powerful voice and its intentions for the world.

Gabriel has mixed feelings about the voice he has always heard; he’s not sure if he should trust it or not, but still feels like he needs to listen to it. When he finally meets others from around the world who are experiencing the same voice, he decides to listen more to what it has to say.

What I liked about this book was its spin on having young children as the “heroes” of the story.

There were a few things I disliked about this book. There were the numerous grammatical and punctuation errors throughout the entire length, especially a gross overuse of commas (often misplaced or unnecessary). I only noticed a couple spelling errors, but there were a few instances where the particular word used was incorrect. For example, “He was a man with no conscious” – the word should be “conscience”. Another dislike was that the story did not flow well at all. Both the story line and introduction to new characters were very disorganized, and at times no attention was paid to the fact that characters are on different sides of the Earth. I felt like there were a lot of unnecessary plot branches that went nowhere and didn’t help the book in any way other than to add length. The ending also did not feel like an ending; while I realize this book is meant to be volume one of a series, I feel that it should still be wrapped up in a way that the reader can feel some finality at the end. I was left with a very “I have no idea what I just read” kind of feeling as I finished this book.

Overall, I would rate this book with 1 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a higher rating because I felt like I was reading a first draft. I found that it was either poorly edited (or not at all), and the story itself was very choppy and chaotic; it was very hard to figure out what the point of the tale was even as I reached the very abrupt ending. I believe it needs more editing and proofreading work for it to be considered a completed novel.

The Touch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarah92480's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It's unfortunate that the book didn't match up to your expectations. Badly edited books are always a major chore to read. Thank you for a wonderful review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”