Review by Libs_Books -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Review by Libs_Books -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat

Post by Libs_Books »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am sure that some children, particularly animal lovers, will adore The Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R. F. Kristi. The narrator – Inca, a Siberian “kitty” - is a very engaging character, and her family and friends make up a good mix: male and female; feline, canine and human, and even rodent (Charlotte, the hamster). My favourite, though, is Inca's brother, Fromage, the cheese-eating tabby. In the run-up to Christmas, the gang set out to resolve a mystery and help a neighbour by finding a will that has apparently disappeared.

The main plot line takes quite a while to emerge – we're on page 58 before we get to the nub of the problem – but that's because the story is framed by a sub-plot about a missing neighbour. Conveniently, this gets the more expert detectives out of the way so that Inca and her gang can get to work. There is also a sub-sub-plot about the rather creepy person supposedly taking care of their friend Monk, a Blue Russian cat, while his owner is away.

Youngsters in the 6-8(ish) age bracket will probably enjoy hearing the story read to them, and may in any case need an adult on hand to help them keep track of the many characters. Slightly older and more confident readers will probably manage by themselves; the vocabulary can be challenging at times and some sentences are quite complex, but I like the fact that Kristi does not patronise her readers.

I have some reservations about the portrayal of the main villain – dubbed 'Stinky Porkster' by Inca. It's not so much that he's fat, which is quite common in children's book villains, but at one point he is described as “a mad demon” with “demonic eyes”. 'Well', you might say, 'what other kind of eyes would a demon have?' I know many children will happily consume whole books featuring demons (and daemons), but I think this book is aimed more at their younger brothers and sisters, and this kind of language seems out of place here. Having said that, with an adult reading it aloud, I doubt there would a problem.

One potential issue with coming to this book (which is number 5 in the Inca book series) as a new reader, is that there are a lot of characters to deal with: over 20, taking humans and animals together. No doubt, devoted followers of Inca will want to know what's going on with friends they've met in previous books - but, when you add in the complex plot, that's quite a lot to deal with. Although you could look at it another way and say that Kristi's certainly giving you your money's worth.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It's an amusing and enjoyable detective story romp with charming illustrations (by Jorje Valle) but doesn't quite make it into the top rank, partly because of the rather rambling plot. What I liked most about it is that different characters learn to work together and everyone's contribution is recognised.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Libs_Books's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a great review. You are a good writer. I haven't yet read the book, but am interested in meeting Inca and the others. You have written a balanced, comprehensive review. Thank you.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I have read so many reviews on this book, but this is probably the most detailed, and I have the best idea of what the book is about from it. This book was book of the day awhile ago, so I have it in my library, but just haven’t gotten to it yet, but each review reminds that it seems like a cute book I would enjoy.

Also, there seems to be a bit of a consensus that Fromage is a favorite character:) thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that this book will be attractive to cat lovers. Children will enjoy being able to read it on their own. Nice review.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This is an interesting review. The subject, cats, are fascinating themselves. This novel could lend to a very delightful animated presentation. How many films were made out of animal characters? It is quite something here that cats are the main characters and not the villains as in many animations I have seen. Thank you for your review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks to all four of you for dropping by and taking the trouble to post encouraging comments - much appreciated. :)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It seems to be a very versatile book, accompanied by animals, demons and human beings. Children would like this charming detective story. Thanks for this nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

My kids and I enjoyed this book. Great review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a very nice review. You've given a great deal of useful information for any who are looking to possibly purchase this book. It sounds like a cute read.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks Sarah, Jess and Kandscreeley for your encouragement.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

You did an excellent job explaining the plot, sub-plot, and sub-sub-plot. Very good analysis of the appropriate target audience for this group. I had to turn back to the beginning to review Inca's list of family members and re-read all the way through the introductions again once everyone finally came on to the scene. I could not keep track of them all. Maybe Kristi introduces them in batches in books 1-4 so it may not be as confusing for those who have followed the entire series.

I was not a huge fan of the Porkster comments. Although I found them funny, I am not an impressionable young child and know that referring to people by ugly names because of their size is inappropriate. I hope no one takes that as acceptable behavior after reading the book.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

kfwilson6 wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 15:39 I was not a huge fan of the Porkster comments. Although I found them funny, I am not an impressionable young child and know that referring to people by ugly names because of their size is inappropriate. I hope no one takes that as acceptable behavior after reading the book.
Thanks for your kind comments - and, yes, I agree with that last bit. One of the reasons why I like the idea of parents reading, even to slightly older children, is so that they can discuss things like that.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Nice review. I didn't understand until now that this was book five of an existing series. I can't stand jumping into the middle of a series, mostly because of the deluge of characters issue that you noted.
Libs_Books

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for the comment, CommMayo - yes, I think that's something that more experienced authors manage skilfully, often by keeping the list of characters that recur limited to maybe one or two strong central character(s) and a few minor roles. Thinking of Sherlock Holmes and Miss Marple, for example.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I agree with your note on demons and demonic eyes. That kinda languish is a little too out there for the younger readers/listeners, in my opinion.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”