Review by Sincerely -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sincerely
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sincerely.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Sincerely -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Sincerely »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks written and illustrated by Len Foley, is a picture book aimed at children between the ages of 3-9. The story is about a young boy, who is trying to figure out why his book has a stinky smell.

The story is about a young boy, Sigfried, who is trying to figure out the cause of the stinky smell, coming from the pages of his book. He guesses on what could be the cause of the smell. He suggests it could be an old chewing gum that got stuck on his book or his small sister's dirty diaper or from a rotten banana. He comes to a realisation, that nothing could be compared, to the stinky smell coming from his dirty socks. He then promises, to get rid of the smell by washing all of his dirty socks.

This book is the definition of a fun read! I must applaud the author for paying attention to even the smallest details. By smallest details, I mean the font used, the colors and the illustrations. The font is very fun, easy to read and unique too. The different colors, the rhyming of words and patterns in the book, will help children in learning.

What I loved most about the book, were the illustrations. They have been drawn in such a funny and unique manner, that they correspond to what is happening in each page. Since the illustrations have been composed digitally, by an ipad, they look real and seem believeable. Len did good, by placing the writings on one side and the illustrations on the other. This made it clearer and easy to read through the texts.

While I have so many positive things to say about this book, there were parts of it I felt needed improvement. The ending seemed abrupt and rather unplanned for but since it's meant for small children, I doubt they pay attention to such details.Going back to the positives, the book has no grammatical errors due to the professional editing done on it.

I really enjoyed reading Sigfried's Smelly Socks! and it's for this reason I'm giving it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. This book has few words, therefore it can be read independently by children who are beginning to read. I also recommend it to parents who have no problem with reading laughable gross words and pictures, to add it to their children's bedtime libraries.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sincerely's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”