Review by LanieTaj -- The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LanieTaj
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanietaj.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Review by LanieTaj -- The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace

Post by LanieTaj »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace" by Julie Penshorn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Barnyard Bunnies is a read-a-loud book written by Julie Penshorn. The author used animals as the character. It was raining and Clover, Portland Pig, Grey Donkey, and Ol' Dot complained that they couldn't fit to the roof where the King was hiding. Their anger arises. They were so frustrated so they shouted. Then, Mrs. McCloud, a peacemaker, came and suggested some actions to solve their conflict.

There was a process called STOP which means "Stop and breath, Tell how you feel, Open your mind, Plan a deal" which is appropriate in resolving our conflicts like what the animals did on the story. I like that the author gave some actions and recommendations that are very helpful for everyone so that we are not preceded by anger.

Some of us are easily to get mad.This story will surely give us realization that no one will be upset if there were clear negotiation. We should think first before anger hits us. Anger can make someone hurt, scared, worried, or even frustrated. Be sensitive to someone's feeling and be careful on the actions that you can do — some lessons of the story.

I like the story. I like how the author managed to have used animals as her character because it is captivating and pleasing to the eyes. Children can really learn from this material and it is memorable for them because they attracted to something that is colorful. Not only the children but also the adults because through this book, they will become aware that they should not be carried away by the anger. I like the character of Mrs. McCloud because she became the bridge to solve the problem. In this case, children can portray her character and adapt it in real life situation. I also like the end of the story. They make some guide and questions about the STOP for Peace that can be explored for the classrooms or homes. They give some recommendations what we should do to cease our anger. It is truly a motivation for the readers. Also, they include a song which is entertaining for the children.

I think this book is suitable for the young children as well as for the adults because this can help their anger to reduce. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because character's characteristics are well emphasized and a motivational and inspirational book for all of us.

The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like LanieTaj's review? Post a comment saying so!
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Your review was quite descriptive. Furthermore, I love the moral of the story and how it is portrayed.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like the way you have highlighted "Anger" and its effects in your review. The author has done a good job in giving tips on conflict resolution, which is very important. The idea of "STOP" used like that was very eye catching, something worth remembering. I like your thoughtful review and looking forward in reading the book. Thank you!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
mideworld48
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mideworld48 »

To every word, there is an opposite; synonym. Here, we see clearly how anger can be managed by just a calm of peace. How resolution can actually bring about a true environment that is habitable. If the earth(things) and the soil are at war, the sky comes in to place in the person of cloud to pour down rain or bring out the sun to either vamp the excess rain or give brightness to the issue.
This is such a wonderful book whose lesson is fully loaded, above all, the characters were depicted with animal to show that they are humans too. We can also learn from them.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Thanks for your honest review. Wow! The concept of controlling anger is adapted in the form of a children's book with animal characters. What more to expect. Anger can be very frustrating and can cause you a lot of pain if we can't control it. Its suitable for both children as well as adults.
tgill
Currently Reading: Borne
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by tgill »

This sounds like a fun, cute, and worthwhile book. I totally agree that children’s books should be read by adults! This one seems like it has some lessons most adults could definitely benefit from. And they can get through it quickly and have some fun while reading it! Thanks for the review!
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

The concept that is explored in this book sounds like a good one to teach to children of any age, especially those that are just learning how to interact with their peers. I like the idea of what the acronym STOP represents and it would go along well with teaching kids how to use their words to express their own feelings. I would like to read The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace and then share it with the local school district that I work as a substitute Para-Educator at. I will have to check the local library and see if it is there.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Conflict resolution is an aspect of life that will always be studied. It's great the author has used a creative method to help instill its importance even in kids, starting from an early age. The STOP method is quite fun and unique, I'll use it with my school children. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

Great review of a good book. It's always important, I think, to have a lesson that you can learn from in a book and this was certainly a good one!
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

This book sends a really important message to young readers. Peaceful problem-solving must be clearly taught and children love fables. Great review! Thanks.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”