Review by Selbyen -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Selbyen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-selbyen.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Selbyen -- Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Selbyen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian Of Deceit by William H Coles

The book is about a young boy Darwin Hastings who leaves Pittsburgh where he had lived with an aunt for sometime after the death his parents. Due to his aunt no longer being physically capable of looking after him, he moves in with his cousin Luther Pinnelli, who is a famous footballer living in the Hamptons. He soon discovers living with a famous athlete isn’t all is cracked up to be, he holds steadfast of his dreams of being a medical doctor and with determination and good fortune he is able to get into medical school and live a fulfilled life.

The tittle of the book connects with the story only in the first part of the book, 97 pages out of 316 to be exact, in this first part of the book you get an idea of the living conditions he is subjected to while with his cousin who has am appetite for gambling, drugs and violent encounters with numerous women to say the least. The rest of the book however focuses on Darwin life and at times varies off to other characters lives who all still tie in with the main Character. I feel the book should have had a different title since Darwin’s deceitful guardian was not the main storyline in the book. I was captivated by the title at first but disappointed that the story digressed.

What I liked most about the book was the way in which it first started, not only was I intrigued by the story and the character’s, the author also had a way of grabbing my attention with the style of his writing. I was curious to see where the main character and his cousins relationship would lead, and to what depths of deceit would be uncovered. I had no idea I would later be struggling to finish reading the book as the story plot seemed to loose its way. The middle to the end of the book focused more on romances between characters, which I didn’t really like and I feel as if the author threw in a murder mystery to keep readers intrigued, but even that sadly ended all to quickly and lost its appeal.

I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars because although the author started off great, the rest of the book however did not remain true to the title, which is a shame because it had a lot of potential. I would have like to have read more about the relationship between the main character and his guardian. The guardian also could have been more deceitful and a lot more juicier storyline could have been written rather than the on off romance of characters that plagued the book.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Selbyen's review? Post a comment saying so!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

I enjoyed your reasons for liking and not liking in the latter portion of the review.
But, the former portions overwhelmed with spoiler alerts.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”