Review by heliz_t -- The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
heliz_t
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heliz-t.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by heliz_t -- The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace

Post by heliz_t »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace" by Julie Penshorn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace is a children’s book aimed at educating children (and potentially parents, caregivers, and teachers) about effective communication strategies for resolving conflict.

The book tells the story of a group of animals who live on a farm. While the sun shines, everyone is happy, but conflict arises when it starts to rain. A horse called King takes the dry spot under the barn roof. The other animals are cold, wet and angry. Mrs. McCloud, the animals’ friend and barnyard peacemaker, helps the animals to communicate about their feelings and solve the problem by using the STOP method.

The book is a fun and entertaining read. The text, by Julie Penshorn, tells an engaging story, mainly through rhyme. The colourful illustrations, by Jorry Keith, make the pages attractive to the intended audience of 3 - 8 - year - olds. I read the story with my 6 - year - old, who loved the pictures, and identified the different animals in the pictures while listening to me reading the story aloud. She has asked to read it again a number of times, and has liked talking together about how the animals in the story felt, how they solved their problem, and how we can talk about our feelings and solve our problems in similar ways.

There was one section, on page 13, where the language structure was awkward: “ “I feel angry when one gets it all.” “Me too.” exclaimed Pig. “Me too,” said them all.” “ Ultimately however, this did not detract from our enjoyment of the story, or from the clear educational message of the book.

The book comes with an educational guide for parents and teachers, which includes some great resources for developing children’s learning about communication and conflict resolution. I teach English as a Second Language to groups of children in the target age group for this book. I can see great potential for reading this story with my students in order to combine literacy development with wider communication and conflict resolution skills, and to set up expectations for positive classroom communication. I am very much looking forward to using this story in my classroom. There is also sheet music for an accompanying song, which the musically inclined can sing with the child or children they read the book with.

This book has all the elements of a great children’s book. It’s fun, engaging, and educational, and comes with comprehensive resources for adults to help the children get the absolute most out of the story. Therefore I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like heliz_t's review? Post a comment saying so!
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

This book sends a really important message to young readers. Peaceful problem-solving must be clearly taught and children love fables. Great review! Thanks.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
heliz_t
Currently Reading:

Post by heliz_t »

You're welcome! I totally agree with you about the importance of peaceful problem-solving.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Nice review. This sounds like it has a ton of positive elements to it, much more than I would have guessed. I hope it goes well when you share it with your class and it is so awesome your child enjoys it so much.
heliz_t
Currently Reading:

Post by heliz_t »

Thanks! I've been working on a class outline, and I'll likely use it over the coming months.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”