Review by KFree_Reads -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by KFree_Reads -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by KFree_Reads »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Islands Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants written by Caleb J. Boyer is a fun treat for preteens with an active and vivid imagination. The book is a perfect mixture of the genres: adventure, young adult, science fiction and coming-of-age. What is quite remarkable is that the book was written when the author was only 12 years old. Knowledge of the author’s age greatly influenced my analysis of the book.

The author’s debut book tells the story of two young boys, Matthew and Ryan, who find themselves stranded on an island with no memory of how they got there. The only thing they remember is each other. In order to survive the unknown depths of the island, the two best friends must stick together. The two central themes in this book are friendship and teamwork, which the two characters demonstrate as they overcome each challenge. Boyer’s story reminded me of the book Journey to the Center of the Earth, which I read as a youngster. The similarities between both books are the back to back adventures and the importance of the characters sticking together in difficult circumstances.

Boyer understandably uses simple language which makes his book quite an easy read but the simplicity of the sentence construction the author uses also has some disadvantages which I will expound on later. For now, I will discuss the aspects of the book that I enjoyed. The author undoubtedly has a very vivid imagination, one which made every bizarre creature or obstacle believable for the most part. I am not certain if this was done intentionally, but I did notice that it seemed Boyer would often preempt me by answering questions that popped up in my mind as I read.This occurred quite a few times throughout the story and each time I was about to doubt the credibility of the story the author would provide a plausible explanation. For example, when Ryan asked Matthew how he knew how to start a fire, the sentences that followed quelled my skepticism about Matthew’s survival skills. I really liked that he thought ahead and anticipated this reaction from readers. I also liked that I was able to distinguish the characters’ personalities. Through my reading I was able to imagine the interaction between both boys, particularly their facial expressions during dialogue.

Publishing a book at the age of 12 is no easy feat. While this is admirable, there were some areas of the book that did not make it as enjoyable as I had hoped. There was some amount of oddity in the verbal exchange between the two characters. The dialogue was often strained and unnatural. I wish the author had provided the actual age of the two boys. I think knowing their ages would have made the characters a lot more believable for me. The dialogue between the characters suggested two immature teenagers but their survival skills gave the impression of two young adults. I just found that more often than not the way they speak seems to contradict the mature way in which they handle each challenge on the island. The book had only a few errors but I think the biggest pitfall was sentence construction. The sentences were more explanatory than descriptive which sometimes left very little to my imagination or made a simple thought more complexed. Lastly, the characters were not convincingly scared, considering that they were written as two youngsters still living with their parents. I found that I was unable to experience the fear, the anxiety and all the other emotions of the characters.

Boyer's creativity is unquestioned but as a young writer, there is definitely room for improvement. My only recommendation is that the author, as he continues to develop as a writer, uses language that shows rather than tells. Unfortunately, the book left me with more questions than answers. Although the author explained why he ended the book the way he did, I think the disappointing ending may still distract readers from the lesson he intended to teach. I imagine an anticlimactic ending would be ideal if a sequel is in the works but after reading the author's note I sense that this particular story is left for readers to fill in the blanks themselves.

Therefore, based on the aforementioned issues, especially the disappointing ending, I will have to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. At first, I was leaning more toward a 2 out 4 stars rating but I could not ignore the fact that this is a 23-chapter book written by a 12-year-old, which is absolutely incredible. Amidst the shortcomings, I think young readers will love this book. On the other hand, adult readers may not really like the simplicity and predictability of the plot, if they are more inclined to complex plots. Should an adult reader decide to pick up a copy of Islands Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants, they may just be left wanting more out of the story.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KFree_Reads's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Amazing that a 12 year old wrote that book! Thank you for your detailed review!
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

Thank you! I was really amazed when I learned his age.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I thought that this book was perfect for the age group. 8 to 12 year olds will love the simple language and plot. I appreciate your review! Glad that you were able to enjoy it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 11:26 I thought that this book was perfect for the age group. 8 to 12 year olds will love the simple language and plot. I appreciate your review! Glad that you were able to enjoy it.
I agree with you on that. I definitely think that age group would be ideal for this book.Thanks for reading my review.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Wow, your review is downright flawless! I love your writing style and the way you highlighted the varying aspects of this book. I also agree that it's so amazing that a 12-year-old could be so imaginative to the extent of producing a 23-chapter book. However, now knowing that it's going to probably leave me wanting more, I'm not going to be in such a hurry to read it. Perhaps, I'll do so when I have less books on my list. Thanks for the revealing review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

Vickie Noel wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 07:27 Wow, your review is downright flawless! I love your writing style and the way you highlighted the varying aspects of this book. I also agree that it's so amazing that a 12-year-old could be so imaginative to the extent of producing a 23-chapter book. However, now knowing that it's going to probably leave me wanting more, I'm not going to be in such a hurry to read it. Perhaps, I'll do so when I have less books on my list. Thanks for the revealing review.
Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm glad I was able to provide insight on this book. Hope you enjoy it when you decide to check it out.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

KFree_Reads wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 08:06
Vickie Noel wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 07:27 Wow, your review is downright flawless! I love your writing style and the way you highlighted the varying aspects of this book. I also agree that it's so amazing that a 12-year-old could be so imaginative to the extent of producing a 23-chapter book. However, now knowing that it's going to probably leave me wanting more, I'm not going to be in such a hurry to read it. Perhaps, I'll do so when I have less books on my list. Thanks for the revealing review.
Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm glad I was able to provide insight on this book. Hope you enjoy it when you decide to check it out.
I sure will! :D
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Good to know Boyer wrote this book at the age of 12 years! Your review will help him improve the good work he is doing. Nice and honest review.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really like how you stress that this book was written by a 12 year old and that you kept that in mind when reviewing the novel. I also always enjoy when people make comparisons to other books or authors that are well known. It really helps the reader gain a broader understanding of the style of the book. Great review!
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

Rosemary Okoko wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 10:48 Good to know Boyer wrote this book at the age of 12 years! Your review will help him improve the good work he is doing. Nice and honest review.
Thanks ! I definitely hope he continues to write. I am confident he'll get far as a writer.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:34 I really like how you stress that this book was written by a 12 year old and that you kept that in mind when reviewing the novel. I also always enjoy when people make comparisons to other books or authors that are well known. It really helps the reader gain a broader understanding of the style of the book. Great review!
Thanks a lot ! I think stressing his age was very important. It is definitely a fact I could not exclude. Glad you enjoyed the review.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I really enjoyed reading your opinion and analysis! I sort of agree that the boys ages are hard to determine. They talk like twelve year olds, but one of them is described as being six feet tall, which is a tad confusing, lol. So I think there was some definite imagination going on there trying to give the characters a “cool” factor, so I just imagined them as shorter, twelve year olds.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I seem to get the impression that this novel is inspired by the Anime Series, and by the reality games on TV. I also noted the ages of the protagonists being so way below legal restrictions. Anyway, if all those others and some kiddie shows get away with violence, then this must just be following the norms. Thank you for your interesting review.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:

Post by KFree_Reads »

Rosemary Okoko wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 10:48 Good to know Boyer wrote this book at the age of 12 years! Your review will help him improve the good work he is doing. Nice and honest review.
Thanks ! I definitely hope it helps. I could not ignore the author's age in my review. I don't think that would have been fair.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”