Review by cristinaro -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by cristinaro -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Published in 2015, Alex Fayman’s first book of the Superhighway trilogy definitely targets a 21st century reader interested in high-speed communication, travel and technology. At a first glance, the novel is written for a young adult audience since the narrator and protagonist of the events is 18-year-old Alexander Fine who grows up in a rundown orphanage in downtown Los Angeles until the moment he accidentally discovers not only his power to travel through network cables to any destination in the world where a computer is available, but also to access any electronic archives, to download huge databases and manipulate classified information of famous banks or government agencies. On a closer reading, some may argue that the presence of a few graphic descriptions of violent or sexual scenes does not make it appropriate for a younger audience although such descriptions are reduced to a minimum and they are ultimately used as a warning against the types of dangers and mistakes teenagers living in contemporary society are likely to face and make.

Seemingly inspired by comic books where protagonists are either superheroes or supervillains, Alex Fayman does his best to imagine a main character who gradually acquires credible and tridimensional characteristics. From the very beginning the novel borders on science-fiction starting with the image of Alex travelling at the speed of light through the darkness of a vast fiber optic web to his castle-like property on Galicia, his own private Caribbean island. The author skillfully uses the first three chapters of the novel to offer the readers the necessary background on Alex’s hard start-up in life, his two failed attempts to live with foster parents and his attachment to Ms. Jenkins, the orphanage’s administrator. At this point, I particularly enjoyed the author’s art of storytelling with Alex’s confession of the physical abuse he suffered in one of his foster families and his life in the orphanage reminding me of Charles Dickens’s Oliver Twist, one of the most memorable orphan figures in English literature.

Unlike his 19th century counterpart, Alex Fine does not find life in the orphanage intolerable due to Ms. Jenkins’s care and protection; he proves to be very smart and from an early age he shows his interest in math and his passion for reading. He understands that education is his surest ticket to freedom, yet everything changes when he turns 18 and is only a couple of months away from moving to a Stanford college dormitory. The moment the orphanage gets a small computer lab Alex becomes aware of his capacity to travel through the complex web maze and plunges into a series of adventures leading him to a variety of locations from a luxurious resort in Hawaii to Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam or Switzerland’s largest commercial bank in Zurich. Alex’s superpowers and the way they make him feel and change his personality make me draw another parallel between the Superhighway trilogy and Andy Brigg’s series HERO.COM and VILLAIN.NET similarly featuring young protagonists who stumble on a website that turns them into superheroes and makes them battle supervillains.

One of the greatest achievements of the novel is the author’s talent to make Alex raise beyond a mere schematic figure of the Robin Hood type. Apart from acting the superhero stealing from the bad guys and giving to the poor, Alex also displays a complexity of emotions and feelings typical of any ordinary teenager who can identify himself with the protagonist. Conscious of his God-like skills, he plans to use them against people like Henry Langhout, the alleged head of a Dutch crime syndicate, yet on his way to maturity he will realize that every action has its consequences so he will soon pay a heavy price for his otherwise good intentions. From my perspective, Alex’s sometimes moral ambiguity makes his character more veridical: he experiences the hustle and bustle of Amsterdam night life drinking his first vodka cranberry, smoking marihuana and having his first sexual experience; he cheats on his girlfriend and either rents or buys very expensive cars and properties for his own personal benefit. At the same time, he often feels guilt and remorse and sets up a foundation to identify charity and other worthy targets for funding. All in all, the storyline is intense keeping the readers connected to Alex’s romantic and adventurous life up to the climactic moment when he learns the truth about his parents and the source of his incredible powers. Even the novel’s cliffhanger falls in line with the plot as a whole paving the way for a sequel where the author is expected to follow the adventures of a more mature protagonist and thus readjust his style and perhaps change his target readership.

With the exception of a few minor mistakes such as missing prepositions or auxiliary verbs, the editing is very good and contributes to my overall good impression of the book. I choose to rate this book 3 out of 4 stars mainly because of the recurrence of a number of stereotypical patterns in either plot or character development.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cristinaro's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

I had not really thought of it like a comic book despite the "superpower" aspect. That was interesting to me to think of it that way now. I also agree with you about the sexual and violent scenes being toned down enough for young adults. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I started this book, but it really didn't do it for me. I got stuck somewhere in the middle. Still, appreciate your review! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I've been interested in checking out this book, maybe I'll give it a go. It sounds like Alex is an extremely flawed protagonist, which is really tricky to pull off without alienating the audience. I love reading about people with superheroes, I just think that it gets hard to maintain interest in such a powerful character unless they're up against an equally powerful threat, and more often than not, that just ends up being someone wanting to destroy or rule the world. And that just gets boring.

Thank you for your thorough review!
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

britt13 wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 10:12 I had not really thought of it like a comic book despite the "superpower" aspect. That was interesting to me to think of it that way now. I also agree with you about the sexual and violent scenes being toned down enough for young adults. Great review!
Thanks for your comments. All sorts of connections pop up when reading a book. :) You never know. That's the great thing about it.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 15:30 I started this book, but it really didn't do it for me. I got stuck somewhere in the middle. Still, appreciate your review! Thanks.
I have this thing and you may call me crazy or old-fashioned. I don't think I've ever started a book without finishing it. Exception to the rule would be those with an incredibly poor editing, really unreadable. One of my best friends does exactly the opposite. He's always reading or at least starting 5 or 6 books at a time, many of them unfinished. I totally understand you, of course. There are so many good books out there so if you simply don't like one, why stick to it? Well, it doesn't work this way for me. Once I start something, I want to finish it. :) I guess I am just stubborn.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Mekkinism wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 03:43 I've been interested in checking out this book, maybe I'll give it a go. It sounds like Alex is an extremely flawed protagonist, which is really tricky to pull off without alienating the audience. I love reading about people with superheroes, I just think that it gets hard to maintain interest in such a powerful character unless they're up against an equally powerful threat, and more often than not, that just ends up being someone wanting to destroy or rule the world. And that just gets boring.

Thank you for your thorough review!
Yes, you're right to a certain extent. Superheroes and supervillains tend to become mechanical and boring figures sometimes, but not always. It depends on the author's talent to stop it from happening. After all, all stories basically rely on a conflict between good and evil whether inwards or outwards. The fact that Alex makes mistakes turns him into a credible character, actually. More realistic. Thanks for reading and for your comments!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

cristinaro wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 03:33
kandscreeley wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 15:30 I started this book, but it really didn't do it for me. I got stuck somewhere in the middle. Still, appreciate your review! Thanks.
I have this thing and you may call me crazy or old-fashioned. I don't think I've ever started a book without finishing it. Exception to the rule would be those with an incredibly poor editing, really unreadable. One of my best friends does exactly the opposite. He's always reading or at least starting 5 or 6 books at a time, many of them unfinished. I totally understand you, of course. There are so many good books out there so if you simply don't like one, why stick to it? Well, it doesn't work this way for me. Once I start something, I want to finish it. :) I guess I am just stubborn.
Actually, I completely understand. It's just I have so much that I have to do that I don't want to do what I don't have to do. That probably didn't make any sense. I respect you for finishing. :)
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like how you draw the comparison to special powers in comic books. That creates a better understanding in my mind of what this novel is like. Too bad the writing style falls a little flat.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 08:21
cristinaro wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 03:33
Actually, I completely understand. It's just I have so much that I have to do that I don't want to do what I don't have to do. That probably didn't make any sense. I respect you for finishing. :)
It makes perfect sense, don't worry. Thank you.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for the review! I read it and it wasn't for me. Partly because of Alex's character and partly because the storyline, in general, wasn't of interest to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 15:09 I like how you draw the comparison to special powers in comic books. That creates a better understanding in my mind of what this novel is like. Too bad the writing style falls a little flat.
Thanks. Over the years I've managed to have an eye for the special things in a book. Besides, I've always respected every writer for the effort he or she makes to create something unique. I think we have enough destructive criticism nowadays.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

hsimone wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 06:20 Thank you for the review! I read it and it wasn't for me. Partly because of Alex's character and partly because the storyline, in general, wasn't of interest to me. I'm glad you enjoyed it, though!
Thank you. I can totally understand you. I like giving every book a chance and I always try to see things through the author's eyes. I am also trying to find an appropriate target readership for the book even if it is not exactly my favourite type or my favourite book. As you say, others may like it.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

You have finely explained the character of Alexander. No doubt, it is well suited for adult readers who are aware of the complexity of technology. Thanks for your critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

wow, thanks for such an extensive review, absolutely dying to read this

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”