Review by Clinical1 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clinical1
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Effective Leaders and Leadership
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clinical1.html
Latest Review: Breaking Sandcastles by Kirk Burris
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by Clinical1 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Clinical1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review – The Reel Sisters

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a fish tale like no other. The book focuses on a group of women from different backgrounds, different financial classes, and different ages who share a common interest – Fly Fishing.

The story opens with Sophie and Rose out on the water, enjoying their passion for fly fishing. They are soon joined by their friends, Veronica and Amanda. Character development is strong, giving the reader a sense of who each woman is on the inside and the outside. The author describes the scenery and setting with detail. The reader is immersed in the sights sounds and smells as if there with the women.

The author takes us along with these women on their personal journey of life. We see them in their home and work life, interacting with friends and family. We share their successes and losses and the stress of daily living. The author then takes us to their time together on the water in their happy place. The interaction between the matriarch, Rose, and the other women is warm and loving. But Rose knows how to throw a zinger at her friends when she has the opportunity.

On one trip, the core quad of women encounters a special visitor while on the water. They open their home and their hearts to the visitor despite the awkward entrance. This warm and welcoming quad is now a group of five.

When drama ensues, it is only fitting that the women are coming together as a group. The bond they share is much deeper than physical; it is beyond time and space. As the drama unfolds, you are carried along with the visual laid out on the pages. As the characters breathe rapidly, you feel yourself breathing with them. And when the characters cry, you cry.

The author does a fantastic job with character development and description. As a reader, I could see myself in Rose. She takes the younger women under her wing, and mentors them in life as well as in her fly fishing passion. I could also see myself in Veronica. When she reaches out to share her knowledge and her offer a lead through her husband’s business, she reminds me of the work I did through a professional mentorship program. Any of these women would be great to have as a friend. They are not perfect. They have flaws. But the bond they share overcomes their flaws. Any reader will identify with at least one of the characters and see themselves in the story.

I gave this book a 4 out of 4 rating. I loved the characters, the settings and the dialog between the characters. The main characters are strong, and the supporting characters are well written in their supporting roles. This book kept me interested in the characters and their story, with a few twists and turns to keep me on my toes. I would strongly recommend this book for its strong writing and the writers passion for her story.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Clinical1's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This is a very nicely written review! Perfect amount of detail and nice use of language. Good job! I look forward to reading other reviews of yours in the future.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for a great and insightful review. I'm glad you did not find some of the fly fishing details as technical as I did! Feel free to check out my review at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=54946
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”