Review by Curious mind -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Curious mind
Favorite Book: The Goldfinch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-curious-mind.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by Curious mind -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by Curious mind »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS: A Physician’s Advice is a non-fiction book written by retired doctor, Morton E. Tavel, MD. In bitesize chunks, he helps the reader digest the most recent evidence based research in relation to the plethora of contradicting information mislead, hopeful and even health conscious US citizens wade through on a daily basis.

The 62 Chapters are titled to allow the reader to navigate their way to topics that are most relevant to them. As a vegan I went straight to chapters like, “Dietary Supplements: Some Good, Some Useless, and Some Dangerous” and “Should You Consider Buying and Consuming Organic Foods?” But there really is something for everyone and it’s not all bad news with, “Coffee and Health: Good, Bad, or Indifferent?” And “Chocolate: Is it really good for what ails you? Now It May Even Help the Brain Function”

I learnt something new or surprising in almost every chapter and if it wasn’t relevant to me, there was usually something I wanted a friend or family member to know, like the surprising symptoms of heartburn. I consider myself fairly healthy and well informed in matters of general wellbeing so it was reassuring to learn new things sandwiched in with common sense guidance around diet, sleep and exercise. One of the challenges for me now as a UK reader will be to follow up how much of what I read about the US regulation of food, drugs and supplements is the same in the EU.

My favourite thing about this book was that it was as though I had the undivided attention of a knowledgeable person willing to research and answer all the questions that cross my mind when reading the labels of two identical looking supplements, wondering if I should cut down on coffee or confused about the difference between monounsaturated and hydrogenated fats (I might and can go back to that chapter again!)

My least favourite element to this book was that the tone swung unexpectedly between serious science and cringe Dad jokes, “...eat your breakfast every morning, and it better be more than just a doughnut and coffee, or I’ll tell mother on you!” Perhaps this was an attempt to appeal to a wider audience but a few jokes won’t win over a majority audience still transfixed on advice from more accessible "doctors" on TV and radio.

I like reading and love science, therefore rate this book as 4 out of 4 stars. I haven’t stopped bringing it up in conversation, have started to question my own decisions regarding GM food, brown rice and detoxing and am already recommending it to people I know.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Curious mind's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Thanks for the great review. I definitely learned some interesting tips from this book. As you point out, the book could easily be used as a reference. I felt the author could have come up with some evidence for his condemnation of alternative medicine, but aside from that, it was a useful manual. Nice job on your review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

You really went into details about your likes and dislikes. Those were my favorite parts of your review. I personally liked the authors humor.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”