Review by AbbyGNelson -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Review by AbbyGNelson -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by AbbyGNelson »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Writing a full-length book is no easy feat and is an accomplishment that few achieve. Caleb J. Boyer, with the help and encouragement of his parents, has started very early by finishing and publishing a book at the age of 12. This is an amazing and applaudable triumph regardless of how the book turned out.

Boyer’s book Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants is a story of two boys, Matthew and Ryan, who wake up abandoned on a beach with no memory of where they are or why they are there. What these two do know is that they are friends and they need to work together to find a way off the island. The book takes the reader on an adventure with these two boys as they discover the mysteries and challenges of this island that help them learn about themselves and what they are capable of as well as learn how to rely on each other.

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants is described on Amazon as a ‘Young Adult adventure’, but I would contend that it reads much more like a middle grade fiction book. The prose are very simple in terms of vocabulary and structure, the story is more about plot than character growth, and the characters act and seem quite young themselves.

About three quarters through the book, I was leaning towards giving this book 3 stars. While simple, the story is fun and keeps you engaged. I enjoyed the characters, and their sarcastic banter helped me to both get to know them better and help their friendship in the story blossom. I enjoyed the general message the story described - of the importance of friendship and how two people working together is always better than 2 individuals working apart.

At this point, the simplicity of the story is what kept if from a full 4 stars for me. The challenges that Matthew and Ryan have to face throughout the story all seem very similar and don’t change or develop as much as I would have liked to see. Even younger audiences appreciate an entertaining and unexpected twist that they weren’t expecting.

But in all honesty the ending is what really let me down, and for that reason I must rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Throughout the book there are a few scenes that hint at a world outside of the island, and they were honesting the most exciting and captivating moments in the entire story.

A common trope to storytelling is ‘Chekov’s Gun’ which states that every element of a story should contribute to the whole. It comes from Anton Chekhov's writing advice: 'If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired.’ When the book ended without explaining or returning to this world outside of the island, I felt disillusioned with the story. My hopes for an interesting plot twist to end the tale of Matthew and Ryan were dashed.

If he wanted to, Boyer could write a sequel to this story as the ending is open enough to allow him to do so. If he does write another book to keep this story going, I would expect to learn more about the world outside the island that was only hinted at in Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AbbyGNelson's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do understand about the ending letting you down. It didn't bother me as much because there was a purpose to it. But to each their own. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 11:32 I do understand about the ending letting you down. It didn't bother me as much because there was a purpose to it. But to each their own. Thanks for the review.
I'm glad it didn't bother you! And honestly, I do understand the meaning/purpose (since he tells you why he does it), but I just really wanted more explanation behind those scenes that were not on the island. I was disappointed that those weren't brought up before it ended.
readywriter59
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">Breaking Sandcastles</a>
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readywriter59.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by readywriter59 »

Good observations. I agree a sequel is in order.
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Good review and, as you know, I agree that the ending was not a satisfactory conclusion. Did anyone else notice an small wooden element that was introduced during the first gathering challenge but never had a real role in the story? I'm still wondering what that was about.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

readywriter59 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 12:13 Good observations. I agree a sequel is in order.
Thank you! And we'll just have to wait and see.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

P0tt3ry wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 14:02 Good review and, as you know, I agree that the ending was not a satisfactory conclusion. Did anyone else notice an small wooden element that was introduced during the first gathering challenge but never had a real role in the story? I'm still wondering what that was about.
I do remember the locked wooden box!! You can't just show that and not bring it back up again. That is so frustrating!
cmoffat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cmoffat.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by cmoffat »

I agree that the ending was unsatisfying, but after reading the author's note at the end I felt better about it. What he did was very intentional, so I don't feel like there needs to be a sequel. Great review!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

You've raised some interesting points here. The author's age continues to amaze me though, which would perhaps explain the simplicity of the plot that you've mentioned. Thanks for this review!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I’m reading this one right now, and so far I’m enjoying it. I’m so curious about the ending! Everyone who reads it has a different opinion. It’s amazing that someone so young can finish writing and publishing a book. I’m working on writing one now and it’s harder than it looks, but so much fun. Great review!
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Momiji1987 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 19:09 I’m reading this one right now, and so far I’m enjoying it. I’m so curious about the ending! Everyone who reads it has a different opinion. It’s amazing that someone so young can finish writing and publishing a book. I’m working on writing one now and it’s harder than it looks, but so much fun. Great review!
Oh my gosh yeah, writing a book seems like such a daunting task. Good luck!! What kind of book are you writing?
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

I had completely forgot this was labeled as Young Adult. By chapter 2 my mind had submitted this was a kids book for preteens.

Your comments about Chekhov's Gun were amusing. I originally was going to mention it in my review, but I didn't know how to explain, in words, my frustrations. You did an excellent job of saying what I couldn't.
Nebula626
Favorite Book: Angels & Demons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nebula626.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Nebula626 »

I found out the writer was 12 after submitting my review, although this tidbit of information allowed to understand that a very young writer had accomplished a great feet. I still wouldn't change my score on the book. I agree about the ending. It was left so open ended it made me feel disappointed because the ending could have many possible endings and we weren't given any. Thanks for checking out my first review! I'll keep an eye out for your next one.
theworldisatemple
Favorite Book: My Author Is Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theworldisatemple.html
Latest Review: My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau

Post by theworldisatemple »

Thanks for this review, and for reading mine. It was my first! This review was to the point and concise. I will learn from this. I was refreshed to see someone else give less than a 4. I think your 2 is fair.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

DathanReeves wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 15:59 I had completely forgot this was labeled as Young Adult. By chapter 2 my mind had submitted this was a kids book for preteens.

Your comments about Chekhov's Gun were amusing. I originally was going to mention it in my review, but I didn't know how to explain, in words, my frustrations. You did an excellent job of saying what I couldn't.
Thank you! Yeah the ending of this book was quite frustrating for me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”