Review by AbbyGNelson -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Re: Review by AbbyGNelson -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Nebula626 wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 07:43 I found out the writer was 12 after submitting my review, although this tidbit of information allowed to understand that a very young writer had accomplished a great feet. I still wouldn't change my score on the book. I agree about the ending. It was left so open ended it made me feel disappointed because the ending could have many possible endings and we weren't given any. Thanks for checking out my first review! I'll keep an eye out for your next one.
You're welcome! I'll add you to my friend list so I can find your next reviews too.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

theworldisatemple wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 07:46 Thanks for this review, and for reading mine. It was my first! This review was to the point and concise. I will learn from this. I was refreshed to see someone else give less than a 4. I think your 2 is fair.
Haha yeah, I personally don't think it deserves a 4 at all!
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

number4grout wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 16:42 This is a good look into the book! I'm sorry it didn't end well for you; that's always something I hate. Nothing leaves a sour taste in your mouth quite like a bad ending.
Seriously! Ruins the whole mood. What are you reading?
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Interesting review. I like how you stress the age of the author. Not a lot of other reviewers have done that, and I think it is a really important piece of information that furthers one's understanding of the book.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 13:21 Interesting review. I like how you stress the age of the author. Not a lot of other reviewers have done that, and I think it is a really important piece of information that furthers one's understanding of the book.
Totally! 12 is soooo young to write a novel.
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

number4grout wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:43
AbbyGNelson wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 11:40
number4grout wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 16:42 This is a good look into the book! I'm sorry it didn't end well for you; that's always something I hate. Nothing leaves a sour taste in your mouth quite like a bad ending.
Seriously! Ruins the whole mood. What are you reading?
Right now I'm reading a classic - Far From a Madding Crowd. I love re-reading this book. :D
I love that book!!
Sptlightstar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sptlightstar.html
Latest Review: The Stain by Ed DeVos
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sptlightstar »

I wholeheartedly agree that this is middle-grade fiction - I think young people would enjoy reading a book that is written by a peer, perhaps giving them the confidence to do the same. There's a fine line to walk because this author is 12 years old and we have the remember that, but at the end of the day, this book is put in the same category/genre as The Hunger Games and Divergent, so I think your 2 out of 4 stars is completely justified! Parts of the story were very intriguing, for sure!
Latest Review: The Stain by Ed DeVos
AbbyGNelson

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Sptlightstar wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 10:08 I wholeheartedly agree that this is middle-grade fiction - I think young people would enjoy reading a book that is written by a peer, perhaps giving them the confidence to do the same. There's a fine line to walk because this author is 12 years old and we have the remember that, but at the end of the day, this book is put in the same category/genre as The Hunger Games and Divergent, so I think your 2 out of 4 stars is completely justified! Parts of the story were very intriguing, for sure!
Thanks for the note! And yeah I would never want this to be discouraging for the author. It's just if you are going to publish, it is going to be compared. If I wrote a novel at 12, it would have been MUUUCH worse than this!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

P0tt3ry wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 14:02 Good review and, as you know, I agree that the ending was not a satisfactory conclusion. Did anyone else notice an small wooden element that was introduced during the first gathering challenge but never had a real role in the story? I'm still wondering what that was about.
Yeah, that wooden box, and also the recurring dream, raised so much storm then just fizzled out. Boyer is yet to learn about tying threads.

Thanks for the review AbbyGNelson. I also found the conclusion anti-climatic but I bought Boyer's explanation. I agree with your review. Feel free to check my review of the same.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 16:22
I do remember the locked wooden box!! You can't just show that and not bring it back up again. That is so frustrating!
I absolutely agree. This has been driving me nuts! Especially since the boys worried that it was something important they should not have lost.

I despise unanswered questions. I can't read anything about unsolved crimes because the lack of a conclusion makes me wonder way longer than I should.

The cliffhanger ending was also incredibly frustrating. I read Boyer's note in the end but I truly cannot get past the idea that an experienced author doesn't need an end note to explain his book to the reader. The book itself should do the explaining.

To me, this book was equivalent to Maze Runner if it had no sequels.
Rollison_d1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rollison-d1.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Rollison_d1 »

I completely agree with everything you said in your review. My review was similar. I do believe this young author has a lot of talent and could make a second book for this one to clear up some loose ends.
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I am new at this reviewing book stuff and after reading yours, I felt I have a long way to go! I liked your review, very straightforward.
However, I don't relish a sequel of the book.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I think this is the most honest review I've read of this book so far. I haven't read it personally, but reading your review gave more light to the book. I agree that it's an impressive feat to write a book at the age of 12. The amount of dedication and support Boyer must've had would've greatly attributed to this, and hopefully, he can grow as an author if that's what he wants to do. It doesn't surprise me that it reads at a middle-grade book though. With someone so young, it's difficult to get further than that unless they are some kind of genius and missing out on plot points can be an easy mistake with a long book written by someone so young. I hope he continues to write though. It seems like he has the makings of a good author later down the line.
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Nice review! I appreciate your good observations and your point of view of the book. The ending of the book sounds a little disappointing. I think I will wait for the sequel.
komicyril
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by komicyril »

Thank you for the report i like ir

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”