Review by Indigo14 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
M Lynn Faxon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-lynn-faxon.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by Indigo14 -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by M Lynn Faxon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

McDowell by William H. Coles is a fiction novel set in present day. Hiram McDowell is an extremely intelligent man; highly regarded surgeon, philanthropist, and a veteran mountain climber. He is suffering through multiple marriages and children. He is known to relax with a harmonica on open mic night.

The journey begins on a mountain side at the highest elevation on Earth, with freezing winds and frigid temperatures. In my “real” world, I sat inside while our first snow stormed outside; silent snowfall, howling winds and single digit temperatures. I developed a certain sympathetic relationship to the climbers on the mountain, snuggling even closer to the fire in our hearth while contemplating Hiram’s next move.

Hiram’s life takes dramatic turns, up and down. He steps on toes and will do whatever is necessary to succeed and move up the proverbial ladder. Through mysterious but not entirely founded accusations in his research, Hiram flees. He makes his way to the mountains, where he knows the terrain and feels he is in a safe and protective environment. The locations and scenery are constantly changing; Hiram’s encounters and their stories evolving. Hiram wants to write his memoir in hopes of clearing his name. At one point, he thinks, “Why has life chosen to torture me?” Throughout his adventure he meets a few good people willing to help and he develops an understanding of human nature, the good and bad. He meets a few special people who give him a different perspective on life.

William H. Coles has the great ability to visually bring the characters to life both physically and emotionally. It is easy to envision Hiram’s interaction with each new character. He has extensive knowledge of that which he writes; the surgeon’s relentless research and drive to help those less fortunate, the snow team’s struggles on a mountain, and dealing with marriage and children. I believe this was more of a weakness than strength due to his arrogant, egotistical self-importance.

McDowell is exciting as you follow Hiram across the country. I was stunned with the ending, did not see it coming. Kudos Mr. Coles! This is a real page turner. Grammatically there were some minor spacing issues and I found two misspellings (pg.11 carousel, pg.285 dementia). Since these errors are minor, I would give it 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to other readers. It has something for everyone; adventure, mystery, marriages with the familiar struggles, murder and mayhem. Many of the subject matters are prevalent in the news today.

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Indigo14's review? Post a comment saying so!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Interesting. I can't figure out from your review why I would want to read this book. What kept you turning the pages?
Ema1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ema1 »

quite interesting. McDowell is an extremely intelligent man; highly regarded surgeon, philanthropist, and a veteran mountain climber.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Hi indigo I have read your review. You have given a beautiful atmosphere of mountain range in your review. This is an amazing look you have given to the book by your review. In fact your review is different in theme from the others.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

jcoad wrote: 14 Aug 2018, 14:32 Interesting. I can't figure out from your review why I would want to read this book. What kept you turning the pages?
I think this review could have given more of a summary. I have read quite a few reviews for this book and truly believe I will fall in love with it.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”