Review by freakkshowx -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
freakkshowx
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freakkshowx.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Review by freakkshowx -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by freakkshowx »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew and Ryan have been best friends as long as they can remember. Which, unfortunately, isn’t very long at all after they find themselves washed up on the beach of a deserted island where not all is as it appears. With only slivers of the past to cling to, the teens struggle to sew together the scraps, all while playing a very dangerous game. The boys must battle the foreign environment, replete with strange beasts, meager rations, poisonous fruit, and four mysterious keys in order to survive. An uncomfortable sensation gnaws at the back of their minds as they traverse this new reality, though, and it sure feels like someone is watching them suffer on purpose. Will the witty duo be able to beat the Island Games?

Shifting sands, boiling lava, the freezing tundra, and perfect circles pervade Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants. The two plucky protagonists learn a lot about friendship and living life in the eye of the storm while learning to accept their new dystopian reality, even as they long for the comforts of home. If they manage to play all of their cards at exactly the right time, they might be able to distract the gamekeepers long enough to escape, which, when combined with an invisible wall, rains of fire, suffering in nature in pairs, and proficiency with arrows, sounds a heck of a lot like The Hunger Games.

Too many aspects of Island Games sound like echoes of Suzanne Collins’ capitol-concocted best seller for me to chalk it up to coincidence, and I was extremely disappointed, because the inspiration was thinly-veiled. If Boyer wants to make it as an author, he’s going to have to scrap some of the major elements of works that serve as his muse to avoid dissatisfied readers and irked peers. Other aspects that I felt needed serious improvement were the tone, saturated with nonchalance, word choice, and characterization. Repetition ran rampant in the text, and it distracted me from the story by disrupting the flow between every paragraph or so. On top of that, Matthew and Ryan weren’t believable to me, because they were far too positive and mature for young teenagers stranded in the wild.

For a 12-year-old breakout author, however, the book wasn’t too shabby, and I appreciated how realistic the memory loss was for the boys. As someone who’s suffered a traumatic brain injury during a freak accident, seemingly insignificant memories returning in oddly-cropped snippets with faces missing and bodies blurry is shockingly accurate, meaning that either the author has been through the same thing, or he’s done his research. The occasional outbursts from both characters were also sporadic and brought on by fatigue, which is believable as well, making the read a bit less difficult to trudge through for me. I’d place it on par with Victor Rose’s Brimstone Chronicles, which is still above the worst I’ve wrestled with.

I’m going to have to award this book a measly 1 out of 4 stars; I have faith that the author can learn, grow, and put forth so much better. Boyer shows promise, but I have to base my judgement on the text I have in front of me, and if I want to hold it to the same standard as other young adult fiction on the shelves, I can’t show leniency for the age of the author. If I could talk to Caleb J. Boyer, I would say that the poor quality of early work for all creative artists is often mismatched to a sense of style and good taste, and perseverance is key if you want to find your voice. When I was 12, my writing wasn’t too hot, either, and I’m sincerely looking forward to Boyer’s progression as a content creator, as well as the next installment of Island Games.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like freakkshowx's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

While I reviewed this story and gave it a slightly higher score, I can definitely see why you gave this book only one star. It had huge issues! I honestly thought the characters' weird outbursts were part of the story and would be explained. Boy was I wrong!
freakkshowx

Post by freakkshowx »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 11:12 While I reviewed this story and gave it a slightly higher score, I can definitely see why you gave this book only one star. It had huge issues! I honestly thought the characters' weird outbursts were part of the story and would be explained. Boy was I wrong!
Thanks so much, I thought that, too. I wasn't pleased with the ending at all, and the whole time I was reading, I was sure it would make up for at least some of the problems I encountered along the way. I was rather disappointed; I really wanted to be blown away by this kid.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Probably it would have ranked first in the category of author kids. When I discovered the age, I thought I should treat it differently.
However, you acted as a reviewer and had to do the necessary.
Thanks for the review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
freakkshowx

Post by freakkshowx »

Paul78 wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 01:16 Probably it would have ranked first in the category of author kids. When I discovered the age, I thought I should treat it differently.
However, you acted as a reviewer and had to do the necessary.
Thanks for the review.
I definitely agree with you, it's a creative piece for a 12-year-old. I felt like a lot of people might give him some slack because of how old he is, but I decided not to, just because I wanted to add in a comparative voice to the market as a whole.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I’ve considered reading this book. Two shipwrecked adolescents sounds like an interesting plot, especially when the fantasy aspect is added. Maybe I’ll read it with my kids. Great review!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”