Review by madis0nmaley -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
madis0nmaley
Currently Reading: Authority
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madis0nmaley.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by madis0nmaley -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by madis0nmaley »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The common stereotypes portraying non-fiction works as boring are, more often than not, proven true. Add in a religious theme and you are almost guaranteed a trip to Snooze Fest (the summer event no one has been waiting for!) Although Combs’ book “Who Told You That You Were Naked?” is entirely factual and based in Christian teachings, it was both entertaining and interesting. So much so I almost have a hard time categorizing it as non-fiction.

The first few chapters are centered on dramatizations set in the Garden of Eden, with strategically placed interjections where Combs analyzes and explains the events in ways I—an eighteen-year veteran of the Church—had never seen. These dramatizations are biblically sound in the context of the first book of the Bible named “Genesis” which chronologically tells the story of creation, the fall of Man, and the consequences of sin. Not only are they factual, but these dramatizations are riddled with imagery and dialogue so cleverly written that they bring the reader closer to the historical characters that often feel so far removed from everyday life.

The author uses his theological education and experience to challenge our preconceived understanding of how and why sin came into our lives and how God redeemed us. He uses the context and translation of the story’s original language to shed light on the connotation of sin, not as a word, but as a force that shaped the lives of Adam and Eve and, subsequently, all of humanity.

In addition to his analysis of biblical events, each chapter ends with a list of questions meant to insight a discussion based on the newfound perspective on “sin and salvation”. This, I found, was a wonderful way to engage the reader and to further the intellectual stimulation his writing offers. The text itself is also emphasized by the endnotes section that goes into an even deeper explanation of the events surrounding the world’s first family, the apostle Paul, and the opinions of Christian scholars throughout time.

The way this book is written and organized makes it versatile enough to be used as the base for a study group seeking spiritual knowledge or for an individual seeking a new way of looking at a centuries old narrative. Either way, the tagline on the cover does not disappoint in advertising this read as a “refreshing reexamination”.

I decided to give this work 4 out of 4 stars due to its ability to breathe life into my previously deflated understanding of sin and its relationship with humanity. I thoroughly enjoyed William Combs book and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in the Man upstairs.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like madis0nmaley's review? Post a comment saying so!
DustinPBrown
Currently Reading: My Family and Other Animals
Bookshelf Size: 309
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dustinpbrown.html
Latest Review: It's Never Water Under the Bridge by Rianne Moss

Post by DustinPBrown »

I've seen this book for a while and been intrigued by the title (any time the word naked is used tends to pique our interests, right? XD) and I'm glad to see it was good! I'm not religious myself, so don't know if I could appreciate it the same way, but thanks for the nice review either way!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”