Review by JessNWheeler -- The Barnyard Buddies STOP for ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Review by JessNWheeler -- The Barnyard Buddies STOP for ...

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace" by Julie Penshorn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Author Julie Penshorn transports the reader to a colorful barnyard in The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace. All of the barnyard animals are peacefully sunbathing, but everyone begins to complain when it starts to rain. The reader follows the animals in the barnyard as they react to this situation and learn a very important lesson.

All of the barnyard animals huddle together for warmth in the rain except for the King. Grey Donkey is very angry because the King has the best spot. The King has claimed the spot under the barn roof to shield himself from the rain. The rest of the animals agree with Grey Donkey and they all get angry. Mrs. McCloud urges the animals to calm down, stop, and breathe. This is an excellent lesson for young children to learn through a fun and colorful story. Children between the ages of three and six would enjoy the animals and their story. It is a short and simple story that would be easy for this age group to understand. Many children between the ages of three and six have yet to learn how to control their anger to resolve a problem so this tale would be very beneficial. Young children would identify with Grey Donkey's reaction to this situation. Young readers would be excited to follow the animals' story through to the end.

This book includes a wonderful Parent and Educator Guide to be used as a teaching tool. This is a fun way to teach children problem-solving, anger management, and conflict resolution. There are no grammatical errors throughout the text. The story comfortably flows from one scene to the next making it pleasant to read.

Illustrations are a vital part of any children’s book. Jorry Keith illustrated this book. These illustrations breathe life into the story. Each picture is beautifully colored and very well executed. Each character's illustration gives them a bright and engaging personality.

I give this book four out of four stars. This book is beautifully illustrated. The pictures will engage and delight young readers. The story is well written. The themes and lessons of conflict resolution are clear and presented in an understandable way.

The story is fun and entertaining with interesting, relatable characters. Reading The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace with or to young children will help parents and teachers start a conversation with young children about the importance of resolving problems in a peaceful manner.

The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing short story children's book written by Julie Penshorn. The book teaches conflict resolution and emotional health. The book is excellent for children aged three to six and the onlinebookclub review represented the book perfectly.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A kids' book that helps kids to solve conflicts and conveyed lessons in fun way sounds good. Teaching kids to control their anger is important. The Parent and Educator Guide looks like a great addition to the book. That it was beautifully illustrated and well edited is another bonus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

What an excellent review! Thank you! Being a HS teacher, I do not interact with too many children's books, so I love when I see one for the BOTD. The creativity and planning that goes into writing a children's book amazes me every time I see one. To say as little as possible in a meaningful, comprehensible way that is engaging for children is not an easy task. Obviously, I'm a bit loooong winded, so I'm sure you can see why I am so impressed. :-) I think it is great that there is a parent/educator guide included to aid them in teaching kids these valuable life lessons. I have downloaded my copy, and I plan to tell my sister to do the same so she can share it with my sweet nephew today. Thank you again and keep up the great work! :-)
FaruqAhmed
Currently Reading: Dreams from My Father
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by FaruqAhmed »

Good review, I'm happy you carefully noticed how composed the book is; especially when you said the points are carefully arranged chronologically.
This should be recommended for our younger generation who are growing up in a troubled world full of conflict.
Kudos once again JessNWheeler
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

It is an animal tale,This is an excellent lesson for young children to learn through a fun and colorful story. Children between the ages of three and six would enjoy the animals and their story. It is a short and simple story that would be easy for this age group to understand.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What a great way to teach necessary social skills to children! I like that the author uses an everyday conflict, rain, and animals to show how this could create some angry emotions and how to manage that anger in a healthy way. It's great that there is a useful Parent and Educator Guide and that the illustrations are bright and engaging. I'm glad you enjoyed this children's book that encourages kids to resolve problems peacefully! Thank you for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

What a wonderful way to make the children learn problem-solving virtues. Thanks for the review.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

The colorful illustrations and the simple rhyming dialogue of the barnyard animals are pleasant to look at and to read. Young children will learn how to manage anger and come up with good solutions to problems as they see how the animals were able to in the book.
Strangerthanfiction
Currently Reading: Night Seeker
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strangerthanfiction.html

Post by Strangerthanfiction »

Great review. This sounds like an excellent book for younger, early or pre-readers. The lessons about anger management and conflict resolution are both important to teach as early as possible. With beautiful, colorful illustrations it’s sure to capture and keep these children’s attention. Congrats to the author on a terrific review. Thanks so much for sharing.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.” – Paul Sweeney
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

What a lovely book teaching children an important lesson. I would have preferred the characters to be children rather than barnyard animals, but at the end of the day it is the story that is more important and of that I have criticism. Thanks for your review.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Great review! I also think this is a nice little book to teach children about the importance of effective communication.
Dawnks09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawnks09.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Dawnks09 »

I love children's books especially when it talks about animals. This book could be entertaining and fascinating to read. Congrats to the BOTD. Thanks for this review...
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

Great review. This story definitely has some life lessons that children don't seem to be learning currently. Hopefully parents will latch on to this and others like it.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

I reviewed this boo few months ago and I must confess that the reviewer has done a good job. The contents is just like mine. All the important areas have been clearly dealt with. The author is a genius.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”