Review by airwoman311 -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
airwoman311
Currently Reading: Gates to Tangier
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airwoman311.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by airwoman311 -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by airwoman311 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Samyann’s Yesterday weaves a tale of timeless love and reincarnation. Amanda is on her way home from work when she witnesses a horrific train derailment. Seeing a police officer in danger, she instinctively runs to him, saving his life and instead is injured herself. Officer Mark Callahan carries her into a nearby antique shop, and as he lays her on a sofa he swears he’s seen this woman before, but where? There is a strong attraction and familiarity are there, like déjà vu or a distant memory he can’t place. While waiting for an ambulance to arrive, Amanda is lulled in and out of consciousness by the chimes of a clock in the store. After her recovery, Amanda is drawn back to the antique shop, where she buys the intriguing clock and takes it home.

The connection between Amanda and Mark is undeniable, and the two set out to find out why they both feel they know each other. But Amanda has lived a life of loss and fears that getting close to Mark will only cause more heartache. As they begin regression sessions with Mary, Amanda’s aunt, the story of Amanda’s past life as young Bonnie begins to unfold with her family fleeing to Chicago to escape the atrocities of the Civil War. As Amanda gets to know her past self, she wonders where Mark fits into her previous life- and what is it about chimes of the antique clock that make it so familiar and hypnotic?

Yesterday is full of Civil War-era history, and the author makes the extra effort to ensure historical accuracy. The book is a relatively easy read, and the dialogue between the characters flows naturally. There were only a few spelling or grammatical errors, but it doesn’t hinder the reader. There are a few terms related to the nineteenth century that I had to look up to understand context, but the author adds a nice bonus at the end of the book. Samyann has included a large section of author’s notes, giving us excerpts of history that she drew from for this book. She also gives the readers recipes for the foods she mentions, and a history on confederate candles with instructions on how to make them. That was a very nice touch.

Despite the overall story being interesting, I also felt the transitions between past and present were a little choppy. The story was also very slow to start, making me question a few times what direction the story was going- but not in the good way. The terms not covered in the author’s notes were also a little frustrating, as there were times I had to stop reading to look them up. Samyann provided no context or descriptions of the unusual items; it was as though she expected that the reader should already knew them, causing some difficulty.

If you are intimately knowledgeable in Civil War history, you won’t have any problems and will enjoy the effort of the author. However, if you aren’t an expert, there are terms you will need to take the time to look up for proper context. For this reason, combined with the uneven flow of the story, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The concept and overall story are very good, and despite the extra work on the reader’s part I think it’s worth reading.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like airwoman311's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Samyann’s Yesterday weaves a tale of timeless love and reincarnation. Amanda is on her way home from work when she witnesses a horrific train derailment. Seeing a police officer in danger, she instinctively runs to him, saving his life and instead is injured herself. Officer Mark Callahan carries her into a nearby antique shop, and as he lays her on a sofa he swears he’s seen this woman before, but where? There is a strong attraction and familiarity are there, like déjà vu or a distant memory he can’t place. While waiting for an ambulance to arrive, Amanda is lulled in and out of consciousness by the chimes of a clock in the store. After her recovery, Amanda is drawn back to the antique shop, where she buys the intriguing clock and takes it home.
This is an impressive entrance, and summary. The usual plot of a love story in pocketbooks I had read, but I still find myself drawn into reading them again and again. Thanks for the alluring review.
airwoman311
Currently Reading: Gates to Tangier
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airwoman311.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by airwoman311 »

Thanks! I'm drawn to them as well, but I have to be careful; sometimes (and in this case) the new book I'm reading becomes predictable.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I have done a review, myself, of this novel Yesterday by Samyann. It is an enjoyable book that reading it did not present itself as a chore in my review effort. You have an interesting review, although I may say that we looked at the book from different perspectives. I could not say I will read the book as I already did.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”