Review by Singer -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Review by Singer -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret (Stories of Ordinary Gurus I’ve Met) by Rob White is an inspirational book written by the author basing on his life experiences. He is a successful businessman, formerly a teacher and initially a village boy in a small town in New England where “few people reached ‘escape velocity’ and broke free of the gravitational forces holding them in place.” In this book, he leads the reader into a story about his life which takes different stages with different experiences that eventually made him to overcome the ‘gravitational forces’ (as he describes) in his village on way to success in life. The forces which are the main factors which shape and limit the lives of most people in the society.

From the stories he narrates, he describes his encounter with different ordinary people (Gurus) who make distinctive changes in his life. The lessons he gets from these Gurus are derived by him from normal interactions with them. These derived lessons help him to correct the psychological myths he believes into realities of life. The realities he discovers then helps him correct the errors he makes in life thus help him to forge forward in life a better man than initially.

One of the stories that captured my attention is the chapter; ‘Life in the Fast Lane’. In this story, he enrolls into Formula One race course. He had to sit in a class to be taught the theory of driving a Formula One car. He doesn’t concentrates in class because he thought that it’s like driving any car. This is because of the Myth he tells us he believed, - “Sometimes insisting you know is the speed lane to victory.” He discovers later after driving the Formula One that the instructions from the theory lesson were very important and thus lead him to discover the reality - “when my ego declines, I open my mind; and now I find the quickest path to the finish line.”

After learning important lessons from his experiences with the ordinary Gurus, he then passes the lesson to other people that he interacts in his life including his students while he was a teacher. This is the element that makes this book a special inspirational book. I personally have been inspired by this book and have taken a lot of life lessons from him just like the rest of the people he passed the lessons to after acquiring. Most of the stories follow the same pattern.

Besides, he writes in a style that makes the reader captivated throughout the book by making the stories follow progressive chronology of his life and by including a sense of humor in his writing style. The most humorous scenario is where he describes Mr. Lampkin the chief ground maintainer at the University of Massachusetts as “intimately acquainted with every leaf on every bush, and every thorn on every rose.”

The above description I have made about this book makes me to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. The only thing I have disliked in this book is his boasting tone which is evident in his narration according to me. I dislike this pride because it may make one to believe that the stories as exaggerated.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Singer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”