Review by LanieTaj -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LanieTaj
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lanietaj.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Review by LanieTaj -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by LanieTaj »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Place Of knowledge is written by a non-verbal, autistic teenager boy named Philip Alan Shalka. This story is a work of fiction that talks about Philip's adventure, together with Sabre, his assistance dog, at the bottom of the pool with a secret trap door. It leads to a city where they find peace, happiness, wisdom, and motivation. The city is so majestic that made it look perfect for the both of them. They met a person named Aristotle, which is a role model for Philip. Sabre sits whenever they travel to that place while Aristotle and Philip share a meaningful and fascinating conversation.

This book wanted us to realize that our world is seemed different. Philip wanted us to see the difference between the real world and his imaginary world, how his way of thinking is accepted at that place with Aristotle compared to the real world. His ideas are different from anybody else at his very young age.

Sabre is the one who narrates the story. Although the main character is Philip, through his narration, love and friendship between them are visible. Whenever they were in the real world, Sabre is the one that Philip talks to. He serves as the ears to listen on the thoughts and heart to understand what Philip is trying to say.

I like the story. I like how he uses and connects himself at the story. I assure you that it will give an impact on your life and made you think that you, as yourself, is a key for your own success. How the author's idea and imagination gave me the inspiration and motivation on my life. He also brings Aristotle, that is known for intellectual ideas, the foundation of his book is quite strong. There was nothing that I dislike on this book. Because as you read this, the messages are powerful and will change your negative impression when it comes to autism.

My favorite part is the exchanging of ideas of Philip and Aristotle. Philip's point of view in life made me think that, “Is he really a young boy" because his mindset is full of wisdom. Added to this, he is an inspiring boy because despite being an autistic child, he wrote this kind of book. Through this book, he wanted the world to discover that he is capable of something. His difficulty is not a hindrance to inspire and motivate other people.

I think this book is really suits to young, elderly, and who thinks that they are imperfect because they can be motivated by Philip's way of thinking and gives happiness and hope as the end of the story. There are 28 pages that uses simple words that is easy to understand. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because there were some errors. Also, give some emphasis and expressions that Sabre is a dog because as you read it, you may think that he is a human.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LanieTaj's review? Post a comment saying so!
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This review is interesting, well-written in the aspect of story coverage, and well-edited as well. You have captured the gist of the story about an autistic child who becomes the epitome of wisdom in another world. The dog might as well be human, being capable of feeling and analyzing emotions of people around him or it, as the case may be. Thanks for your review for affording as some glimpse into the insides of the story.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. It seems like Philip is one remarkable character and his relationship with Sabre is enviable. I wonder what sort of conversations Philip had with Aristotle. And was that the Aristotle? As in the teacher of Alexander The Great? Well, that makes it even more fascinating. I actually have it in my reading list and I hope I get a chance to read it soon. Good job on the review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I love books that will make me to think about life thus relating it to philosophy. It appears that this book falls into that category after reading your review. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I can see you truly enjoyed reading this book. An autistic boy that can transport himself and his dog to a different world and talk to one of the masterminds of history is not an every day story. I like your warning about Sabre, a reader may be confused and take him for a human. It gives me the idea he's quite an intellect himself. Thanks for sharing your ideas about this book, Lanie.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

That Place Of knowledge is written by a non-verbal, autistic teenager boy named Philip Alan Shalka. This story is a work of fiction that talks about Philip's adventure, together with Sabre, his assistance dog, at the bottom of the pool with a secret trap door. It leads to a city where they find peace, happiness, wisdom, and motivation. The city is so majestic that made it look perfect for the both of them. They met a person named Aristotle, which is a role model for Philip. Sabre sits whenever they travel to that place while Aristotle and Philip share a meaningful and fascinating conversation.
I like your introduction and short summary of this book. I laud the author for taking the readers into his world through this book despite his autism. I'm impressed, and thanks for sharing your review.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Very interesting review! I haven’t read a book about autism yet and I like that this author explores what it’s like to experience the world differently. You explained it well!
LanieTaj

Post by LanieTaj »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 10:20 This review is interesting, well-written in the aspect of story coverage, and well-edited as well. You have captured the gist of the story about an autistic child who becomes the epitome of wisdom in another world. The dog might as well be human, being capable of feeling and analyzing emotions of people around him or it, as the case may be. Thanks for your review for affording as some glimpse into the insides of the story.
Thank your for your feedback. I hope you can also read the book.
LanieTaj

Post by LanieTaj »

kimmyschemy06 wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 11:19 Sounds like a very interesting book. It seems like Philip is one remarkable character and his relationship with Sabre is enviable. I wonder what sort of conversations Philip had with Aristotle. And was that the Aristotle? As in the teacher of Alexander The Great? Well, that makes it even more fascinating. I actually have it in my reading list and I hope I get a chance to read it soon. Good job on the review!
Yes, it's a very interesting one. The conversations of Philip and Aristotle is really motivational. You can also make a realization out of it 'cause that's what the story did to me.
LanieTaj

Post by LanieTaj »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 11:41 I love books that will make me to think about life thus relating it to philosophy. It appears that this book falls into that category after reading your review. Thank you for your interesting review.
Yes, definitely. It is about philosophy in life. I hope you can also read the book. Thanks for your feedback.
LanieTaj

Post by LanieTaj »

Kalin Adi wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 11:32 I can see you truly enjoyed reading this book. An autistic boy that can transport himself and his dog to a different world and talk to one of the masterminds of history is not an every day story. I like your warning about Sabre, a reader may be confused and take him for a human. It gives me the idea he's quite an intellect himself. Thanks for sharing your ideas about this book, Lanie.
Yes, i really enjoyed reading this. I hope you can also consider reading this one.
LanieTaj

Post by LanieTaj »

Dolor wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 02:25
I like your introduction and short summary of this book. I laud the author for taking the readers into his world through this book despite his autism. I'm impressed, and thanks for sharing your review.
Yes, i also adore him for sharing this with us. I hope you can also read this one. Thanks for your feedback.
LanieTaj

Post by LanieTaj »

Momiji1987 wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 17:30 Very interesting review! I haven’t read a book about autism yet and I like that this author explores what it’s like to experience the world differently. You explained it well!

If you have not read this kind of subject yet, then i'll recommend this book for you to read. I hope you also consider this one.
Lg_99
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lg-99.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Terminated by Jack Gold and Marc Debbeaudt

Post by Lg_99 »

It does sound like an interesting story. Unfortunately, I do not feel like this is the book for me. Nonetheless, thank you for the insightful review.
LanieTaj

Post by LanieTaj »

Lg_99 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 15:37 It does sound like an interesting story. Unfortunately, I do not feel like this is the book for me. Nonetheless, thank you for the insightful review.
Thank you. :oops:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”