Review by Astrocelot -- Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Astrocelot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astrocelot.html
Latest Review: Book Blueprint by Jacqui Pretty

Review by Astrocelot -- Fish Wielder

Post by Astrocelot »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you’re searching for the future royalty of fantasy satire, Fish Wielder is bound to be next in line for the throne. J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison has crafted what is essentially a drunken D&D session in trilogy form, set in a world much like the Spaceballs equivalent of The Lord of the Rings. Ages before the time of our hero Thoral Mighty Fist, the world of Grome was nearly razed by the big enchilada of all evildoers, known only as the Dark Lord Mauron. In an epic collision with elf forces, Mauron was pummeled into a state of sort-of-half-death that temporarily brought peace back to the world of Grome. A thousand and two years later, an enigmatic cult straightforwardly named the Bad Religion is out to salvage what the Dark Lord Mauron had failed to make use of -- a great chocolatey Pudding of Powder to rule them all.

Not so much accepting their call to adventure as stumbling into it after too many pints of warm ale, Thoral and his companions are swept into a harrowing and ridiculous series of shenanigans in order to defeat the Bad Religion. Thoral himself is a caricature of your typical romance novel hero; a barbarian full of mystery and melodrama, endowed with Godlike physical strength, and so, so many worshipful descriptions of his long, tawny locks and rippling biceps. I mean it when I say that he’s the best version of a Fabio-Hercules hybrid. Thoral is stubborn, prideful, and the addition of being dumb as a rock sometimes just makes him cuter.

Hardison does an extraordinary job of crafting loveable characters through self-awareness and upending tropes; for instance, painting Thoral as a stammering tween boy in the face of love, describing him as looking “helpless despite his massive strength.” Essentially, he’s a big ol’ teddy bear. His best friend, known as Bradfast the walking, talking koi fish, is the universal voice of reason throughout the novel. Warlordhorse, the trusty tiger-striped steed, would also be fairly wise if anyone could parse what his whinnying and neighing meant. And the occasional flying squirrel companion, Tyncie CheeChaw Chee Chee WeeWaw, is what happens when you recruit your own children for brainstorming. Hardison’s humble Dedication towards his middle school friends and his family make ridiculous additions such as these all the more precious.

For all of the well-deserved praise I’ve given Fish Wielder so far, the writing tempted me to knock its rating down to three stars when I first picked up the book. Its straightforward, stop-and-go style might not appeal to all readers, regardless of if it’s meant to add comedic timing. Coming from someone who is picky about composition, however, it’s an enormous compliment to say that the writing technique grew on me. Nothing in the fantasy genre is sacred to Fish Wielder, and that made this book shine. Hardison blatantly pokes fun at naming conventions (my favorite is the “Grumpy Sea,” and the love interest Nalweegie, meaning “Evening Snack”), and satirizes the melodramatic style of your typical fantasy series. The pace itself is reminiscent of a children’s chapter book, but Fish Wielder has the gruesome detailing of an adult fantasy novel, so it’s good for people with goldfish-like attention spans. For instance, Elfrod’s accounts of war are nothing shy of George R. R. Martin-ish, and probably shouldn’t be read under the dinner table if you have a weak stomach. Most importantly, Hardison is a wizard at using his writing to keep his audience entertained and laughing, which earns it the full four stars from me.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Overall, if you’re a novice to the fantasy world, if you hate it, or if you love it and you’re down to watch your favorite genre get lovingly slaughtered and suffused with the rare meme, then Fish Wielder is a must-read. I’m still reeling from it, and will most definitely be picking it up again in the future. Please put this as high-priority on your bookshelves, and thank me later! Amazing job, Hardison!

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Astrocelot's review? Post a comment saying so!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Impressive review! I have read this a few weeks back, and I have enjoyed this as much as you did. I agree with the many points you made here (Nalweegie, the Evening Snack still cracks me up), even with your comment about the writing. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book in this series.
Astrocelot
Currently Reading:

Post by Astrocelot »

inaramid wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 09:12 Impressive review! I have read this a few weeks back, and I have enjoyed this as much as you did. I agree with the many points you made here (Nalweegie, the Evening Snack still cracks me up), even with your comment about the writing. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book in this series.
Thanks so much, inaramid! Warlordhorse is the name that still gets to me, but the whole explanation behind the Evening Snack is what made it a treasure. "...to look on her in twilight quells the hunger of one's heart without making one feel overfull, as can happen with a more substantial meal." I'm going to be so curious to see where Hardison takes the next few books and what new, ridiculous things he'll come up with!
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I really liked the book as well. I did feel like it took a little while for me to sort of figure out why I should care about Thoral, apart from the fact that he was the main character. It was only until maybe a third of the way through the book that it really began to grip me. After that though, the way he pulls together all the different tropes and stitches them into such a tightly wound plot really impressed me. Did you have any trouble with the beginning of the book? I think it took me a while to decide whether the writing style was comedically parodying bad fantasy, or was just plain not-great writing. Once I began trusting that the author knew what he was doing and where he was going with the story, I could finally sit back and really enjoy it.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Mekkinism wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:29Did you have any trouble with the beginning of the book? I think it took me a while to decide whether the writing style was comedically parodying bad fantasy, or was just plain not-great writing. Once I began trusting that the author knew what he was doing and where he was going with the story, I could finally sit back and really enjoy it.
This was exactly how I felt as well. If I'd read the first few pages in a bookstore, I wouldn't have bought this book, but I felt it picked up as it went along.
Astrocelot
Currently Reading:

Post by Astrocelot »

Mekkinism wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 12:29 Did you have any trouble with the beginning of the book? I think it took me a while to decide whether the writing style was comedically parodying bad fantasy, or was just plain not-great writing. Once I began trusting that the author knew what he was doing and where he was going with the story, I could finally sit back and really enjoy it.
It 100% gave me trouble, I'm completely on board with you and JudasFm. My initial thought when I cracked it open for the first time was, "Uh-oh, what did I sign up for?" It really does take you 50 or so pages to realize that the writer is self-aware and doing all of this intentionally. If you can get over a little bit of clunkiness in writing style, it definitely becomes more and more enjoyable as you go.

Thank you both for your feedback, I really appreciate you taking time to comment!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

A barbaric warrior named Thoral Mighty Fist who carries a magic sword and a talking fish named Brad who also breathes air. They try to save the world of Grome and go on the ultimate quest to find the lost Pudding of Power. Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”