Review by DathanReeves -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by DathanReeves -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by DathanReeves »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ryan and Matthew wake up on a beach with no memory besides their friendship. They are stuck on an island that wants to kill them, unnatural creatures want to eat them, and an unknown organization wants to toy with them. Will the boys recover their memory? Who is doing this to them and why? What is the secret of the island? How are they going to survive the island? How are they going to survive each other? This is Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants.

It’s difficult to review this book. The author, Caleb J. Boyer, wrote this book at the age of 12. Had I no idea, I would have guessed he was 15 or 16; his writing is advanced, but he still has a lot to learn. In fact, when reading the chapter “About the Author,” the allegory of the island is explained and I realized how much intelligent thought went into the story. However, this is not the next American novel.

The plot is simple, not poor or lazy, just simple. It starts on a beach (like all stories on an island), the protagonists explore the island, attempt to survive, get in trouble, work to fix it, repeat multiple times, have the characters learn a lesson along the way; climax and resolution. It is serviceable; young pre-teen boys can follow along.

One problem that plagues the plot is superfluous lore. As the island is explored, strange and unique elements are introduced, promising a deeper lore to discover. However, these elements exist only to move the story along and serve the book’s allegory. Most questions a reader has will not be answered in the book. If there is a sequel in the future, these questions might be answered, but if no sequel is released these bizarre moments exist to test the reader’s patience. Much like the characters.

Ryan and Matthew are the only characters in the story, and the narrative switches between both boys’ point-of-views. By the end, they are both likeable, but neither are anything special. While reading, my impression was they were interpretations of the author’s personality with mild changes. They both act 12 years old: both play football and video games, roast each other with stupid jokes, and have limited knowledge about wilderness survival. Realistic enough. Ryan is a quick thinker but impulsive, and has an immature, low-brow sense of humor. Matthew is protective but overly cautious, and has a dry, reactive sense of humor. Like the plot, preteens might like them, but adults might not.

I must dock a star off for the amateur writing and poor editing. By chapter 6 I was highlighting and noting every error in the book that bothered me. As previously mentioned, the boys act 12 years old, but we are never told how old they are and in chapter 2 we learn Ryan is 6’3 and Matthew is 6’0; either they had one massive growth spurt, or they are both very immature teens/young adults. In chapter 6, Ryan refers to himself in third person. The author uses words and phrases like “that,” “which,” “quickly,” and “were able to,” all of which, if removed, change nothing and quicken the pacing. The narrator said “he/they could not believe his/their eyes” so many times, I made a counting game out of it. Finally, there were numerous times when a character says something and the sentence continues with, “‘…’ he said as he etc.” This creates run-on sentences that can be solved by replacing “as he” with a period.

Pre-teens will probably like the book and give it praise, but I don’t recommend it for readers older than that. It was a tremendous feat to be published at such a young age, but Boyer has much more learn. I rate this book 2 out of 4. I have nothing but respect for Boyer. This book is incredibly flawed, but it’s a strong start, and not many can say they are published, let alone at 12. Boyer will go far with more practice. I wish Boyer the best and hope he keeps writing. With some time and some experience, I can see him surpassing many of the greats, but this won’t be the masterpiece he is remembered for.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DathanReeves's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Thank you for your review, I completely agree with everything you have to say here! I thought the plot was overly simplistic, I pretty much ignored the fact that the boys were 6 feet talk and continued to imagine them as kids, and this is definitely not a Young Adult book. I think this book is for younger readers, and even some young readers may not like how repetitive it is. It was an amazing accomplishment for a 12 year old to write, but I hope he learns from this experience so he writes a better 2nd book some day.

I also wrote a review of this book, so take a look and let me know what you think!
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

This is a well detailed review that will help readers decide whether to read the book or not based on their age. I think Boyer has done a good job writing at that age and your review will help him improve.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I agree with your review. The story was a young boy's imagination and the conclusion inconclusive.

I also reviewed the book, feel free to check it out.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

DathanReeves wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 16:21 [Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ryan and Matthew wake up on a beach with no memory besides their friendship. They are stuck on an island that wants to kill them, unnatural creatures want to eat them, and an unknown organization wants to toy with them. Will the boys recover their memory? Who is doing this to them and why? What is the secret of the island? How are they going to survive the island? How are they going to survive each other? This is Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DathanReeves's review? Post a comment saying so!
I guess you are right. Looks like something better suited to pre-teens. Great review, though. Pleasure reading it! :tiphat:
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
DathanReeves

Post by DathanReeves »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 11:55 Thank you for your review, I completely agree with everything you have to say here! I thought the plot was overly simplistic, I pretty much ignored the fact that the boys were 6 feet talk and continued to imagine them as kids, and this is definitely not a Young Adult book. I think this book is for younger readers, and even some young readers may not like how repetitive it is. It was an amazing accomplishment for a 12 year old to write, but I hope he learns from this experience so he writes a better 2nd book some day.

I also wrote a review of this book, so take a look and let me know what you think!
He certainly has the passion. I hope he continues this series (and maybe rereleases a better verion of this book).
DathanReeves

Post by DathanReeves »

Rosemary Okoko wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 11:03 This is a well detailed review that will help readers decide whether to read the book or not based on their age. I think Boyer has done a good job writing at that age and your review will help him improve.
I certainly hope so. My approach for my review and an author at his age was to come across as a friend giving constructive criticism.
DathanReeves

Post by DathanReeves »

Cotwani wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 13:36 I agree with your review. The story was a young boy's imagination and the conclusion inconclusive.

I also reviewed the book, feel free to check it out.
Thank you. The conclusion didn't bother me too much, myself. Mainly because I was exhausted from reading so many typos, and because of the explanation for its purpose.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really enjoyed your writing style in your review. Welcome to the site. I look forward to reading your subsequent reviews!
DathanReeves

Post by DathanReeves »

CommMayo wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 14:39 I really enjoyed your writing style in your review. Welcome to the site. I look forward to reading your subsequent reviews!
Thank you. I hope to always impress.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I really liked your review! You were definitely honest but in a very constructive way. I definitely think Boyer will go very far as a writer. Publishing at the age of 12 is definitely a huge and notable accomplishment!
DathanReeves

Post by DathanReeves »

KFree_Reads wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 21:30 I really liked your review! You were definitely honest but in a very constructive way. I definitely think Boyer will go very far as a writer. Publishing at the age of 12 is definitely a huge and notable accomplishment!
It certainly is. My main hope is as the years have passed, he has grown wiser and more skilled in writing.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

DathanReeves wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:12
KFree_Reads wrote: 24 Feb 2018, 21:30 I really liked your review! You were definitely honest but in a very constructive way. I definitely think Boyer will go very far as a writer. Publishing at the age of 12 is definitely a huge and notable accomplishment!
It certainly is. My main hope is as the years have passed, he has grown wiser and more skilled in writing.
My sentiments exactly.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”