Review by CambaReviewer -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Review by CambaReviewer -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Review of Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon, Margaret B. Hannon
Illustrated by Ann M. Hannon; Margaret B. Hannon

Children by nature are very trusting and are often not able to differentiate between similar situations or people. It is not uncommon for them to feel safe with strangers and not know when danger looms. Part of the training children get while growing up is to be able to identify similarities and detect differences. Hopefully that will lead to discernment over time. Discernment is a skill that can protect, preserve and save one from dangerous situations. Discernment can make one stay and find fun in safe environments like home. That is why they are taught early not to talk to strangers and not to wander off alone without an adult accompanying them.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe is a children’s picture book authored by Marie G. Lepkowski, Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon. Two of the authors – Ann M. Hannon & Margaret B. Hannon were also the illustrators for this book. In sixteen pages the authors, using a third person narrative, introduce us to the main character Puffy who is a cat.

Puffy is bored, as a lot of children often are, and decides to go out for a walk. The exploration leads him to meet, for the first time in his life, a “stinky” cat-like animal. The animal does not mew because it is not a cat, but a skunk. In the process of interaction, Puffy finds out that the skunk’s smell has rubbed off on him and he knows that will earn him a bath. Puffy detests being given a bath and a lot of children do too so they probably will relate to this easily.

I enjoyed reading this book. The language was simple and easy to read with the use of only a few ‘complex’ words which can help build the children’s vocabulary. In addition to the new words they learn, there are rhyming words to learn too. They are a few educative lessons on nature for children here. They learn that moles are found in holes and that skunks stink. These facts can serve as a conversation starter for teachers and caregivers to build on. It says Puffy went to look for mushroom hoods to rest “beneath” but I am not sure mushroom hoods are big enough for a cat to rest under. They could have written to rest “beside” and not “beneath”. Indeed the illustration of this line shows Puffy beside the hoods and not beneath them.

I liked the fact that some of the authors illustrated the book. The illustrations look like something children aged between two and five years could have drawn and therefore can relate to. However, I do not feel as if the illustrations are catchy enough to engage children older than five years. I liked the ending best because it teaches security in a subtle, but fun way. Puffy has had his experience and decides that playing close to home is safer. For me, the lesson may be summarized by reordering some words in the book: “Stay safe at home; don’t go out and roam”. I liked the inclusion of suggestions of how to use the book effectively, the addition of a page for children to color and the offer of a way of engaging with the authors via email.

I honestly cannot relate to the title of this book. Puffy met a skunk. I haven’t quite figured out what makes that skunk ‘a formidable foe’. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I felt the illustrations could have been made more attractive to children and the title could have been better. I recommend it for young readers, schools and families.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

This book will be a big delight to little kids learning to read and get aided by illustrations. This should be a good book for mothers to put on their list of things to buy their children. I may enjoy the humor of the book, if the other parts prove too child-like for me. Thank you for an interesting review.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

you've got the main points.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I have to admit, I'm pretty turned off by the illustration style. I feel it's not very professional at all. Maybe they should have had actual children work on the drawings, or simply employed someone who has experience illustrating.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Though I am not into dirty-doodled illustrations, your review made me admire the book, and the lessons are very helpful to both - parents and children. It's fun to read. Children will easily learn by looking at the illustrations, and by following the rhymes. Thanks for the detailed review.

Maybe the author called the skunk, "a formidable foe" due to the fact that it did not harm Puffy at all.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You've obviously never had to wash skunk of a cat or a dog with tomato juice! The stench alone is a formidable foe :shock:

For any non-Americans on this site, a skunk is about the size of a cat and it can spray a scent on you as a way to defend themselves. You can literally smell a skunk when you are a few miles or kilometers away from it.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

CommMayo, you are right. I haven't washed off a skunk's smell before. Thank goodness! Thanks for shedding more light on the formidable foe angle. Cheers!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”