Review by Misael -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Review by Misael -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Misael Carlos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games
Caleb J. Boyer
Published December 2017
228 pages
Young Adult

Two boys find themselves on a shore of an unfamiliar island, clueless on how they got there or where they are. They have a feeling someone or something is behind all that are happening to them in the strange island, playing tricks on them, testing their friendship in the process.

As the boys, without a memory of their past except their long friendship, go deeper into a jungle and wherever they are being transported to in other parts of the strange island, meeting challenge after challenge, their lives in peril each time, the more they are sure a master puppeteer is on them. It was not long before they realize that as a team they could conquer whatever challenge thrown at them. With meager provisions of food packets and bottles of water they brave the circular obstacles thrown at them, wildly curious of the relatedness of the shape. Along with the challenges are learning in life they would have not realized sooner in their ordinary existence.

I knew a story has gotten into me when I can imagine I am with the characters as they go through the adventure. With this book, I was not engaged. I kept on thinking it will get better page after page but I was disappointed. The first few chapters were lackluster, the scenes ordinary or nothing new. And the boys just kept on repeating the same mistake: jumping into situations without thinking, without caution. And this was even after they have realized everything happening in the island is part of a game set for them. Well, these impulsive behaviors could as well be attributed to their young age.

The character' personalities were clear cut from the get go and were maintained throughout the novel. What are nice about this book are the values of friendship, camaraderie, trust and positivity that it tried to impart to the readers. I, for one, know the role friends play in our lives. There was one sentence which stuck with me: "sometimes things that are actually right there in front of us are unseen." Nice one Mr. Boyer!

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I had great expectation from the author, being a bestseller. I rated this book ignoring author's age. For me, a novel's merit or demerits should be noted regardless of his or her gender, age or preferences. A great book should be a great book because it is a great book. I did not give this book a 3 because I found this one a disappointment for me. Practically every major hurdle the two encountered was really not that exciting or extraordinary. Although this could be expected from a 12-year old writer, I felt that he could do better. I did not give a 1 because for a beginner, the story was not so bad and contained no significant grammar errors.

The book has no big thrills and excitement which are usual in this genre. Well, I found it funny when one of the boys woke up with a beast breathing down on his face. At this point I wondered why the boys did not realize yet that all things happening to them were really not dangerous and not meant to kill them but to subject them to hard challenges. Obviously no one was at risk of death. There were moments of light comedic situations and the book was able to elicit some amusement from me, but then again I have read better.

For Matthew to be shocked upon seeing a key inside a chest was, to me, unrealistic. Surprised, dismayed I would understand, but to be shocked is unbelievable. Who would be shocked by a key? Unless it was a key he lost or a key with a face or something extraordinary?

Will I recommend this book to mature ones like me? I would not. This could be a cool novel for young ones probably to some 6-year-old kids and below, but would elicit yawns and boredom to 7-year old kids and above; I would not be surprised if some readers decide to discontinue reading and finishing the book. I, being the ever hopeful one, persevered until the end, hoping against hope that the adventures turn more exciting. But sadly, I was left wanting. The appearance of same kind of beasts was tiresome! Usually, whenever I buy or read a book, I would read the last few pages for me to know if ending is to my liking. It was true also with this book: I was sorely tempted to do it, especially after being curious of the presence of circular shapes in their challenges. But I held on with the thinking that the latter parts of the novel until its end might be a saving grace of the book so why not wait? I did wait and wait I should have not done.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Misael's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I completely agree with your review, and I'm glad you rated it ignoring Boyer's age. I agree that the book merits 2 stars. I feel like it might appeal to some young audiences, but it has a long way to go. The plot is definitely oversimplistic and their are no big twists to get the reader excited. Hopefully he can do a better job in his next book. If you could let me know what you think of my review of this book, I would greatly appreciate it!
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I tend to be too wordy in my reviews; your comments here summarized what I should have written instead of long discussions. Thank you for this learning!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”