Review by Momiji1987 -- The Elf Archive - Book Two of th...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Review by Momiji1987 -- The Elf Archive - Book Two of th...

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Archive by Jordan David is the second book in the Magi Charter Series. It’s been five years since Noel Night helped recruit Santa Nicholas to the North Pole. To celebrate the halfway point to Christmas, Noel and his friends have been gearing up to participate in this year’s Reindeer Games. All of the festivities are sure to be full of fun, snow, and excitement. Meanwhile, Santa has his thoughts set on marrying a Mrs. Claus, but finding the right lady is proving to be difficult. With all the excitement going on, Noel can barely sleep and has been having strange nightmares. On top of that, Noel is tasked with finding a hidden library. Long rumored to exist, no one knows where the library could be. The only one with any idea is a senile elf living in the retirement village. The more Noel learns about the mysteries of the North Pole, the more danger seems to follow. Will Noel survive his hazardous mission and figure out the meaning of his bad dreams?

This book is the sequel to David’s first novel, The Elf Brief which introduced us to Noel Night, a young elf who loves collecting books. David expands on the mythology of his world in impressive fashion with more mature writing, world building, and character development.

From the start, David delves deeper into the process of elf recruitment. I found the storytelling in these chapters fascinating and exciting to read. This aspect was only hinted at in the first book and left me wanting more, so it was great when David delivered. The concept of elf memories also gets explored and I loved getting a taste of Noel’s background. The author even tries his hand at writing from a villain’s perspective. David’s descriptions remain rich and just as well developed as his characters. He manages to juggle many different tones and storylines with balance and flourish. His action sequences are particularly well-done and written as if he actually has experience driving a flying sleigh. He so thoroughly understands how the North Pole operates, it almost makes me wonder if he’s actually Noel writing under the name “Jordan David” to fool us.

David’s writing style has also vastly improved. The first book showed the author’s raw talent, but was rife with errors. This book is much more polished, but some errors remain. He occasionally forgets a comma, a word, or uses “dessert” when he meant “desert”. Still, his writing and spelling have gotten much better since his debut.

David also gets more creative with the ending of this book, which sets up the start of the next drama in book three. The ending was delightful in its presentation and almost like the cliffhanger you’d see in some of the best scripted film and television series. I must say, all of David’s books would make great movies that I would enjoy watching. Until then, I’m going to continue reading his sequels. This book feels more legitimately “fantasy” than the first book because he included a glossary. Some of the best fantasy series of all time have glossaries, so I like that David is aiming high with his own.

When I started reading this series, I expected to like it, but I didn’t know it would hook me the way it has. I haven’t anticipated reading a teen series this much since Harry Potter. These books keep getting better and better and I feel Jordan David could be one of the most gifted young authors of his generation. He appears to eat, sleep, and breathe this series, which is all the better for those of us who read it. I rate this book a solid 4 out of 4 stars for enjoyment, creativity, and storytelling. If you know kids who love books with realistic, complex mythologies, refer them to this series. Adults who can embrace their inner child can enjoy it too, because David has an old soul and seems to understand the complexities of life. Altogether, this book is a solid improvement on its predecessor and builds impressively on the mythology introduced in the first book. I highly recommend it!

The Elf Archive - Book Two of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

I chuckled at the thought of Santa finding a Mrs. Claus. I remembered reading a comic strip where a sulking Mrs. Claus asked Santa, "You've dropped by your ex-girlfriend's house?" Santa replied: "Nothing to it, dear. It's part of the job." I opine Santa is somewhat late in his quest for Mrs. Clause if to have children is also on his agenda. Well, back to the review, thank you for your comprehensive coverage. I would read the book to find out how Santa courts the potential Mrs. Clause. Probably, not by showering her with gifts; Santa could be accused of using the gift-giving process for his personal advantage.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Roggyrus wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 09:28 I chuckled at the thought of Santa finding a Mrs. Claus. I remembered reading a comic strip where a sulking Mrs. Claus asked Santa, "You've dropped by your ex-girlfriend's house?" Santa replied: "Nothing to it, dear. It's part of the job." I opine Santa is somewhat late in his quest for Mrs. Clause if to have children is also on his agenda. Well, back to the review, thank you for your comprehensive coverage. I would read the book to find out how Santa courts the potential Mrs. Clause. Probably, not by showering her with gifts; Santa could be accused of using the gift-giving process for his personal advantage.
LOL! Wow, I never expected a comment quite like this! Thank you for the laughs and entertainment, I enjoyed reading your jokes.
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Thanks. You're welcome.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It looks very adventurous story set in North Pole. Thanks for your critical review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

You seemed to truly enjoy this book and that's the best result you can get when reading! Thanks for the review and letting us all know about this fun book :)
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 02:07 It looks very adventurous story set in North Pole. Thanks for your critical review.
Yes, it’s a really fun story! I highly recommend the series. Thanks for reading!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 11:09 You seemed to truly enjoy this book and that's the best result you can get when reading! Thanks for the review and letting us all know about this fun book :)
Thank you for reading and commenting! This is a great series. Far better than I expected when I started reading it, lol. I really like your fun avatar photo!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Momiji1987 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 19:05 Thank you for reading and commenting! This is a great series. Far better than I expected when I started reading it, lol. I really like your fun avatar photo!
Oh thank you! That was when I visited London. Super fun :)
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

The book seems to be a perfect fit for children. The story of Santa Claus also sounds compelling. Would love to recommend it to my brother.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”