Review by Sarah Tariq -- That Place of Knowledge

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- That Place of Knowledge

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Place of Knowledge is a book, that takes you to the magnificent period of ancient Greece, where learning, knowledge, philosophy, discoveries were at their apex. To your surprise, this other fiction book has been written by an autistic person, Philip Alan Shalka, whose quest for learning takes him to the Ancient Greek world. Here, Philip discovers the realistic approach towards life, in-depth knowledge, self-realization and how to achieve happiness for the fulfillment of one’s life.

That Place of Knowledge is a story of an autistic boy, Philip; who never allows his disability to hinder his curiosity for learning. His service dog, Sabre, is his best companion. Sabre remains with Philip, during his knowledge adventure to Greece, and to meet Aristotle, the Ancient Greek philosopher. Each time, Philip jumps into the pool along with Sabre to enter the knowledge world of Greece. The interesting and thought-provoking conversation with Aristotle explores new avenues of learning and thinking for Philip. However, the interesting thing is the “corridors of knowledge.”Philip and Sabre enter different corridors, where people were busy in acquiring knowledge of diverse fields.

Though the story is mainly told from Sabre’s point of view, the knowledge-driven adventure of the author of this imaginary world is a unique idea. The author (Philip) shows his great love for knowledge and learning and tries to find their connection with happiness.

Indeed, it was Greece which illuminated the antique world with learning, knowledge, and innovation. Later on, the Muslim empires further strengthened the foundation of knowledge in different fields. Today’s world is owed to these magnificent empires for their advancement in science and technology. Through this book, the author tries to inculcate the importance of learning, which is fading away with every passing day, as at one place he says, “…you see, the real world is quite different now, Aristotle. People just aren’t as motivated to learn. Most of the people have no curiosity. They just live in their routines.”

This 26-page book has an engaging narrative, and vividly presents the thoughts and feelings of characters. Philip Alan Shalka’s curiosity for learning makes him an extraordinary person, who can go an extra mile to achieve his ambitions. Moreover, it is an all-out motivational book for learning. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I could not find anything negative in it. Especially, when an author is an autistic person; it is an exceptional achievement not only for him but for many other autistic and normal people.

The book is professionally edited, and I couldn’t find any typos. The Theme of this book contains the motivational lessons for learning, gaining knowledge through experience, persistence, search for happiness and self-realization. So owing to these positive and constructive thoughts, I would rate this lighthearted book 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to all knowledge-seekers, who want the motivated spirit to reach the echelons of glory.

That Place of Knowledge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Yet another successful book told from the vantage point of a dog! I'm glad you enjoyed this book so thoroughly!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 11:58 Yet another successful book told from the vantage point of a dog! I'm glad you enjoyed this book so thoroughly!
Thank you so much for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Hildah Mose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hildah-mose.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Hildah Mose »

I should get this book. Just by reading your awesome review, I am motivated to read. Thanks for the review
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Hildah Mose wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 00:05 I should get this book. Just by reading your awesome review, I am motivated to read. Thanks for the review
Yes, it's really an interesting book. Thanks for passing by.

📕📖📰📓📕
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Well, it is the year of the 🐕. We had Shelbee the other day on BOTD. We have DJ in the current BOTM. And now, Sabre is back!

Philip, by writing this book, manages to impart many powerful messages.

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." This quote from Henry Ford might as well have come from Philip.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Miriam Molina wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 06:50 Well, it is the year of the 🐕. We had Shelbee the other day on BOTD. We have DJ in the current BOTM. And now, Sabre is back!

Philip, by writing this book, manages to impart many powerful messages.

"Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're right." This quote from Henry Ford might as well have come from Philip.
Yes, Miriam dog has become very important among all animals ☺. This book is full of lessons about learning and innovation. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

That Place of Knowledge is a story of an autistic boy, Philip; who never allows his disability to hinder his curiosity for learning. His service dog, Sabre, is his best companion. Sabre remains with Philip, during his knowledge adventure to Greece, and to meet Aristotle, the Ancient Greek philosopher. Each time, Philip jumps into the pool along with Sabre to enter the knowledge world of Greece. The interesting and thought-provoking conversation with Aristotle explores new avenues of learning and thinking for Philip. However, the interesting thing is the “corridors of knowledge.”Philip and Sabre enter different corridors, where people were busy in acquiring knowledge of diverse fields.
I hail the ability of this autistic author to write a book. Telling his story in his dog's point of view is impressive enough. I am not autistic, but I have not written even a page of my own book. That made me think, he is an extraordinary special person.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Dolor wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 18:20
I hail the ability of this autistic author to write a book. Telling his story in his dog's point of view is impressive enough. I am not autistic, but I have not written even a page of my own book. That made me think, he is an extraordinary special person.
Yes, he is really extraordinary. Thanks for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

This book sounds so unique and interesting. I love the idea of talking to ancient philosophers! That would be fun. I enjoyed your review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Momiji1987 wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 19:12 This book sounds so unique and interesting. I love the idea of talking to ancient philosophers! That would be fun. I enjoyed your review!
Thanks fo stopping by, Momiji.

📕📖📰📓📕
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

A book where one can't find any typos is so rare these days. I am glad you got to read one such book. Thank you for the wonderful review! :)
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Samy Lax wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 01:41 A book where one can't find any typos is so rare these days. I am glad you got to read one such book. Thank you for the wonderful review! :)
Yeah, this short book is free from typos☺. Thanks you so much for your feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I have a nephew who is autistic, so this novel hits close to home for me. Ironic then I guess that I haven't actually read the book. It definitely sounds worth a try. Thanks for your review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Then you should read this book, and you can give this book to your nephew as a gift☺. Thanks for your reply.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”