Review by Mautia -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mautia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mautia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by Mautia -- My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by Mautia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[Following is a review of "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor. ]

One of the greatest satisfaction is discovering oneself and purpose in life. The sole reason behind one's existence. This is clearly illustrated in the book My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor. John; a transgender teen who later on becomes Joyce, defies all odds and transforms into a woman she has always been as quoted in "only you happened to be born into the wrong body."

As a kid, John knew he was different from the rest. He was bullied in school and barely had any friends. He preferred helping out in the kitchen rather than engaging in sports, which pissed off his father. He would cringe in horror when he saw his reflection in the mirror as his outward appearance disgusted him. Unlike the rest, he never quite felt the sense of belonging in the community.

The introduction of the character Aureus becomes the game changer in his life. With her witty, positive, vibrant and stubborn nature, she manages to get John out of his cocoon. Her unconditional love, understanding and support encouraged him to seek help. This resulted into him becoming more happier, confident and outgoing. Letting go of the old self and embracing his real identity made life more fulfilling.

The book consists of 32 chapters. The chapters are written in a systematic order hence the flow of events is well captured. I find it fascinating that the author brings to the table an issue that is hardly discussed yet affects some of the people. This therefore opens door to having this conversation more often. What the society would otherwise deem inappropriate or unrealistic. It was not until John was able to break free into his real self that he became happy and content.

Family and friends play a key role in the life of John. It is with the unweaving support of characters such as Aureus and Devon that contribute to his wellbeing and wholeness. The ideal support system that people going through such struggles need. Instead of condemning him and being judgemental, they resolved into being part of the solution. Devon carries out his brotherly role by always protecting John and being at his beck and call all the time. Aureus on the other hand sticks by his side in whatever decision he undertakes.

I would rate this book, four out of four stars (4 out of 4). This is because Magus Tor's narration of this romantic story is unique and heartfelt. Totally different from the typical love stories we come across every now and then. The author has gently presented this piece of work in a simple, elaborate and clear manner which is highly commendable. However, I feel that the ending of the story was rushed hence crushing my expectation of a more detailed ending. My curiosity was sustained till the end and would therefore not mind rereading the novel over and over again.

I would recommend this book more so to teenagers seeking to find their path in life, to everyone who is thrilled by love stories and anyone suffering from a self identity crisis. Excellent is an understatement in describing this wonderful book.

My Ladybird Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Mautia's review? Post a comment saying so!
emmaav88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaav88.html
Latest Review: My Ladybird Story by Magus Tor

Post by emmaav88 »

I think you really nailed your description of Aureus! She is definitely a game changer in the book and I believe the author of the story really shone a light on how important friends and family are when you are trying to find yourself. If I was ever going through a soul searching stage of my life, I would definitely like Aureus or even Devon by my side. I also reviewed this book but I found that the beginning of the story was a bit drawn out. I do agree that it ended rather quickly and that was why I gave the story a 3 out of 4 stars.
Your review was very enjoyable to read.
Thanks Emma
Mautia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mautia.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Mautia »

Thank you Emma

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”