Review by uyky -- Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Review by uyky -- Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by uyky »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. Hardison (Jim Hardison) starts as an innocent story about four teenagers, Bing, Ron, Kaitlyn, and Meat, being what they are supposed to be: the teenagers. However, what starts as a night of not studying and procrastination, ends with them trying to save the world from ultimate evil, the golfers club. Through a lot of lightning, raining and corridors, we follow our four characters as they clash their mostly human powers with an evil talking dagger, the members of different cults, toothy monsters, magic and, what else, their wicked history teacher.

I have to admit that I wasn't sure at times if I am reading young adult adventure fantasy book or something that is not sure if it wants to be a parody or not. For a parody, it had too little of that humor I would expect from it. For a young adult adventure book, too many ridiculous situations. At times the book had some resemblance to Terry Pratchett's books, and sometimes it reminded me of Eoin Colfer's. At other parts it just made me cringe.

The book had no character development. What started as a really good introduction of twins, Ron and Bing, and their personalities, lost its appeal very quickly with no backstory. One of the main characters was a girl. All you knew about her, was that she loved to shower and was apparently very smart. Because the author has stated it at the start of his book. He did try to make it into an ongoing joke, which I would appreciate in a parody, but in this book, it seemed just like plain laziness. I would have much rather saw some personality. On the opposite, there was some humor in writing some of the other characters. Like the dagger with a personality of a spoiled villain.

The plot had some holes in it but was essentially interesting. It had some scenes in the middle of the story that went on for an extreme amount of time, but when those ended it ran smoothly right to the end. It was an easy read, however, without any depth.

The editing was terrible. The book had random letters and symbols inserted throughout the pages and the font size changed as it pleased.

I think that Demon Freaks is a book with a lot of potential and I am sorry to see how much of it was wasted. I rate it 2 out of 4 stars. It was a pleasant read to relax to while resting my brains. I would recommend it to a younger audience, 10-year-olds to 15-year-olds. However, beware, because it does have some explicit bloody fighting scenes.

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like uyky's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

I’ve just finished this and had much the same feelings about it. However, the version that I read didn’t have random letters and symbols or font changes. Perhaps this is specific to the device or format of download?
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
uyky

Post by uyky »

Helen_Combe wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 17:31 I’ve just finished this and had much the same feelings about it. However, the version that I read didn’t have random letters and symbols or font changes. Perhaps this is specific to the device or format of download?
Thank you for stopping by. I loved the other book from this writer called Fish wielder. That one I found hilarious. It is a parody. If you want to know more, I did review it. I never googled random letters problem, but I do think it depends on format or e-reader. I have a Kobo reader and it did happen to me before. However, I don't think that should be an excuse. It should read flawlessly on any app or reader in any format.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Whoa... I didn't see this very candid review coming. But, not a problem, I don't care for horror.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
uyky

Post by uyky »

ValBookReviews wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 22:09 Whoa... I didn't see this very candid review coming. But, not a problem, I don't care for horror.
Thank you for reading it. I do think the book would be good for the younger audience. So no horror here :)
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

I read Fish Wielder by Hardison and enjoyed it. I felt some of the writing was lazy, and other elements of that book didn't work like I think Hardison believed they did. I'm sorry to hear this book isn't that great. I saw this one after I'd read Fish Wielder and hoped to read it at some point, but I think I'll be steering clear of Demon Freaks. I hope Hardison either hires an editor, or hires a better editor (if he doesn't have an editor), because I think his writing has great potential. He just needs some major polishing.
“Don’t adventures ever have an end? I suppose not. Someone else always has to carry on the story.”
-Bilbo Baggins
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

I can see the potential of the book from your summary. Sorry to see that it disappointed. Your review faintly reminds me of The Rules by Nancy Holder. I felt the same about that book. However it lacks the fantasy elements in this book, and leans more on suspense to generate horror.
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

uyky wrote: 22 Apr 2018, 12:41
ValBookReviews wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 22:09 Whoa... I didn't see this very candid review coming. But, not a problem, I don't care for horror.
Thank you for reading it. I do think the book would be good for the younger audience. So no horror here :)
No worries. I did, however, recently read the free sample as the "book to the day" and do not care for it. ;)
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”