Review by Ma Cheryll -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ma Cheryll
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-cheryll.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Review by Ma Cheryll -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by Ma Cheryll »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

FROM DRIFT TO SHIFT How Change Can Bring True Meaning and Happiness to Your Work and Life is an inspirational book written by Jody B. Miller. This Book contains an interesting collection of life stories of men and women who, in one time or another, struggled in their individual lives. These men and women allowed themselves to go along with life’s flow, drift along, as they say, until they come across some divine intervention, a person, a Life experience or an Event, something we can consider a, sort of, Holy disruption, that brought change in their hearts and minds, leading them to make a shift!

Accepting this opportunity to do a Review, I just can’t help but get excited as I had a first glance of this Book. Being a Life Coach myself in our local Church, I love to see people’s lives change for the better! I am, most of all, delighted to see how these people emerged from their deep dark life situations, not only to survive, but, more so, to thrive as they continue to live their lives to the full! To top it all, this Book not only tells us the Story of one person, but rather, it speaks about the Life stories of eight (8) amazing people, who never met each other, Author Jody is their only link, but their lives somehow have significant similarities in the struggles and in the challenges they faced with their parents and families, experiences of childhood traumas, depressions, some are even life-threatening. But we can also see that these individuals are high achievers and that they have sought spiritual direction too. Lastly, we saw them changed their careers more than twice, for the better. Author Jody wanted her readers to see that we are all alike at some point and she hopes that we, the readers, would relate to these stories as our own life experiences and encounter a shift ourselves as we read this Book.

Having a Spread of 183 Pages, covering the Main Story Line, this Book has Four (4) Parts divided into Eight (8) Chapters, with every page filled with the wonderful stories of these amazing individuals, which causes us to indulge in reading, turning page after page with much excitement! This Book answers certain questions pertaining to shifting. Questions like Why, When, How and the Now What. Readers will see that shift happens even to those who were considered less fortunate, those growing outside the comfort of their biological homes, like Serita and Reid who shifted and saw the purpose and meaning in their lives and in their work and now they’ve Co-Founded iFoster which helps foster children achieve their full potential. Against all odds, cancer Survivor Emilee found an opportunity to shift, make that favorable change, and now she considers herself not only a Survivor but someone who thrives in life. The need to shift so as not to be extinct, came to even the simplest group of people of the Amazon Achuar Tribe, this is also one of the instances where Author Jody B. Miller experienced a shift herself. The answers to the questions When and How to shift were illustrated by the life stories of these individuals who underwent life-threatening challenges but still, through faith and strength of heart, desired to have their way out of their situations and now are living a life of joy and passion with a sense of fulfillment that goes beyond what money, power and status can give.

Potential Readers would be ranging from the Young Adults ages 18-34, the so-called Millennials, and so with those from Generation X, ages 35-50, up to our age group, ages 51-69, the Baby Boomers. The Millennials come first in line because this is the age when people start thinking about their future, what they really want to do in life and their careers! I myself had my first shift during that time in my life when I was in this age, and I am so grateful that it happened when I needed it most. Its best to start off knowing what you want most in this life and to start gearing your way towards that direction at a very early age. The same goes with Generation X, as what readers will see in this Book, some of our Main Characters belong to this age group when they shifted. Last, but not the least, comes the Baby Boomers, which I have included as well. Belonging to this age group now, I still believe that we are still capable to make that favorable change, a shift, in our lives! As I was reading every chapter of this Book, it’s as if the eyes of my heart are being opened ones again, to the point that, in writing this Review, I strongly believe I have made that initial step towards the shift that I need now that I am 52 years of age. This is why I urge all of you, young adults and adults alike, to read this Book and be inspired in such a way that you yourself would find your own purpose and live a life full of meaning and joy!

As to errors in grammar, I would like to say that there is none! No errors at all, the whole Book was written beautifully and I believe it went through very strict Proof Reading! A big Congratulations! to the Author Jody B. Miller, for this wonderful Book that she has blessed us with!

I rate this Book a 4 out of 4 stars! I gave it this rating because I truly admire every story incorporated in this Book, I enjoyed reading every page with its highs and lows. I appreciate the way it was written with perfection and that it caters to a large group of readers, from the Millennials all the way to those belonging to the Generation X and even the Baby Boomers, meaning from 18-69 years of age and even more!

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ma Cheryll's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It's nice that as a life coach, this book could help you in your line of work. Your list of recommendations is fantastic. Nice review.
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Thanks @kdstrack! :tiphat: Thank you for taking time to read my Review :D Blessings to you as well!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. Very thoughtful. I really liked the idea of a book that would inspire people to move beyond a stuck, or drifting, place in their lives. It felt to me like that would be really helpful to many people. I didn't feel like the author did what she set out to do. I did not think disfiguring accidents, corporate destruction of an Amazon forest, or the attachment trauma from a childhood in foster care, constituted a need to "shift" out of anything. This was a major sticking point for me. It seemed like the author was not sure about her stated theme. I agree some of the stories were inspiring and would help some people see some ways to navigate difficult circumstances. The stories didn't match the theme for me. Thanks again for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Wow :o Thanks @Eva Darrington for this very vivid observation :techie-studyinggray: Seems to me like you not only took time to read my Review but, even more so, you really spent time reading the Book yourself and got inspired by these True to Life stories, seeing how their previous, unfortunate lives were instrumental for them to aspire to make a favorable change, a shift, and started to live meaningful, purposeful lives! Again, i’d like to say thank you so much Eva! :tiphat: Blessings to you as well!
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

That looks like an inspirational story. I also like spiritual books and this book fits the description. You wrote a good review. Keep it up.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Thanks for your comment @Sunnyroyish! Best Regards to you as well!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your insightful and enlightening review. Each one of us goes through a turning point in our lives where we have to make a decision on what we've got to do next. Your role as a life coach is a crucial one especially to those who have anchored their paths on your guidance and example. With your positive outlook and approach, I think they'd be in a good stead. I've also got reasons to believe that the very same sterling qualities gleanable from you are the same ones you've found from the protagonists of the book. The even better thing is when you've mentioned that the piece is well-written and without a flaw.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Thank you @Espie for taking time to read my review of the book From Drift to Shift and leaving this wonderful comment, i am so humbled by your kind words. What you said is true, being a Life Coach is such a big responsibility and it is only by God’s enabling grace that i am standing here now. Thanking God and giving Him praise for every blessed opportunity that comes my way🙏Again, thank you :tiphat: and have a wonderful day ahead! Best regards! God bless you more!
Camille Turner
Currently Reading: Angela's Ashes
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camille-turner.html
Latest Review: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin: The Sedes Infernum by C.S. Colvin

Post by Camille Turner »

Thanks for a great review! I especially like how you break up readers by generation and talk about why the book would appeal to each of the age groups. Well done!
Stefanie9280
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stefanie9280.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Stefanie9280 »

Very well done review. It sounds like a very inspiring book. Based on your review I would be interested in reading it. I like the idea of reading different people's life shifts, as you put it, even though they never meet. It's a loving reminder when you see similar struggles in peoples lives. Just goes to show everyone struggles and you are not alone
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Camille Turner wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 09:00 Thanks for a great review! I especially like how you break up readers by generation and talk about why the book would appeal to each of the age groups. Well done!
Thank you :tiphat: @Camille Turner for taking time to read my review and for leaving this wonderful comment♥️I guess I really was so inspired upon reading this book, that I became aware of its “would-be” positive effect on each of our different age groups😍 again, I would like to say thank you Camille and may God bless your Book Review Projects as well!
Ma Cheryll

Post by Ma Cheryll »

Stefanie9280 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 11:17 Very well done review. It sounds like a very inspiring book. Based on your review I would be interested in reading it. I like the idea of reading different people's life shifts, as you put it, even though they never meet. It's a loving reminder when you see similar struggles in peoples lives. Just goes to show everyone struggles and you are not alone
Thank you @Stefanie9280 :tiphat: yes it is a very inspiring book and I know that you’d love reading it too👍Aside from seeing similar struggles in people’s lives and knowing that you are not alone in your struggles, readers will also see the truth that there is a Supreme Being, God Himself who is always watching over us and is very much willing to help us, only if we’d ask Him to. He is our very present help in times of need🙏 Thank you so much again for reading and commenting📚God bless you more🙌
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I am interested in the life stories of people changing for the best. I like that no matter what age we are, we can still change for the better. I may have to take a look at this book. I like the title of the book since it describes that we tend to just drift in life unless we change or make a shift to taking charge of our life's direction and purpose.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

I love your review. I don't normally read inspirational/ spiritual books, but your enthusiasm for this book has rubbed off on me. I like the way in which you have described the book as being split up and the true-life stories within the book. Will add this one to my list to read

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”