Review by Kinkini -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Review by Kinkini -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Kinkini »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story begins with Matthew and Ryan being washed ashore on a mysterious island. Now, these seemingly ‘friends’, with a certain dislike for each other, are forced to stick together with no memory of their past life, utter confusion, and very little help. Moving in and out of dreams, the two friends begin a journey of survival.

Author Caleb J. Boyer, through his adventure novel, pitches the reader into a live, fast-paced action and adventure sequence filled with thrilling experiences. The intense descriptions leave a lot to the imagination of the reader. I could practically feel being part of a computer game, which has rewards in terms of food and water after each accomplishment. The volcano remains a constant determinant of the location of the game. In addition, it was not difficult to figure out the reason behind Reggie’s call after, or rather, before each adventure.

The two boys have very different characters, yet they are thrown together into hurdles for a cause. The challenges they face externally also has a deep impact on their personalities. It makes the purpose of the game quite clear. Each of the four quadrants offers a new set of adventures for the boys. While fighting the challenges flung at them, the boys learn to strike a balance between their strengths and weaknesses. They cover for each other and mature with every adventure.

The Island Games is completely metaphorical and reflects the daily struggles of our lives. Throughout the story, the author emphasizes on the true meaning of togetherness, teamwork, and building relationships through trust. The visualizations and feelings woven into the story are that of extreme innocence.

Although it is an action-adventure story, the characters do not stop only at that. There is progress in their own personalities. Despite the progress, the characters are either white or black. They lack the shades of realism. I felt a certain amount of boredom during the read. The feeling was triggered by the naivetés in the portrayal and development of the plot and characters. The similar kind of challenges at each quadrant, the repetitive attack of the same beasts, and the description of the scenes had something lacking.

Of course, a fiction could not be expected to be realistic, yet the feeling was of rawness, perhaps the work of an immature writer. The awkward phrases, the under-developed action sequences, the teen banter, perhaps required more polish. It is only after completing the novel that I read about the author and his age. At the age of 12, the kind of story the author has brought to us is in itself a highly commendable job. After knowing his age, I simply changed my perspective. Coming from a 12-year old, of course, the world is either black or white. The story shows how innocent thoughts and actions could be so inspiring. How the young can motivate the adults and offer such life-altering lessons so eloquently.

While reading the book, I felt the excitement in the tone of the narrator. It reflected the freshness of a young mind. The dreams of the white room were highly suggestive, perhaps the job of the Omnipresent. It could easily be a topic of discussion, as it is the only hint of the motive behind the whole adventure. The unknown missions, the goals, the achievements left me frustrated, confused, and to an extent inquisitive. The author left the story loose-ended. Perhaps that is what he intended.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Editors could perhaps work on the punctuation and grammar, and alter a few hasty scenes. The book is indeed exciting, a perfect steal for young readers. If you love action, thrill, and of course, computer games, then Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants is the book that you must read.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kinkini's review? Post a comment saying so!
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Thank you for sharing your perspective on this book! I agree that this is definitely targeted for young readers. On Amazon it says it is young adult, but it reads more like middle grade fiction to me. Did the ending bother you at all with it's vagueness?

I also read and reviewed this book, if you could take a look at mine and leave me a comment I would appreciate it!!
Kinkini
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinkini.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by Kinkini »

Hi there,

Yes, there was a great deal of vagueness throughout the book. I chose to ignore them later when I saw the age of the writer. However, as a book, this is definitely for middle graders. Although, young adults might want to take a look if computer games are on their list of interest.
Regards,
Kinkini
A Bookworm

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”