Review by EWatson02 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EWatson02
Currently Reading: The Black Swan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ewatson02.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Review by EWatson02 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by EWatson02 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants by Caleb Boyer is the story, quite literally, of the power of friendship. It features two teenage best friends, Matthew and Ryan, who wake up on a mysterious deserted island for no reason and with no memory of how they got there. As they try to figure out how to survive, it becomes clear that this is far from an ordinary island. The boys must use their skills, wit, and each other to overcome a multitude of increasingly difficult, and increasingly strange, challenges.

Before I begin this review in earnest, I must offer a confession: when I first began to read this book, I was completely unaware that the author was twelve years old. As such, my progress notes for the earlier chapters must have seemed very harsh indeed, as there was a lot that I thought the author could improve upon. Now that I know that I am dealing with a younger writer, I have shifted my focus not just toward improvement (though of course there’s always room for that), but toward helping nurture and encourage this author’s love of writing. My taking a figurative red pen and scribbling harsh critique all over the place would not be the best approach, as much of what I could critique will likely resolve itself over time, as the author becomes more experienced.

With this in mind, I am going to start with what I did not like about the book, and end with what I did.

One thing I did not like is that there was a bit of needless repetition. A paragraph would explain something—namely, that Matthew had spotted something in the distance—and then a sentence or two later Matthew would say “hey, I’ve spotted something in the distance,” repeating what had been explained in the narration almost word-for-word. This is something that I think would be improved if the author used a beta reader, someone who goes through the entire book with a fine-toothed comb and suggests clarification, correction, and basic editing, as well as offering advice on how to improve a weak narrative.
This idea of eliminating too much repetition will help create more tension in the writing and encourage the reader to want to find out more. Suspense is a very difficult thing to get right, but once you do, it will be very satisfying for both you and your readers.

The other thing I would encourage the author to do is to try and avoid clichés. Slapping someone out of a “trance,” for example, is something that may weaken the writing a bit if just because it’s too predictable. You don’t have to banish these from your writing altogether—rules are made to be broken, after all—but it might be worthwhile to try something new.

As for what I did like about the book, something that surprised me as I was reading was that I felt a distinct sense of nostalgia. Island Games is the kind of adventure story that I would have loved as a child, and I couldn't help but be reminded of the game show Legends of the Hidden Temple. The author has a very vivid imagination, and the scenes I pictured in my mind were rich and detailed. The writing is also accessible and simple to read, without being bogged down in lengthy descriptions.

Another thing I thought the author did well was to give the reader a sense of the sort of basic discomforts that the characters felt throughout the book. Going without predictable food and water is exhausting. Large, inhospitable areas of land make any journey across them seem endless, and make landmarks seem closer than they actually are. If you don’t have access to baths or showers for a few days, you start to smell. These are things that seem obvious to us, but when outlined in a story, they make the writing that much richer.

Overall, Island Games was fun to read, and I want the author to keep writing. The more experience he gains, the better he will be, and I look forward to seeing what the future brings. For this reason, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EWatson02's review? Post a comment saying so!
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

A very constructive review. I think this will help the author develop his craft and become a better novelist. A lot of grown-up writers struggle to even finish a novel, so this 12-year-old has got them beat.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I had the pleasure of reading this book as it came free with BOTD. I gave it 4 stars because I thought it was a great match for the target audience. The island game follows the concept of computer games where rewards pop out of slain foes or obstacles cleared and mysterious keys are released.

I think this kid is brilliant. At twelve, I could barely write a decent essay for my English class.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Thank you for the review! I also reviewed this story, and I agree with a lot you had to say here. I also found the repetition was ever present and got really annoying, but it's an amazing accomplishment for a 12 year old. I hope he learns from this to become a better writer!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I read this book and felt challenged. A twelve-year-old writing a book? This is no mean feat. I had similar feelings but when I saw the description of the author, I was just amazed. This is a book that I read and rated it with all the 4 out of 4 stars. Though I didn't review it since it was provided free as the Book of the Day.
Thanks for your insightful review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I definitely agree with you on the repetition issue. I noticed it as well and it happened quite a few times. Nonetheless, I gave the same rating because the author did a pretty decent job considering he was just twelve when he wrote the book and it was his very first! He definitely has vivid imagination.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”