Review by kdstrack -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

This is a children’s book written and illustrated by Len Foley. The recommended age range for this book is 3-7 years old.

The first thing you note about this book is the alliteration in the title. The repetition of the same consonant gives the title a melodic sound. It almost makes you want to sing the title like an opera song!

The author then begins the story by mentioning a litany of foods that have stuck to the pages of the book, making the book smelly. He also includes other “accidents” that have contributed to the odors emanating from the pages. In this part of the book, the smells are directly in the book.

The story then moves on to another smell that comes from a different location. There is a horrible odor emanating from under the bed. That is where all the dirty socks have been accumulating. The author presents a unique smell for each sock. This section presents a wonderful chance for children to learn or review colors as there are no two socks of the same color. This part of the book would also lend itself to counting as the child could count how many different colors of socks Sigfried had thrown under the bed.

After the discovery of the socks under the bed, Sigfried proceeds to resolve the smelly situation by washing the socks. This was my least favorite part of the book. I thought Sigfried could have been shown how to throw his dirty socks into a laundry basket and then watch the socks going around in the washing machine. Will any of the children reading this book imitate Sigfried’s method of washing?

I also struggled with the cadence of the sentences. The author does rhyme the phrases but does not follow a uniform metre throughout. The uneven metre affects the rhythm of the reading.

The author does an excellent job of using colors throughout the book. Several pages feature a blue or lilac background. The socks also have bright, bold colors. The pictures of the food are all real, but the people are portrayed as cartoon drawings.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The variance in the metre and the ending kept me from giving it a higher score. This book would be well received by parents, teachers, babysitters, librarians, and small children. It is a humorous way to teach a simple lesson about cleanliness and avoiding smells in the house and under the bed.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Thanks for your lovely nice, critical review. Really , it's a funny book and children would enjoy to read it.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 02:25 Thanks for your lovely nice, critical review. Really , it's a funny book and children would enjoy to read it.
It made me laugh - except for the ending!!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I love reading all of the different reactions to this book. I think it would be so hard to write a review for a children's book. You did it justice!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I also found the ending a bit odd for a children's book. Not the best lesson to teach impressionable, young children, is it?
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

inaramid wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 08:19 I also found the ending a bit odd for a children's book. Not the best lesson to teach impressionable, young children, is it?
It used to be that parents looked for missing socks in the dryer - but now???
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 13:35 I love reading all of the different reactions to this book. I think it would be so hard to write a review for a children's book. You did it justice!
Thanks.
Mtsweni Nelsy
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsweni-nelsy.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Mtsweni Nelsy »

I haven't read the book yet, but my 5-year-old niece would use with having the book read to her! Thanks for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Mtsweni Nelsy wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 03:49 I haven't read the book yet, but my 5-year-old niece would use with having the book read to her! Thanks for the review.
Your niece is just the right age to get maximum enjoyment from this book. Hope she likes it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”