Review by libranliterati -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by libranliterati -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Irene C »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday by Samyann is a contemporary novel featuring time travel between the present day and the mid-19th century. The blend of current reality and flashbacks both intentional and otherwise builds the novel’s theme of the endurance of love through time and the trials of life. Yesterday is the story of Amanda Parker, a young woman who has endured the tragic loss of most of her loved ones, falling in love with Mark Callahan, the cop whose life she saves when they meet. Anxious over the idea of losing him too, she seeks to discover how she feels like she knows him, which leads her to explore her past life. To do this, she undergoes regression sessions under the direction of her aunt and godmother, a psychotherapist.

The idea of past lives opens up the historical dimension of the novel, a plot centered on the journey of Amanda’s past self, a South Carolina plantation owner’s daughter sent north for protection during the American Civil War. The young girl, she discovers, also endured the losses of loved ones and other traumas, before, during, and after her journey. Her anxieties may have deep roots. The flashback scenes that the reader experiences as Amanda “regresses” into her past life as Bonnie are vivid, and seem historically accurate in their details. I thought they were very well handled and natural, flowing well with the rest of the narrative.

There is a fair amount of nicely-described action in the present-day parts of the plot, especially the sections focused on Mark’s role as a cop. The metaphors in these scenes were imaginative. But the edges of the regression scenes are very character discussion-heavy, and their main activity consists of the characters asking each other for, making, or pouring caffeinated or alcoholic beverages. I certainly do not mind mention of them in novels, but it was noticeable how much of the characters’ actions in these talky scenes involved keeping their hands busy with these drinks. On the one hand, this sort of action gave the novel a nice balance of homeyness, a comfortable cafe atmosphere. On the other, it was rather repetitive.

I also was rather unsure about how the novel handled the issue of race. There are two black characters who are somewhat two-dimensional, and given the parts of the novel set in Civil War-era South Carolina, that was noticeable. Their role in the flashbacks ends suddenly as well, and while Amanda goes give them some thought, the narrative quickly moves on. No mention is made of how the book’s theme of enduring love and reincarnation might have applied to them.

Based on the wonderful descriptions and nicely-done structure of the novel, as well as a lack of typos, I give Yesterday 4 out of 4 stars. It would appeal to fans of historical fiction and contemporary chick lit. The issues I had were minor, barely distracting from an inventive concept that was fleshed out into an enjoyable read for a long afternoon.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like libranliterati's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's a beautiful time travel novel. Switching between present and past life is amazing. Thanks for your nice review. I have also reviewed this book. You can check out it.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

This book about reincarnation and the romance generated by the quest for discernment of the past connections of the main characters really makes for a great reading. It is relatable to most of us, as perhaps, we could already find some inkling about the possibility of the belief regards reincarnation, so commonly embraced by believers of Oriental religions. Thanks for sharing your review.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I enjoyed reading your review. I like how you give your recommendations for what kind of reader would like this novel. Other reviews haven't mentioned the chick lit aspect of it at all.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Nice review. The historical sections of the story are very interesting. I enjoyed your comments about how beverages and drinks were involved in the conversation scenes. Nice job.
Ruth Emmanuel
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-emmanuel.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ruth Emmanuel »

Hey!
Am new here and currently reading the same book, just wanted to say i love your review and how you followed the guidelines.
Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”