Review by Roggyrus -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Roggyrus
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Review by Roggyrus -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Roggyrus » 09 Feb 2018, 07:01

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever experienced that inexplicable feeling of familiarity towards a person, place, or thing that you have encountered for the first time? Psychology has a term for it: déjà vu. Believers in reincarnation explain this as mainly due to the recall of a memory from a previous life. Yes, you heard correctly. You have existed before as another person, in another place, and in another time.

The book Yesterday by Samyann dwells on this subject: reincarnation or transmigration, as alternately called. It narrates how the present-day life of Amanda Parker, being replete with incidents of déjà vu, got unraveled, with the help of her aunt, Mary. Mary Axelrod, a psychologist by profession, hypnotically regressed Amanda to relive certain years of her past life in an attempt to establish her prior connection to Mark Patrick Callahan, a mounted policeman of the Chicago Police Department, whom she happened to save from certain death during a train accident. Amanda and Mark mutually felt déjà vu for each other, as well as for an antique grandfather clock, and for the clock’s chiming. Perhaps it was just as a token of gratitude that Mark began caring for Amanda after that incident, but eventually they got romantically linked. Amanda has something to gain from this. The propensity of Mark for research on the internet proved invaluable for the discovering of more relevant facts. Would regressing Mark finally reveal how he figured in Amanda’s past life?

Samyann did well in piecing together the various elements of the story. Presumably, intensive research came into play in assigning the events to their proper chronology, and in establishing the historicity of the places and personages involved. It becomes more interesting as the author developed the narrative against the backdrop of the American Civil War, the Chicago Fire, and even straying to places of interest like the St Michael’s Church, or the Lincoln Park and the cemetery therein.

Among other things, I noted the added effort of the story to make the readers experience the local flavor of the era by providing tidbits of information, no matter how these may appear innocuous to the whole theme. For instance, the dessert, fed to the Confederate soldiers known as “Idiot’s Delight” was mentioned with the corresponding recipe. How to make the Confederate Candle was likewise elaborated. Then thoughtfulness of Samyann indubitably showed when at the close of the story, notes were provided to further enlighten the reader regarding some aspects which might sound baffling. A case in point is the reference to streets which are ablaze or on fire. This is the case with Chicago’s Gold Coast Wooden Alley that burned during the fire because it was paved with wood blocks and covered with tar.

Reincarnation as a concept may have been by now accepted by many Westerners. Then, this book, having such as its subject matter, could just be apt and timely. In fact, there had been other interesting books on this subject, and one mentioned herein is that of Edgar Cayce. I enjoin the reader to also try reading Lobsang Rampa. Just a speculation, those of you with Christian upbringing, would you be averse to the idea that before the Final Judgment, your spirit may be allowed to take on other bodies to be reborn with and have other trials in other lifetimes? This is the essence of reincarnation that those belonging to the major Asian religions, namely, Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Sikhism have incorporated in their belief.

I am not averse to giving Yesterday a rating of 4 out of 4 stars The errors I encountered, grammatical or otherwise were too few to mention. Perhaps, should I be made to review the same in my next reincarnation, my rating will stand the same. I recommend this book to those who have a sense of history and a heart for romance.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Roggyrus's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sarah Tariq
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 17 Feb 2018, 11:23

It's an amazing book. The smooth interpretation of reincarnation and Civil War incidents makes this book an awesome read. Thanks for your nice and informative review. I have also reviewed this book. You can check it out if you like.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

Irene C
2018 Reading Goal: 13
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 246
Currently Reading: The Orphan Master
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C » 17 Feb 2018, 16:07

Thanks for this review. Samyann did great historical research, and perhaps the best part is that it was clearly to serve the plot or the motifs of the novel. The bells were a nice running symbol.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton

Momiji1987
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 191
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momiji1987.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Momiji1987 » 17 Feb 2018, 23:34

Great review, I enjoyed all the in-depth descriptions you included! As far as reincarnation goes, I’m not really sure what to think of it. I’ve heard stories of people who can literally remember dying or growing up in a place they have never visited before. I think that’s very interesting. I’m also not sure if reincarnation is completely unbiblical. When Jesus was resurrected he appeared to his disciples as a completely different person; when they finally realized they had been talking to Jesus the whole time, he disappeared, so it’s almost like Jesus temporarily reincarnated into a different body, but he knew who he was and it was only the disciples that didn’t recognize him. So I don’t know. I think it’s possible that some souls reincarnate, but others don’t. I’ve always been interested in the idea, and I believe some people have experienced it. I’m not sure what it means beyond that though.

CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Killian's Masterpiece by Jill Shannon
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 25 Feb 2018, 12:19

This sounds like a pretty awesome book. For some reason, it brings to mind Kindred, by Octavia E. Butler. It is about a modern black woman who is transported to antebellum Maryland and must save the life of a white ancestor. Traveling between time and space, when done right, can make for a really awesome book.

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Out of the Darkness, Kaboe Valley by Frank Gee

Post by kdstrack » 26 Feb 2018, 09:01

Interesting review. The author did an excellent job of incorporating her knowledge of this time period into the story. I don't think Christians would want to be reincarnated. Their hope is in heaven - a much better place than here. Why would you want to go through an endless cycle of reincarnation when you can exit to Paradise at God's calling? Reincarnation seems like a hopeless belief. How do you ever know when your reincarnating cycles are over? No one can tell us. Both beliefs depend on faith.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”