Review by cristinaro -- Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by cristinaro -- Heaven and Earth by Arturo Riojas

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Arturo Riojas’s book Heaven and Earth (398 pages) offers an interesting blending of fact and fiction. Heavily relying on the author’s specialization in chemical and environmental engineering, it addresses the issue of cadmium, a carcinogenic heavy metal to be found in water and food supplies and most likely seriously affecting human health. With this aim in mind, Riojas manages to write a highly appealing science-fiction novel which poses fundamental existential questions regarding our place and role in the universe, the organization of human society, the past and future of our planet and so on.

From the very beginning, the structure of the book strikes by its originality since after each of the 21 well-developed chapters there is an insertion of information containing Cadmium Poisoning Facts not only for dissemination purposes but also as a warning for any potential readers. The prologue reveals the fact that aliens visited Earth many thousands of years ago planting seeds of knowledge for the Earthlings to benefit from and for the future interest of Treretum, the planet where they came from. A new spacecraft sent to collect more data about Earth hovers over present-day Atlanta with Houston and Area 51 as their next destinations. The subsequent meetings between a few carefully selected people on Earth and the aliens make up the focus of a storyline whose pace may be slow at first but always rewarding in terms of the exciting matters it addresses.

The novel features two protagonists: Olga Ramos, a brilliant young woman who earned her doctorate from the Aeronautical Engineering Department at Stanford University and was working as one of the principal researchers at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena, California and her Mexican friend Cuahtémoc Gavilán, an environmental engineer whom she met at Stanford and who seems to be Arturo Riojas’s alter-ego in the book. They both want to attend that year’s Powwow gathering at Stanford, but Olga has first to attend a conference organized by the Department of Defense in Houston with the best scientists and engineers invited to attend in the name of national security. Since Olga is an expert in computer-enhanced, high-resolution digital photography used for her project on Interstellar Surveillance – Search for Life she is included in one of the sessions of the conference and has accepted the invitation with the hope of beneficial exchange of information with other scientists. What she cannot understand while at the event is the high level of secrecy surrounding the conference whose main purpose seems to be different from what she initially expected.

Olga’s rebellious nature attracts both the unwanted attention of Homeland Security which sends Agent Bob Stevenson to track down her every step and the interest of Dr. William R. Welch (Billy Ruben) from CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) and of his young data analyst, Sam Robinson who are involved in a project of statistical analysis of data on cadmium and its effects on human health. Olga, Gavilán, Dr. Welch and Sam are driven by their curiosity to discover what the government is trying to hide and thus are thrown in an adventure in which they will find out what is hidden in Hangar 18 of famous Area 51, Nevada and they will have the chance to have ample conversations with Nivla of the alien Kcalb Clan and his two drones, Cinz and Reppoc. The tension build up gradually reaching climactic moments toward the end of the story when Olga and Gavilán find themselves in life-and-death situations and have to figure out if the aliens have come to Earth only to help and gather information or have some other secret agenda too. The scenes on the alien spacecraft depicting the confrontation between two alien clans and their fight against the Muimdac invasion add additional suspense to an already gripping plot.

All in all, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it displays a stylistic variety meant to satisfy different readers’ tastes: humorous exchanges between the protagonists, colorful Spanish retorts hiding an incipient love story between Olga and Gavilán, highly documented scientific facts about cadmium poisoning, attempts to answer social, medical, economic and political concerns and a suspense-filled plot bringing together human beings and aliens in an effort to unravel the mysteries of the universe.

Heaven and Earth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cristinaro's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There are a lot of varying reviews on this. Some people really like it and some not so much. I'm unsure where I would lie, but I suppose I should try it. Thanks for the great information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi, Cristinaro! I wouldn't be surprised to know that you are a scientist. You seem to have grasped the author's message superbly. Other reviewers have given this piece a so-so rating, and yours is AFAIK the only one with 4 stars.

I like your summary; it's technical but easy to read. I think I will give cadmium poisoning a good look.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 21:11 Hi, Cristinaro! I wouldn't be surprised to know that you are a scientist. You seem to have grasped the author's message superbly. Other reviewers have given this piece a so-so rating, and yours is AFAIK the only one with 4 stars.

I like your summary; it's technical but easy to read. I think I will give cadmium poisoning a good look.
Thank you very much. I am a scientist in a way if the fact that I loved mathematics in school counts for anything. :) What I actually appreciated about this author is the fact that he has struggled to write a novel just to raise people's awareness on cadmium poisoning. I checked the technical aspects on the internet and I soon discovered that what he kept telling in the book was the truth. Before reading the book, I had no idea cadmium existed and nothing whatsoever about its poisonous effect on our body, that we accumulate it from various things we eat, etc., that we can reduce it by taking zinc, etc. Besides, the author has a PhD in engineering, he obviously knows a lot of things. We have to give him some credit: he chooses to write about real scientific facts paradoxically in a science-fiction novel and although dragging at times because of his lack of experience, the science-fiction plot is not so bad either. On top of that, the editing is very good. I think he may actually turn into a very good writer if he keeps doing it. :)
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 08:25 There are a lot of varying reviews on this. Some people really like it and some not so much. I'm unsure where I would lie, but I suppose I should try it. Thanks for the great information!
It is certainly worth a try. Some may say the book is not what they expected in terms of science-fiction proper as it also turns into a social and political manifesto. I was tempted to do this at first too, but putting the cadmium poisoning facts aside, you still have a story to follow. After I finished reading, I actually felt like I was at the beginning of a series, like I expected more to come. I think the author himself was more concerned with the message about cadmium he wanted to send and was not totally aware that he does have an unexploited literary talent that needs to be further developed. Anyway, thanks for reading the review.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

This is a very well written review. Great job. I'm not sure if this is the book for me, but it seems like the author had to prove themselves to get such a high score from you.
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

Thank you for a truly interesting review. It seems like one can learn a few things from the book :)
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Feb 2018, 08:25 There are a lot of varying reviews on this. Some people really like it and some not so much. I'm unsure where I would lie, but I suppose I should try it. Thanks for the great information!
Thanks for your interest. Give it a try at least for the novelty of the information on cadmium and for the author's expressed desire to change some things about the current state of affairs in the world.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Stapes wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 11:47 Thank you for a truly interesting review. It seems like one can learn a few things from the book :)
Thank you. Yes, I honestly believe we can learn some new things that may help us improve our lifestyle. Besides, the science fiction part is not so bad either.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

CommMayo wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 11:18 This is a very well written review. Great job. I'm not sure if this is the book for me, but it seems like the author had to prove themselves to get such a high score from you.
Thank you very much. I think you can at least check it out even if it is not exactly your cup of tea.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Hmm, this book contains a scientific and reality-based plot. It's very rare in science fiction. I appreciate author for this. Thank you so much for your informative review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

It is good to note that the author is an authority in the field. You have enjoyed reading this book, I can tell.
Though I am not into this fiction story, the fact that he has added some factual information makes this book a good read.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Sarah Tariq wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 12:08 Hmm, this book contains a scientific and reality-based plot. It's very rare in science fiction. I appreciate author for this. Thank you so much for your informative review.
Yes, it is an interesting combination meant to attract a larger audience. Thanks.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Paul78 wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 12:55 It is good to note that the author is an authority in the field. You have enjoyed reading this book, I can tell.
Though I am not into this fiction story, the fact that he has added some factual information makes this book a good read.
Thank you. Yes, I guess I did enjoy it in the end although I had mixed feelings about it in the beginning.
Magnus1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Magnus1111 »

I've read many science fiction books but never have I read a book like this one. While it does have fiction elements the book goes though a lot of trouble too teach us facts about science. It also teaches us the flaws of society.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”